Interesting Reddit Thread: Tank Top Garments Coming Soon?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Emower

Re: Interesting Reddit Thread: Tank Top Garments Coming Soon?

Post by Emower » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:28 am

I wonder if an enterprising exmo could make any money making black apostate garments. They could be worn for the shock value.

The Beast

Post by The Beast » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:54 am

dogbite wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:51 am
Or subcutaneous marker implants. Anyone for pierced nipples?
The most embarrassing thing about Gs is still the marks over your nips.
Are you on the square? Are you on the level?

didyoumythme

Post by didyoumythme » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:19 am

Funny memory - In high school we had to wear a white T-shirt to PE, so I grabbed one from my drawer and wore it at school. I noticed weird stitching over the nips, but asked my mom about it when I got home still wearing it. She gasped and said-

"Where did you get that?"
"My drawer."
"Take it off right now" (in hushed tone)
"But what are these markings?"
"Those are dads garments, take it off!"

I'm just glad no one at school called me out on my nip symbols.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being honest, or cease being mistaken. - Anonymous

Enoch Witty

Post by Enoch Witty » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:36 am

didyoumythme wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:19 am
Funny memory - In high school we had to wear a white T-shirt to PE, so I grabbed one from my drawer and wore it at school. I noticed weird stitching over the nips, but asked my mom about it when I got home still wearing it. She gasped and said-

"My drawer."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is a good story. Thanks for sharing.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:41 am

I'll believe it when President Newsroom produces a video showing the "new" Polygamy Panties.

No matter how much they change them, they'll still represent Joseph's attempts to keep is predatory behavior secret, and they always will...
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:51 am

didyoumythme wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:19 am

"My drawer."

We had a female 20 year old investigator we were teaching at the church each week since we couldn't teach her alone at her apartment. Half way through the lesson I notice she's wearing a men's cotton garment top. I didn't say anything at first. Then my companion notices and he asks her where she got the shirt? She said she grabbed it out of her room mates drawer. My companion asked her if her room mate was a man and if he was mormon. She replied, yes how did you know that?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

dogbite

Post by dogbite » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:31 pm

For me the markings always unstitched themselves fairly quickly. No I didn't pick at them. But wear and laundry and long before the clothes were worn out the markings were gone. The knee would usually wear the fastest. The rule the second. The corner in the right angle made that last the longest.

I never worried about the marks being gone. I was to cheap to worry about the cheap craftsmanship. Also made disposal easy. There was already nothing to remove and destroy.

shethinksdeep

Post by shethinksdeep » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:59 am

wtfluff wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:41 am
No matter how much they change them, they'll still represent Joseph's attempts to keep is predatory behavior secret, and they always will...
Do you have any sources on this? If so, please share. I have had similar suspicions about the temple, and I would be fascinated to read more facts about this connection. Thank you in advance!

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:41 am

shethinksdeep wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:59 am
wtfluff wrote:
Do you have any sources on this? If so, please share. I have had similar suspicions about the temple, and I would be fascinated to read more facts about this connection. Thank you in advance!
In my opinion, this comes from the "annointed quorum" who were the secret elite mormons hand picked and the first to receive temple ordinances and also among those first chosen to enter polygamy.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:07 am

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:41 am
shethinksdeep wrote:
wtfluff wrote:
In my opinion, this comes from the "annointed quorum" who were the secret elite mormons hand picked and the first to receive temple ordinances and also among those first chosen to enter polygamy.
I don't have any specific sources for this beyond what I have gleaned from the DAMU, and Occam's Razor.

As FiveFingerMnemonic mentioned, when Joseph originally plagiarized the endowment from the Masons, the majority of his inner circle who received the endowment were people who were in on the secret of him practicing polygamy. We know for a fact that Joseph wanted to keep his polygamy secret, as there is ample documentation of him lying about it in public. The folks who were part of the "Anointed Quorum" didn't necessarily have to be practicing polygamy themselves, but they were part of his "inner group", and bottom line: The endowment is about keeping secrets.

Also, looking at the history of the temple: The Kirtland temple was pretty much nothing more than a glorified meeting house, where everyone was welcome inside. But once the Nauvoo temple was completed, everyone was not welcome inside, only the elite few were allowed inside to practice the secret rituals. What changed between Kirtland and Nauvoo? Polygamy.

As Lindsay Hansen Park says (probably not a direct quote): Literally everything in mormonism is related to polygamy somehow.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

shethinksdeep

Post by shethinksdeep » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:42 am

wtfluff wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:07 am
As FiveFingerMnemonic mentioned, when Joseph originally plagiarized the endowment from the Masons, the only folks who received the endowment were people who were in on the secret of him practicing polygamy. We know for a fact that Joseph wanted to keep his polygamy secret, as there is ample documentation of him lying about it in public. The folks who were part of the "Anointed Quorum" didn't necessarily have to be practicing polygamy themselves, but they were part of his "inner group", and bottom line: The endowment is about keeping secrets.
Thanks FiveFingerMnemonic & wtfluff! This is intriguing to me, and just proves that there is always more to learn and that you can always go deeper. I will be researching this to be sure. I appreciate the nudge.

SeeNoEvil

Post by SeeNoEvil » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:20 am

This garment thread is interesting. The possibility of a new garment coming out is one I won't bet on but who knows what the church is thinking these days. After all they did do weird stuff like put up pictures of the secret sacred garments in the news for all to see and then there was the seer stone moment ..... but sleeveless garments?? I haven't worn garments since 2011. The only time in my entire life that I recall ever talking about my underwear is with Mormons. Just another Mormon obsession along with:

Who wears garments and who doesn't
Who wears sleeves and who doesn't
Who drinks coffee or tea and who doesn't
Who went on a mission and who didn't
Who came home early and who didn't
Who went to BYU and who didn't
Who was married in the temple and who didn't
Who is temple worthy and who isn't
Who's a SAHM and who isn't
Who's spouse is a member and who's isn't
Who has a temple recommend and who doesn't

I'm sure I've forgotten something.... the list of what only Mormons care about is long! Silly Mormons!
"Every event that has taken place in this universe has led you to this moment.
... The real question is, what will you do with this moment?" - Unknown

"Never arrive @ a point where you know everything - Korihor57

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:39 am

shethinksdeep wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:42 am
Thanks FiveFingerMnemonic & wtfluff! This is intriguing to me, and just proves that there is always more to learn and that you can always go deeper. I will be researching this to be sure. I appreciate the nudge.
Mormon Think is a great place to start.
The temple ceremony coincided with plural marriage as practiced by the early saints. As Joseph did not want to let the masses know about polygamy, he may have introduced the temple ceremony as a way of keeping polygamy a secret while introducing select members into the practice of plural marriage. As an important element of the temple ceremony is to never reveal what happens in the temple, even under penalty of death (before 1990), this would help keep the polygamous marriages a secret by the people that knew about them.

The following website provides some interesting speculation on this:

http://www.i4m.com/think/temples/temple_legacy.htm

The new and everlasting covenant

The "new and everlasting covenant" revealed in the temple ceremony is generally considered by most modern LDS members as pertaining to celestial marriage. However in the early days of the Church, it clearly meant polygamy. LDS apologists do not dispute the original meaning of the term as referring to polygamy.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

shethinksdeep

Post by shethinksdeep » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:21 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:39 am
Mormon Think is a great place to start.
Thanks Red Ryder! I have read Mormon Think, but it has been awhile... and when I did... I devoured it and finished reading it in its entirety within a week. It doesn't surprise me that all of the details didn't stick - it was a lot of information at once. I have been thinking I should go back and read it at a slower pace (focusing on a topic at a time and using other sources as well) so I can digest it fully and remember the things that I have forgotten. This topic is probably the one I will start with! ;)
Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:39 am
The following website provides some interesting speculation on this:

http://www.i4m.com/think/temples/temple_legacy.htm
Darn, that link doesn't seem to work anymore.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:09 pm

Tank top garments come out and I guarantee the majority of Mormon women suddenly have the need to immediately buy 10 new sets each. $$

Not that I'm complaining, I would be one of them. Especially if the fabric is suddenly breathable.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:17 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:09 pm
Tank top garments come out and I guarantee the majority of Mormon women suddenly have the need to immediately buy 10 new sets each. $$

Not that I'm complaining, I would be one of them. Especially if the fabric is suddenly breathable.
If true, this could very well be an effort at subsidizing a waning garment industry for the church. Remember when little temples came out and everyone was encouraged to buy their own set of temple clothes? According to Daymon Smith in Book of Mammon, that was an effort to keep beehive clothing going so they wouldn't have to let workers go.

trophywife26.2

Post by trophywife26.2 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:13 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:09 pm

WOW! Never even thought that it could be a ploy for money. I am very skeptical of it all, but interesting conversation here.
Even if it's something disappointing, it's still better to know the truth. Because people can deal with disappointment. And once they've done that, they can feel that they have really grown. And that can be such a good feeling. -Fred Rogers

MerrieMiss

Post by MerrieMiss » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:49 am

SeeNoEvil wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:20 am

Who wears garments and who doesn't
Who wears sleeves and who doesn't
Who drinks coffee or tea and who doesn't
Who went on a mission and who didn't
Who came home early and who didn't
Who went to BYU and who didn't
Who was married in the temple and who didn't
Who is temple worthy and who isn't
Who's a SAHM and who isn't
Who's spouse is a member and who's isn't
Who has a temple recommend and who doesn't
Ugh! It sounds like Sunday afternoon at my in-laws!

Silver Girl

Post by Silver Girl » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:52 pm

dogbite wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:51 am
Or subcutaneous marker implants. Anyone for pierced nipples?
Oooh - how about a tattoo of 666!!!
Silver Girl is sailing into the future. She is no longer scared.

shadow

Post by shadow » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:03 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:07 am
shethinksdeep wrote:

I don't have any specific sources for this beyond what I have gleaned from the DAMU, and Occam's Razor.

As FiveFingerMnemonic mentioned, when Joseph originally plagiarized the endowment from the Masons, the majority of his inner circle who received the endowment were people who were in on the secret of him practicing polygamy. We know for a fact that Joseph wanted to keep his polygamy secret, as there is ample documentation of him lying about it in public. The folks who were part of the "Anointed Quorum" didn't necessarily have to be practicing polygamy themselves, but they were part of his "inner group", and bottom line: The endowment is about keeping secrets.

Also, looking at the history of the temple: The Kirtland temple was pretty much nothing more than a glorified meeting house, where everyone was welcome inside. But once the Nauvoo temple was completed, everyone was not welcome inside, only the elite few were allowed inside to practice the secret rituals. What changed between Kirtland and Nauvoo? Polygamy.

As Lindsay Hansen Park says (probably not a direct quote): Literally everything in mormonism is related to polygamy somehow.
It was this connection that really made wearing garments painful for me and why I will never do so again. The more I learned about polygamy, Nauvoo, and the temple, the more keenly I was aware of the markings on my garments. I still wear boxer briefs and usually a white undershirt, at least to work, but now I do it because that's what's comfortable to me instead of comfort being a secondary consideration to my underwear being a reminder of polygamy.

What's frustrating is that my wife saw my change as a repudiation of our own marriage covenant instead of a repudiation of polygamy, which is why it took a long time to ease into the change by bizarre tactics such as not wearing a top to work, but quickly putting one one when I changed my clothes after getting home.
"Healing is impossible in loneliness; it is the opposite of loneliness. Conviviality is healing. To be healed we must come with all the other creates to the feast of Creation." --Wendell Berry