Sheesh! Who is God mad at now?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

Re: Sheesh! Who is God mad at now?

Post by Hagoth » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:10 pm

For example, the list of major earthquakes in The World Almanac and Book of Facts, 2004 shows twice as many earthquakes in the decades of the 1980s and 1990s as in the two preceding decades (pp. 189–90). It also shows further sharp increases in the first several years of this century.
I wonder if Elder Oaks looked beyond the Book of Facts to investigate how the technologies for detecting and reporting smaller and more remote earthquakes might also be increasing. This kind of fear mongering is inexcusable. That's what AM talk radio is for.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:13 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:52 pm
Hagoth wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:51 am
I couldn't help but feel a little bit smug when that televangelist who blames gay people for hurricanes had his house obliterated by Harvey.
Yeah. What a krappy way for that dude's "god" to tell him (and the rest of the world) that he's gay.
I am still LMAO about this!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:19 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:13 pm
wtfluff wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:52 pm
Hagoth wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:51 am
I couldn't help but feel a little bit smug when that televangelist who blames gay people for hurricanes had his house obliterated by Harvey.
Yeah. What a krappy way for that dude's "god" to tell him (and the rest of the world) that he's gay.
I am still LMAO about this!
Well... I'm pretty sure I plagiarized that from someone else.

I hope it didn't sound homophobic. I've spent quite a few years trying to get rid of that mindset, but 40+ years of brainwashing and indoctrination takes a while to get over.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:14 pm

Linked wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:07 am
Give It Time wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:42 pm
I was thinking we might be hearing more about the Second Coming at church.
I think we will get a talk similar to Dallin Oaks' 2004 talk "Preparation for the Second Coming" in General Conference next month. From the talk:
These signs of the Second Coming are all around us and seem to be increasing in frequency and intensity. For example, the list of major earthquakes in The World Almanac and Book of Facts, 2004 shows twice as many earthquakes in the decades of the 1980s and 1990s as in the two preceding decades (pp. 189–90). It also shows further sharp increases in the first several years of this century. The list of notable floods and tidal waves and the list of hurricanes, typhoons, and blizzards worldwide show similar increases in recent years (pp. 188–89). Increases by comparison with 50 years ago can be dismissed as changes in reporting criteria, but the accelerating pattern of natural disasters in the last few decades is ominous.
Maybe they will even speculate a specific evil in the world at the heart of the cause. Somehow it will match up really well with their agenda.

Red Ryder wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:19 am
Hurricanes
Floods
More hurricanes
... and earthquakes too?

Who is God mad at now?

Intellectuals?
Exmo Redditors?
Feminists?
John Dehlin?
The apostles?
The wife with a purpose?
Korihor?
Joel Osteen?
Tank top garments?
MormonLeaks?
Republicans?
Big truck owners?
Kyrie Irving?
The Kansas City Chiefs?
Donald?

Whomever it is, will you please stop pissing Him off! Please, for the sake of humanity?
I'm going with Gordon Hayward. He left the one true team, the Utah Jazz.
Alas, I will be skipping conference, this year.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:05 pm

It's hard to tell. The state of Texas did lend their electoral votes to Trump, but the precincts around Houston clearly leaned towards Clinton. I suppose pundits from either side could use this situation in their rhetoric.

Random

Post by Random » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:56 pm

I found this interesting. Thank you for responding.
Give It Time wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:23 pm
We have a vendor in India. They weren't able to go in to work, a couple of days last week, to do work for us. It's horrible. It's my understanding it's kind of a semi- regular thing for them. Not to downgrade their troubles, just taking it out of the prediction matrix. I do think your post is interesting, because Buddha predicted a Savior coming to save a dying world about 5,000 years in the future. If one reckons time by the Hindu calendar, that day past about 60 years ago.

I've come to not believe in end of the world prophecies, but it was interesting that pretty much every religion has a Savior saving a dying world prophecy and they all sound similar. Let's say I don't believe in it, but I'm open to the possibility.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Random

Post by Random » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:04 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:05 pm
The death toll for Hurricane Harvey has hit 70. For number of lives lost compare with:

1-4 Million - China flood, July 1931
1-2 Million -Yellow River flood,China, September 1887
280,000 Earthquake and tsunami,Indian Ocean, December, 2004
750,000–500,000 - Bhola cyclone, Bangladesh, November, 1970
300,000 - India cyclone, November 26, 1839
242,000–655,000 - Tangshan earthquake, China, July, 1976
229,000 Typhoon Nina & Banqiao Dam failure China, August 7, 1975

And many, many, many, many more.

If anyone is wreaking apocalyptic vengeance on the earth I would say it's the ancestors of the Chinese.
Wow!! Image
Are people not aware that fires, hurricane, earthquakes and eclipses have been going on throughout all of history? Sometimes they happen in close spacial or temporal proximity. The US has never seen anything remotely comparable to the horrible devistation that has happened in the past to many other countries. When it happens here to a much lesser degree all of a sudden its the end of the world.
Yes, they have, and I think a lot of people know it. I did not know all of that was happening to China.
I still think this country is on the way out, though (via violence, breaking down of society, etc.), and that fire, earthquakes, and storms are on the increase if one looked at data over the last 200 years. Still, not as horrendous as the data you posted.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

PK

Random

Post by Random » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:05 pm

oliver_denom wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:27 pm
I'll go ahead and prophesy an earthquake in California. If it happens people will think I'm psychic, if not, then they'll forget I ever posted this.

PK

Random

Post by Random » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:08 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:10 pm
the technologies for detecting and reporting smaller and more remote earthquakes might also be increasing.
Definitely a factor in more and more earthquakes being reported.

PK

Random

Post by Random » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:10 pm

Silver Girl wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:20 pm
I'll predict a subduction earthquake in the NW states (separate from the CA quake) and an eruption of the Yellowstone Caldera.
And the winner is when the caldera goes Image

PK

Random

Post by Random » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:13 pm

If God does cause or allow natural disasters, I would think the purpose would be to humble people so they'd turn to him, not to punish people nor to beat them into submission.

In any case, it will be interesting to see if, in approximately 7 years when the next full eclipse comes over the USA, this country begins to seriously be crossed off the map.

PK

LSOF

Post by LSOF » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:01 pm

Random wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:13 pm
If God does cause or allow natural disasters, I would think the purpose would be to humble people so they'd turn to him, not to punish people nor to beat them into submission.
What's the difference?
"I appreciate your flesh needs to martyr me." Parture

"There is no contradiction between faith and science --- true science." Dr Zaius

Pastor, Lunar Society of Friends; CEO, Faithful Origins and Ontology League

oliver_denom

Post by oliver_denom » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:18 pm

LSOF wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:01 pm
Random wrote:
What's the difference?
What would really be humbling is for God to show up and talk to everyone about life, its purpose, and how it's all worth it even if we screw things up sometimes. It would be great to see someone so much bigger and powerful than us come out of the heavens and just talk like a grown-up as opposed to randomly shaking the earth and speaking through angry old white guys.
“You want to know something? We are still in the Dark Ages. The Dark Ages--they haven't ended yet.” - Vonnegut

L'enfer, c'est les autres - JP

SeeNoEvil

Post by SeeNoEvil » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:56 pm

Silver Girl wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:20 pm
oliver_denom wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:27 pm
I'll go ahead and prophesy an earthquake in California. If it happens people will think I'm psychic, if not, then they'll forget I ever posted this.
I'll predict a subduction earthquake in the NW states (separate from the CA quake) and an eruption of the Yellowstone Caldera.
Ooooh Ooooh! This gets my vote!
"Every event that has taken place in this universe has led you to this moment.
... The real question is, what will you do with this moment?" - Unknown

"Never arrive @ a point where you know everything - Korihor57

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:37 am

Random wrote:
The problem is that it is always the humblest people who suffer the most.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:43 am

One of these things comes along at least once a decade and someone usually makes a lot of money from a book
or crowd funding or something . There was the Jupiter Effect, the Cosmic Alignment, jean Dixon's earthquake prophesy, Y2K, the end of the Maya calendar, the Camping Apocalypse and several others I can't recall right now.

So it has always been and so it shall ever be. That was me prophesying if you couldn't tell.

Random

Post by Random » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:03 pm

LSOF wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:01 pm
Random wrote:
What's the difference?
In my experience, God does not punish us. I think we, on this earth, are becoming far too violent. I think the earth responds with natural disasters and the more violent and unloving we become, the more unstable the earth becomes. I think reversing that would gradually reverse nature's destructions. I think God wants us to talk to them (him/her), to turn our hearts to them. I think they want us to stop being angry, vengeful, and doing so many things to hurt others. I can't say why some areas are more prone to natural disasters (or why Harvey hit land, then went back out to sea to pick up more water to dump on Houston) because I don't know. All I know is what I see from my paradigm - and I readily admit that my paradigms might not be reality. And I wonder . . . is it possible that none of us see the true reality of things here, on this planet, in this mortal life.

PK

Random

Post by Random » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:04 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:43 am
So it has always been and so it shall ever be. That was me prophesying if you couldn't tell.
I hereby declare you a true prophet - and look forward to the book(s) that come about because of this.

PK

Random

Post by Random » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:06 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:37 am
Random wrote:
I think that is true a lot of the time, but I would hesitate to say "always". I really do think that God wants all of us to wake up and turn to them - not to the sects who throw their weight around, pretending to speak for God and to have a corner on truth, but to the Gods that reside within our souls, the ones that we might recognize if we could only throw out all the stuff the pollutes us.

PK

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:18 am

Random wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:06 pm
Hagoth wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:37 am
Random wrote:
I think that is true a lot of the time, but I would hesitate to say "always". I really do think that God wants all of us to wake up and turn to them - not to the sects who throw their weight around, pretending to speak for God and to have a corner on truth, but to the Gods that reside within our souls, the ones that we might recognize if we could only throw out all the stuff the pollutes us.
This is very good. I will also add a few comments about Houston vs Mumbai. Houston has been hit by a hurricane and it was a cataclysmic disaster. I don't like trivializing the word tragedy, but I believe it applies here. The death toll is, last I've heard, around 60. Mumbai has been having an unusually bad typhoon season. Their typhoon seasons generally shut down the city for at least a little while. However, their situation has been cataclysmic and tragic as well. Their death toll has been over 1,000 people, this year and a five story building collapsed while people were inside it. Houston has a population of 2.3 million is 18.4 million. Houston would have better infrastructure and resources than Mumbai.

It rains on the just and the unjust. I'm inclined to agree it's not the unrighteous who are hit the hardest, but the humble.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren