Sheesh! Who is God mad at now?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Red Ryder

Sheesh! Who is God mad at now?

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:19 am

Hurricanes
Floods
More hurricanes
... and earthquakes too?

Who is God mad at now?

Intellectuals?
Exmo Redditors?
Feminists?
John Dehlin?
The apostles?
The wife with a purpose?
Korihor?
Joel Osteen?
Tank top garments?
MormonLeaks?
Republicans?
Big truck owners?
Kyrie Irving?
The Kansas City Chiefs?
Donald?

Whomever it is, will you please stop pissing Him off! Please, for the sake of humanity?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Hagoth

Re: Sheesh! Who is God mad at now?

Post by Hagoth » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:51 am

I couldn't help but feel a little bit smug when that televangelist who blames gay people for hurricanes had his house obliterated by Harvey.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:42 pm

I was thinking we might be hearing more about the Second Coming at church.

You've got a point.

My guess is the Donald and neo-Nazis.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:52 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:51 am
I couldn't help but feel a little bit smug when that televangelist who blames gay people for hurricanes had his house obliterated by Harvey.
Yeah. What a krappy way for that dude's "god" to tell him (and the rest of the world) that he's gay.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:31 pm

Am I allowed to take comfort in the fact that I am doing pretty well personally? Does this translate into a divine acceptance of whatever I am doing in my life?

OR

I'm lucky I live nowhere near the ocean or an earthquake prone area.

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:18 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:19 am
Hurricanes
Floods
More hurricanes
... and earthquakes too?

Who is God mad at now?

Intellectuals?
Exmo Redditors?
Feminists?
John Dehlin?
The apostles?
The wife with a purpose?
Korihor?
Joel Osteen?
Tank top garments?
MormonLeaks?
Republicans?
Big truck owners?
Kyrie Irving?
The Kansas City Chiefs?
Donald?

Whomever it is, will you please stop pissing Him off! Please, for the sake of humanity?
God can take a ticket and get in line.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:20 pm

Corsair wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:31 pm
Am I allowed to take comfort in the fact that I am doing pretty well personally? Does this translate into a divine acceptance of whatever I am doing in my life?

OR

I'm lucky I live nowhere near the ocean or an earthquake prone area.
I'd watch your back and increase your 73 hour kit. After all, you did just have a gay wedding.

Actually, according to Kirk Cameron, the hurricanes were sent from God for reasons we may not understand. That sounds eerily familiar.
The actor said the hurricanes are "a spectacular display of God’s immense power" and he didn't send them without reason.

"When he puts his power on display, it’s never without reason. There’s a purpose. And we may not always understand what that purpose is, but we know it’s not random and we know that weather is sent to cause us to respond to God in humility, awe and repentance," he said in a video on Facebook.
Ironically, Kirk was at the airport fleeing Florida knowing deep down prayers may not be enough.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Random

Post by Random » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:21 pm

What I find interesting is that there was a guy on YouTube named Mark Biltz who has been saying that the eclipse portends bad things for the U.S., especially since it came on a Jewish holy day. I watched his videos before the eclipse, and some of those videos are more than a few months old. Looks like he was spot on that it (they, if you include the one in 7 years that completes the X as God crosses us off the map) portends bad things happening to the U.S.

Eclipse>fires>hurricanes>floods>earthquakes. Not that one necessarily led to the other, but that these disasters seem to have all come after the eclipse. The four angels of the apocalypse who rule fire, wind, water, and earth.

Did you know about the flooding in India? I just found out about it maybe an hour or two ago.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... s-in-years
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:23 pm

We have a vendor in India. They weren't able to go in to work, a couple of days last week, to do work for us. It's horrible. It's my understanding it's kind of a semi- regular thing for them. Not to downgrade their troubles, just taking it out of the prediction matrix. I do think your post is interesting, because Buddha predicted a Savior coming to save a dying world about 5,000 years in the future. If one reckons time by the Hindu calendar, that day past about 60 years ago.

I've come to not believe in end of the world prophecies, but it was interesting that pretty much every religion has a Savior saving a dying world prophecy and they all sound similar. Let's say I don't believe in it, but I'm open to the possibility.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:26 am

Maybe god is out to destroy the LDS city they are planning.

Our corporate headquarters are in North central Florida. Even though I am nowhere near there, we are worried how this will affect us. Most of the people in the office have already left. They will shut down all the servers tonight and completely power down the building. So everything not on our local server will not be accessible. So we are going to loose e-mail, production systems, engineering, quality control, even the phones will go down. At this rate we how it will be back up by Monday, but we are worried. No to mention when people are going to be able to get back into the office. This could make next week at work very interesting.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:46 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:26 am
Maybe god is out to destroy the LDS city they are planning.

Our corporate headquarters are in North central Florida. Even though I am nowhere near there, we are worried how this will affect us. Most of the people in the office have already left. They will shut down all the servers tonight and completely power down the building. So everything not on our local server will not be accessible. So we are going to loose e-mail, production systems, engineering, quality control, even the phones will go down. At this rate we how it will be back up by Monday, but we are worried. No to mention when people are going to be able to get back into the office. This could make next week at work very interesting.
I've recently learned that these storms also wash alligators into buildings. Living in Florida, you're probably used to them, but I can imagine that adds an interesting aspect to returning and getting back to life.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:47 am

The actor said the hurricanes are "a spectacular display of God’s immense power" and he didn't send them without reason.

"When he puts his power on display, it’s never without reason. There’s a purpose. And we may not always understand what that purpose is, but we know it’s not random and we know that weather is sent to cause us to respond to God in humility, awe and repentance," he said in a video on Facebook.
So he's working at a level of sophistication that is roughly on par with 10,000 year old hunter-gatherer tribes.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:05 pm

Random wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:21 pm
What I find interesting is that there was a guy on YouTube named Mark Biltz who has been saying that the eclipse portends bad things for the U.S., especially since it came on a Jewish holy day. I watched his videos before the eclipse, and some of those videos are more than a few months old. Looks like he was spot on that it (they, if you include the one in 7 years that completes the X as God crosses us off the map) portends bad things happening to the U.S.

Eclipse>fires>hurricanes>floods>earthquakes. Not that one necessarily led to the other, but that these disasters seem to have all come after the eclipse. The four angels of the apocalypse who rule fire, wind, water, and earth.

Did you know about the flooding in India? I just found out about it maybe an hour or two ago.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... s-in-years
The death toll for Hurricane Harvey has hit 70. For number of lives lost compare with:

1-4 Million - China flood, July 1931
1-2 Million -Yellow River flood,China, September 1887
280,000 Earthquake and tsunami,Indian Ocean, December, 2004
750,000–500,000 - Bhola cyclone, Bangladesh, November, 1970
300,000 - India cyclone, November 26, 1839
242,000–655,000 - Tangshan earthquake, China, July, 1976
229,000 Typhoon Nina & Banqiao Dam failure China, August 7, 1975

And many, many, many, many more.

If anyone is wreaking apocalyptic vengeance on the earth I would say it's the ancestors of the Chinese.

Are people not aware that fires, hurricane, earthquakes and eclipses have been going on throughout all of history? Sometimes they happen in close spacial or temporal proximity. The US has never seen anything remotely comparable to the horrible devistation that has happened in the past to many other countries. When it happens here to a much lesser degree all of a sudden its the end of the world.

oliver_denom

Post by oliver_denom » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:27 pm

I'll go ahead and prophesy an earthquake in California. If it happens people will think I'm psychic, if not, then they'll forget I ever posted this.
“You want to know something? We are still in the Dark Ages. The Dark Ages--they haven't ended yet.” - Vonnegut

L'enfer, c'est les autres - JP

Newme

Post by Newme » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:48 pm

Give It Time wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:23 pm
... I do think your post is interesting, because Buddha predicted a Savior coming to save a dying world about 5,000 years in the future. If one reckons time by the Hindu calendar, that day past about 60 years ago.

I've come to not believe in end of the world prophecies, but it was interesting that pretty much every religion has a Savior saving a dying world prophecy and they all sound similar. Let's say I don't believe in it, but I'm open to the possibility.
Occasionally I reconsider the savior idea & I do see some good (like putting aside ego & forgiving), but human sacrifice scapegoat doesn't jive with what I sense as spiritual truth.
Maybe it's collective unconscious and Saviors as personification of spirituality that eventually & ideally, all will internalize to some degree. Not that we should sacrifice our lives necessarily- but sacrifice something from what talent or resources we can give to make this world better.

Time after time, GOoD is revealed primarily through "bad" events. If nobody was in such diar need, there would be no such generosity, compassion & heroism expressed.

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:58 pm

Newme wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:48 pm

Time after time, GOoD is revealed primarily through "bad" events. If nobody was in such diar need, there would be no such generosity, compassion & heroism expressed.
While I'm glad to see this happening I'm a little sad to see this is what it takes. This (and the solar eclipse) had/have us setting aside our differences and getting along. So...taking the God is behind this POV, maybe if society had collectively taken off their solar eclipse glasses and looked around at their neighbors and laid down their arms and sat down together to work things out, these horrific events wouldn't have happened. We all know that's not true, but still...

Silver Girl

Post by Silver Girl » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:20 pm

oliver_denom wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:27 pm
I'll go ahead and prophesy an earthquake in California. If it happens people will think I'm psychic, if not, then they'll forget I ever posted this.
I'll predict a subduction earthquake in the NW states (separate from the CA quake) and an eruption of the Yellowstone Caldera.
Silver Girl is sailing into the future. She is no longer scared.

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:57 pm

Apparently, not a tone-deaf Christian I know who lives in the upper Midwest who thanked Jesus that their family could have beautiful weather for their party today while Irma is battering FL. Took everything I had not to call out that nonsense.

Newme

Post by Newme » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:18 pm

Give It Time wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:58 pm
Newme wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:48 pm

While I'm glad to see this happening I'm a little sad to see this is what it takes. This (and the solar eclipse) had/have us setting aside our differences and getting along. So...taking the God is behind this POV, maybe if society had collectively taken off their solar eclipse glasses and looked around at their neighbors and laid down their arms and sat down together to work things out, these horrific events wouldn't have happened. We all know that's not true, but still...
Believe me, you're not the only struggling with punitiveness. The wind blows and I think, "who's fault is it"? :lol:

But yeah, ideally it doesn't take a bunch of hurricanes to humble us or make us love one another - but we're not always acting ideally. Sometimes we need a little motivation I guess.

Linked

Post by Linked » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:07 am

Give It Time wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:42 pm
I was thinking we might be hearing more about the Second Coming at church.
I think we will get a talk similar to Dallin Oaks' 2004 talk "Preparation for the Second Coming" in General Conference next month. From the talk:
These signs of the Second Coming are all around us and seem to be increasing in frequency and intensity. For example, the list of major earthquakes in The World Almanac and Book of Facts, 2004 shows twice as many earthquakes in the decades of the 1980s and 1990s as in the two preceding decades (pp. 189–90). It also shows further sharp increases in the first several years of this century. The list of notable floods and tidal waves and the list of hurricanes, typhoons, and blizzards worldwide show similar increases in recent years (pp. 188–89). Increases by comparison with 50 years ago can be dismissed as changes in reporting criteria, but the accelerating pattern of natural disasters in the last few decades is ominous.
Maybe they will even speculate a specific evil in the world at the heart of the cause. Somehow it will match up really well with their agenda.

Red Ryder wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:19 am
Hurricanes
Floods
More hurricanes
... and earthquakes too?

Who is God mad at now?

Intellectuals?
Exmo Redditors?
Feminists?
John Dehlin?
The apostles?
The wife with a purpose?
Korihor?
Joel Osteen?
Tank top garments?
MormonLeaks?
Republicans?
Big truck owners?
Kyrie Irving?
The Kansas City Chiefs?
Donald?

I'm going with Gordon Hayward. He left the one true team, the Utah Jazz.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut