Kidding Myself

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Anon70

Kidding Myself

Post by Anon70 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:36 pm

I spend most of my limited "free time" reading NOM, exmormon reddit, KiwiMormon, etc, etc. I think lately I had started to feel like, oh yea, everyone feels the way I do! The Church is on its way to irrelevancy!

THEN....I went to a Stake Conf. PACKED meetinghouse. Lots of talk about how real Satan is. Lots of "the CHURCH IS TWUE!". So.much.social.media.posts.all.day.long. Cause...feelings.

And I realized, at least where I'm living, I'm probably alone and better keep it zipped until DH sees things differently or when the kids are older. (DH will never see it differently). Happy for Hagoth to discover another non-believer...and maybe a little jealous too.

Linked

Re: Kidding Myself

Post by Linked » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:53 pm

I keep trying to convince myself that the pews are getting emptier at my church meetings in the heart of Utah. But I don't have the data and I don't think the bishop is planning to share it with me... I suspect I am deluding myself.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:06 pm

It's decaying slowly. But the heart of the beast (slc) is the last to show signs of mortality. The brain can degenerate to a mere spec of its former self but the heart keeps pumping. The extremities can wither but the heart keeps pumping. The digestive Tract might be extremely unsettled but the heart keeps pumping.

Fear not, the mighty beast is no longer the same threat as its former self. But the heart keeps pumping until it's pierced or loses contact with the head.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:11 pm

Like Herpes, it will probably never go away. But the outbreaks and irritation can be managed with the right medication. :lol:

Raylan Givens

Post by Raylan Givens » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:23 pm

I see a lot of contraction. I returned to SL County after an eight year absence.

The youth and wards here compared to the Old Pueblo seem to be less engaged, less interested (but the activity rates are probably higher than in AZ or WA, where I lived).

The youth that stick it out in the Old Pueblo have an it's us against them mentality and band together.

The first ward we moved to in Sugar House was a dying ward, the stake is contracting and combining wards and youth groups.

Same with our current ward in Holladay/Murray area. Very old, with little youth and lots of young families that have moved on from the church (I go cycling with a few of them, and they assure me it isn't few in number). The church in this area still has strength in numbers, but not like it used to.

My feeling is SL area is less Mormon, Utah county is very- and staying that way. The rest of Morcor is aging and the young people still go but don't want heavy burdens/callings.

Just my thoughts.
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens

crossmyheart

Post by crossmyheart » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:53 am

You are only paying attention to what you see. Start noticing what you don't see. Who isnt there? Who sits in the foyer week after week, or only shows up once or twice a month and sits in the back? Look at your ward list and compare to the actual congregation. That is how you find people like you. We are ingrained to only notice the families high up in their rameumptoms, but lose sight of the ones on the ground, doing the slow fade.

SeeNoEvil

Post by SeeNoEvil » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:56 am

Korihor wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:06 pm
It's decaying slowly. But the heart of the beast (slc) is the last to show signs of mortality. The brain can degenerate to a mere spec of its former self but the heart keeps pumping. The extremities can wither but the heart keeps pumping. The digestive Tract might be extremely unsettled but the heart keeps pumping.

Fear not, the mighty beast is no longer the same threat as its former self. But the heart keeps pumping until it's pierced or loses contact with the head.
THIS AND THIS!
Hermey wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:11 pm
Like Herpes, it will probably never go away. But the outbreaks and irritation can be managed with the right medication. :lol:
I have had conversations with many people who know all the churches warts yet continue to believe. I see it coming. One day their shelves will all crumble and fall. The seeds of apostasy have been planted!
"Every event that has taken place in this universe has led you to this moment.
... The real question is, what will you do with this moment?" - Unknown

"Never arrive @ a point where you know everything - Korihor57

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:08 pm

crossmyheart wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:53 am
You are only paying attention to what you see. Start noticing what you don't see. Who isnt there? Who sits in the foyer week after week, or only shows up once or twice a month and sits in the back? Look at your ward list and compare to the actual congregation. That is how you find people like you. We are ingrained to only notice the families high up in their rameumptoms, but lose sight of the ones on the ground, doing the slow fade.
This is fair. And maybe there were a bunch of "anon70s" who were forced to be there looking around going wth and thinking the same things I was.

Since moving here I have noticed that SS and RS attendance is not high. Lots of people wander on home after SM. It has caught the notice of at least my Bishop who has mentioned it a few times.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:13 pm

SeeNoEvil wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:56 am
Korihor wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:06 pm

THIS AND THIS!
Hermey wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:11 pm
I have had conversations with many people who know all the churches warts yet continue to believe. I see it coming. One day their shelves will all crumble and fall. The seeds of apostasy have been planted!
A man talked in church about how he read all the anti stuff, almost didn't join, then joined. I was skeptical.

But he actually made a ton of historically accurate comments during SS, as if they were merely interesting. They certainly weren't faith promoting...