Validation emails

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Red Ryder

Validation emails

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:33 am

I'm getting feedback that some people are not getting a validation email when they register.

We are watching the queue and manually pushing new people through while we look into why. We are also looking at options to sign up without an email.

Thanks for your patience.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

lostintime

Re: Validation emails

Post by lostintime » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:46 am

Yeah, I didn't get one, but decided to just try logging in anyways, and it worked just fine. Thanks for the efforts resurrecting NOM.

alas

Post by alas » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:58 am

Yes! I am in. I was anxiously awaiting my email, and saw LostInTime's post and decided to try just logging in and it worked.

Good to see familiar faces. And some of you have changed you names. I thought it was odd to see Korihor back after several years, but then realized, no it isn't the Korihor that was married to Melodica, but Kish.

I will set up my avatar in a minute.

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:06 am

Mine got caught in my spam filter, but I found it. Just a heads up for anyone who's waiting for theirs.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:29 am

I have been manually validating logins. I think that spam filters are catching a lot. Brand new domain names like "newordermormon.net" are often flagged as "suspicious" because spam and malware frequently are pushed from new domain names after older names get shut down. Plus, I don't know who or what might have been using this IP address before me (192.163.223.154).

If you have tried to register but seem to be having login problems, send me a PM on reddit or a message to the admin email (non@tranzatec.net).

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:32 am

glass shelf wrote:Mine got caught in my spam filter, but I found it. Just a heads up for anyone who's waiting for theirs.
My mother has cans and cans of spam in her food storage. As kids, we took the "keys" off the cans because they made great lock picking tools for the bedroom doors. To this day we still give my mom a hard time for keeping those spam cans for 20+ years. She always reminds us we can come over to eat during the apocalypse while we wait for the millennium to usher in. Assuming we can open the spam.

Typing that out puts a big smile on my face.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:47 am

Red Ryder wrote:My mother has cans and cans of spam in her food storage. As kids, we took the "keys" off the cans because they made great lock picking tools for the bedroom doors. To this day we still give my mom a hard time for keeping those spam cans for 20+ years. She always reminds us we can come over to eat during the apocalypse while we wait for the millennium to usher in. Assuming we can open the spam.
I can see the situation now:

"Well, civil society has collapse in the wake of nuclear war. It's a good thing that Mom faithfully kept up her food storage while we wait for Jesus to return", said Red Ryder.

"Let's open a can of spam. I'm starving", said Mrs. Ryder. "Wait, where are the keys to the spam containers?"

"Somebody took the spam key and locked themselves in the bathroom!", said Red. "I think it was one of the teenage boys!"

"Why would a teenage boy possibly want to do while locked in the bathroom", said Mrs. Red.

Red Ryder did not reply and hoped that his faithful wife would not see the knowing expression on his face. He knew very well what was going on locked behind that door and was glad that a teenage boy remembered to take the spam key with him

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:17 pm

Pretty sure my mom would rather die than eat current Spam let alone 20yo spam. I cannot relate to your story RR.

LostMormon

Post by LostMormon » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:47 pm

Never got the validation email, but after about an hour I was able to log in anyway :D

on a side note, I'm pretty sure my mother also still has shelves and shelves of spam, and yes, those keys were pretty dang cool. When the apocalypse comes, not only can you eat the spam inside, but you can use the empty can to shave with. I remember after peeling off the middle strip with the key, it would leave razor sharp edges on the top and bottom of the can.

notaNOM

Post by notaNOM » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:24 pm

Red Ryder wrote:I'm getting feedback that some people are not getting a validation email when they register.

We are watching the queue and manually pushing new people through while we look into why. We are also looking at options to sign up without an email.

Thanks for your patience.
I've never been manually pushed through before - thanks, guys, for a wonderful new experience. You cannot imagina how good it felt. :P

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:11 pm

lostintime wrote:Yeah, I didn't get one, but decided to just try logging in anyways, and it worked just fine. Thanks for the efforts resurrecting NOM.
Ditto :)

CaptainSalty
Site Admin

Post by CaptainSalty » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:38 pm

I'm still trying to figure out the validation emails problem. I have been manually validating everyone who signs up. But I have tried the validation email sign up on test account and they have worked. I'll keep working on it.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:52 am

glass shelf wrote:Mine got caught in my spam filter, but I found it. Just a heads up for anyone who's waiting for theirs.
Same here. I waited for a while for it to show up in my inbox then checked my "Junk" folder, it was there.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

blind_nom_ore

Post by blind_nom_ore » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:00 am

Yep, mine also went to spam. Maybe on the signup page you could add bolded, large text notifying users to check their spam?

CaptainSalty
Site Admin

Post by CaptainSalty » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:18 am

blind_nom_ore wrote:Yep, mine also went to spam. Maybe on the signup page you could add bolded, large text notifying users to check their spam?
Good suggestion. I added a spam folder suggestion on the registration page.

w2mz

Post by w2mz » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:29 am

Maybe the validation email should just be a message that says:

"You are good enough, you are smart enough, and doggone it, people like you!"
The church has engineered your eternal family into a commodity that can be purchased with an annual fee. The fact that full tithing payment is a requirement for saving ordinances is the biggest red flag imaginable. Hagoth

Zadok

Post by Zadok » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:22 am

Mine was also safely secure in the spam filter.
If I'm a bird, why can't I fly?

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:58 am

w2mz wrote:Maybe the validation email should just be a message that says:

"You are good enough, you are smart enough, and doggone it, people like you!"
With all due respect to Stuary Smalley, that might be too much of a shock directed towards someone coming from a devout LDS culture.

In all fairness, I have had a lot of really good bishops in my LDS life. Part of this has been a natural defense coming from my inborn arrogance and high functioning narcissism. But there is no doubt that guilt is a rhetorical tool that is far too easy to employ by religious leadership.

GoodBoy

Post by GoodBoy » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:11 pm

Zadok wrote:
Mine was also safely secure in the spam filter.
Mine too. It took me a while to find it.

So glad to see the Emu back!
Always been the good kid, but I wanted to know more, and to find and test truth.

LSOF

Post by LSOF » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:27 pm

I just looked in the spam filter and found the activation email.
"I appreciate your flesh needs to martyr me." Parture

"There is no contradiction between faith and science --- true science." Dr Zaius

Pastor, Lunar Society of Friends; CEO, Faithful Origins and Ontology League