You Are Not Unique

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
document

You Are Not Unique

Post by document » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:08 pm

I admit I have been out of the Mormon loop for a long time. The only updates I ever get is when something "big" happens inside of the church. So, pretty much the only thing I've heard in the last what feels like forever is my mom mentioning that Coke is apparently cool now. It seems like the only time I come here is to vent when I have a frustrating experience with a Mormon. But, since I have so little interactions with Mormons anymore that I don't think of it.

So, a few days ago I had to run to my son's school to drop off some medicine. I ran into an old acquaintance from high school and we started chatting. They mentioned their nephew is going to Puerto Rico with a bunch of missionaries to rebuild houses. I thought it was awesome that apparently missionaries in PR are going to be used as a massive service army. I mentioned that it is great and admirable.

Did I mention that I told them it was awesome that the missionaries were being used this way? I did. Multiple times. It is very admirable. Good for the LDS church. I wish they did that when I served a mission. :)

Now, they said in our conversation that the LDS church is "unique" because other churches aren't sending people down. I just said, "Well that's not true" and then explained that lots and lots of people are sending people to rebuild and sending millions and millions of dollars down to help. Our own parish has sent several thousand dollars so far and we are still raising money. We also have two young women who are going down as part of a large group of 20-somethings to help rebuild.

The response was:
Huh, I heard you went anti-Mormon. Guess they were right.
:roll:

No Tof

Re: You Are Not Unique

Post by No Tof » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:38 pm

I find it so sad that on one hand someone can be happy about the idea of Christian service and almost in the same moment be un-Christ like in their treatment of you.

If recognizing good in others is "anti" then I hope "they" call me on a mission.

Good job for keeping your cool Doc.
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there.
Rumi

Fifi de la Vergne

Post by Fifi de la Vergne » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:39 pm

I feel ya, document. No matter how many positive things you say, or how supportive you try to be, if you don't support and agree 100 percent, you're anti-Mormon. This is the same mindset that is driving their "religious freedom" rhetoric right now.

I was thinking of attending SM with my family tomorrow out of solidarity because of some stuff we've been going through. Then I remembered that tomorrow will probably be F&T because of GC next week. Then I read your post, and . . . I'm probably not going after all.
Joy is the emotional expression of the courageous Yes to one's own true being.

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:21 pm

Face palm.

Ugh!
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:24 pm

I feel for ya give it time !!!

Peace.

Emower

Post by Emower » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:03 am

Whoa. :?

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:42 am

Wow! That is sad!

This reminds me of the "Our Jesus is better than your Jesus." or "Our service is better than your service." that Mormons and other fundamentalists/zealous Christian groups might think about themselves or even openly profess.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Linked

Post by Linked » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:01 am

What a crock.

It's that attitude that shows church member's real feelings about truth. Truth = the church is true, and anything that appears to take away from the member's narrative of truthiness is antimormon, especially real truth.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

lostinmiddlemormonism

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:18 pm

Well I've maintained for a long time that:

"What is good about the church isn't unique, and what is unique about it isn't very good."

-Lost

dispirited

Post by dispirited » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:36 am

I saw on the news that all the missionaries in PR were flown out and re-assigned. So much for the rebuilding...