Need something mindless to do during conference...ideas?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
sparky

Post by sparky » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:46 pm

So if you haven't heard, conference is this weekend. I will be watching yet again with DW, but this time I want something productive or at least distractive to do while the drones drone. DW traditionally works on crocheting something, while I have been the one with nothing to do but try not to show my disgust with the whole thing. It's not fair since she's the one who wants to watch.

So this time I want to something to keep my mind off actually listening. I've thought about buying a simple model car or something to put together. Any of you NOMs have ideas? What do you do when you're forced to sit through eight hours of this rubbish?

Korihor

Re: Need something mindless to do during conference...ideas?

Post by Korihor » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:16 pm

If you can stay on your phone - twitter.

You can toggle between TBM and exmo tweets. Live action twitter can be fun.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

GoodBoy

Post by GoodBoy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:54 pm

Smart phones are God's gift to NOMs.

There is usually a real-time thread here so people can type their frustrations instead of yelling it at their TVs in front of their families.
Always been the good kid, but I wanted to know more, and to find and test truth.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:05 pm

For Saturday:

Mow your lawn and do yard work with headphones on. Let the wife/family think your listening to conf. Hide behind the bushes and quickly read through the NOM conference thread. Repeat the sound bites from the Uchtdorf talk to your family. Then follow up with your love for the guy.

For Sunday:

Fake food poisoning and sit in the bathroom for two hours watching netflix. Repeat for the afternoon session.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:06 pm

Learn to crochet with your wife. Or take up whittling. I like sudoku. Maybe you could make sketches of the speakers and improve your art skills. Make a latch hook rug. Make an outline for a novel. It will look like you are taking notes. Create a bucket list. Put a puzzle together. I guess I could go on. There are a bunch of little hobbies you could take up. They may not move your life forward very much, but they might help get you through those 10 hours.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:48 pm

You could cook a large meal for the family. Homemade bread. Potatoes and gravy. Roast beef or pork. Tiramisu. Maybe not. This will get you out of the t.v. room to check on the cookings frequently.
~2bizE

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:31 am

Fortunately I don't have to sit through the mind numbing rubbish anymore. But, if I did I would rely on the same methods I use to get through my weekend yard work: a good beer buzz and a little MJ herbal supplement. That would put me at risk for off the cuff remarks and an increase in bad dad humor, which is fine unless I was in mixed TBM company, then it would be better that I just lean on the mobile device.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Enoch Witty

Post by Enoch Witty » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:20 pm

Dude, mobile games. This isn't that hard. :lol:

Grace2Daisy

Post by Grace2Daisy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:32 pm

Play a game called Joseph and Emma!

You pick three women in the ward you believe the Lord would allow you to have as polygamist wives. Your DW also makes a list of women in the ward she would allow to be her polygamist sisters. Then compare the two lists. By the time the argument, err. . .ah. . . discussion is over. . . . . . so is that session on GC. Just in time to sing, Praise to the Man!
"What is truth?" retorted Pilate. John 18:38

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:18 pm

Grace2Daisy wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:32 pm

You pick three women in the ward you believe the Lord would allow you to have as polygamist wives. Your DW also makes a list of women in the ward she would allow to be her polygamist sisters. Then compare the two lists. By the time the argument, err. . .ah. . . discussion is over. . . . . . so is that session on GC. Just in time to sing, Praise to the Man!
Why stop at 3?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

oliblish

Post by oliblish » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:20 pm

Grace2Daisy wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:32 pm

To be more realistic you should choose a couple of dozen and not tell your wife.
Stands next to Kolob, called by the Egyptians Oliblish, which is the next grand governing creation near to the celestial or the place where God resides; holding the key of power also, pertaining to other planets; as revealed from God to Abraham

ulmite

Post by ulmite » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:37 pm

Origami tesselations?

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:56 pm

Mindless? Maybe pay attention to conference?
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

LSOF

Post by LSOF » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:26 am

If your cohabitants are in positions of authority over you (like mine are) then I do not recommend anything with a phone. A better tactic is to get a notebook for doodling or other purposes. In mine, I have written story ideas and electronic circuit designs, and the process of generating them looks to the casual observer like note-taking. I prefer my diversionary activities to be mindful rather than mindless, so I am more completely distracted from the unpleasant (usually Mormon) thing transpiring in front of me.
"I appreciate your flesh needs to martyr me." Parture

"There is no contradiction between faith and science --- true science." Dr Zaius

Pastor, Lunar Society of Friends; CEO, Faithful Origins and Ontology League