General NOMference!!

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
MoPag

General NOMference!!

Post by MoPag » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:01 am

Okay so last General NOMference we did awards. But I really didn't follow through with all of the awards.

This time I want to do something more interactive. So while some of us are stuck watching/listening to GC we can award points to speakers for good things we hear, or we can take away points for things we don't like. Then at the end we can tally a conference winner and loser.

For example Sister Eubanks talk from Women's Conference:

+2 for having a nice speaking voice
-5 for starting off your talk gushing about TSM
-10 for sharing a stupid quote from SWK which basically said if women don't join the church it's because the women in the church are crap.
+10 points for sharing a recent story about non members and showing them in a positive light. She told about beach-goers in Florida who made human chain to save people caught in a riptide.
I don't really remember anything else. Feel free to add your own + or - points to her talk. So right now she has a score of -3.

I was thinking about keeping the point ranges close to Hogwarts House points. Keep it in the 5s and 10s. Something really, really bad is 50. But really just call it. If you hear something that pisses you off call (or type) them on it and dock them some points. And if you hear something good give them a few points.

I might end up digging up some old awards from last General NOMference - like Suck UP 70 Award. :D

We will see how this goes. Eventually we will refine General NOMference so those of us NOMs stuck watching GC won't be quite so miserable.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Mormorrisey

Re: General NOMference!!

Post by Mormorrisey » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:33 am

Unfortunately this weekend I won't be in a place to comment a lot, but I will be reading NOM faithfully whilst listening to conference. I must admit, I'm MUCH more interested in conference as a critical thinker, than I ever was as a mere listening drone. So much to deconstruct.

But I sure appreciate MoPag's efforts in creating these conference threads, awards, and all around malfeasance! What would we do without you?
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

didyoumythme

Post by didyoumythme » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:52 pm

Other point ideas -

-10 for telling us what we felt and what it means (looking at you Eyring)
-10 for bad analogy
-5 for bad joke that everyone laughs at for some reason
+5 for keeping it short
+5 for wiggling ears
-10 for reference to 'stay in the boat'
-10 for fear mongering about the wicked wicked world
+10 for contradicting prior speaker
+5 for being female
-5 for lip smacking
-10 for spirit voice
+10 for idea that people have the right to worship God 'after the dictates of their own conscience'
-5 for list of bad ideas (Bednar)

+50 for sharing a unique idea!!
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being honest, or cease being mistaken. - Anonymous

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:21 pm

MoPag wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:01 am
Okay so last General NOMference we did awards. But I really didn't follow through with all of the awards.

This time I want to do something more interactive. So while some of us are stuck watching/listening to GC we can award points to speakers for good things we hear, or we can take away points for things we don't like. Then at the end we can tally a conference winner and loser.

-10 for sharing a stupid quote from SWK which basically said if women don't join the church it's because the women in the church are crap.
+10 points for sharing a recent story about non members and showing them in a positive light. She told about beach-goers in Florida who made human chain to save people caught in a riptide.
I don't really remember anything else. Feel free to add your own + or - points to her talk. So right now she has a score of -3.

I was thinking about keeping the point ranges close to Hogwarts House points. Keep it in the 5s and 10s. Something really, really bad is 50. But really just call it. If you hear something that pisses you off call (or type) them on it and dock them some points. And if you hear something good give them a few points.

I might end up digging up some old awards from last General NOMference - like Suck UP 70 Award. :D

We will see how this goes. Eventually we will refine General NOMference so those of us NOMs stuck watching GC won't be quite so miserable.
Idk, because I've seen some real crap behavior from women at church this week, and it makes me want to hightail out. So maybe he was right.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:54 am

Mormorrisey wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:33 am
Unfortunately this weekend I won't be in a place to comment a lot, but I will be reading NOM faithfully whilst listening to conference. I must admit, I'm MUCH more interested in conference as a critical thinker, than I ever was as a mere listening drone. So much to deconstruct.

But I sure appreciate MoPag's efforts in creating these conference threads, awards, and all around malfeasance! What would we do without you?
Aw, thanks. :D Just magnifying my NOM calling.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:51 am

Thoughtful wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:21 pm
MoPag wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:01 am

Idk, because I've seen some real crap behavior from women at church this week, and it makes me want to hightail out. So maybe he was right.
Yes. I have seen some major crap too. But they aren't all horrible. I think there are a lot of women in the church who are genuinely kind people. And those are the sisters I thought about when I heard this quote. They hear the SWK quote. They believe SWK was a prophet of God. Then they will hear the abysmal conversion stats and they will automatically think "oh I'm not good enough. If I were better then more people would join the church."
Also how dare church leaders place blame for their low baptismal rates on a ground of people who have absolutely now power within the church itself.
But on the other hand I get what you are saying. There are plenty of women in the church who are shallow and self-centered and don't create a positive environment. But I doubt they will internalize a quote like that.

Margarita

Post by Margarita » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:18 pm

Let us not forget to add "tears" to the list. I apologize if this has been mentioned before...but tears just don't get to me anymore..fake!

Silver Girl

Post by Silver Girl » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:54 pm

Here's a start:

-5 for a whiny Molly voice
-10 for a whiny, high-pitched Molly voice
-5 for a story about someone who left the church and returned because someone brought them cookies (or did service)
-10 for a story about someone who left the church and then repented and came back after loved ones prayed, fasted, etc.
-5 for some idiotic piece of wisdom a primary kid said
-10 if the person telling the story is the grandfather
-10 for any bragging about church growth that cannot be statistically documented (think Holland & the 12 new stakes a week - EVERY week!)
-5 for claiming reading the BoM is a cure for asking questions
-10 for any shaming of people who don't stay in the boat, who are "not reading their scriptures" or other control-freak requirements
+10 for anything positive said about other churches
Last edited by Silver Girl on Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silver Girl is sailing into the future. She is no longer scared.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:55 pm

Margarita wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:18 pm
Let us not forget to add "tears" to the list. I apologize if this has been mentioned before...but tears just don't get to me anymore..fake!
Yes! Tears is a good one!

I also think I'm going to keep a tally to see who is most popular this GC
popular.png
popular.png (162.42 KiB) Viewed 14969 times
Will the speakers show more love for Jesus or TSM? I think we all have a hunch which way this will go. But I think it would be interesting to keep an actual tally.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:11 pm

MoPag wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:55 pm
Will the speakers show more love for Jesus or TSM? I think we all have a hunch which way this will go. But I think it would be interesting to keep an actual tally.
That's actually a good question and it has an engineering solution which appeals to me. I'll take the text of all the talks and word search for Monson and Jesus and see who shows up more. Certainly I will remove direct references to the name of the church, but let's see how this turns out.

lostinmiddlemormonism

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:13 pm

I used to love doing the conference threads. They helped me to keep sane during difficult periods. Happily I can say that this year I will be watching/listening to very little of it. Instead I think I am going to go scuba diving.

-Losh

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:11 am

Silver Girl wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:54 pm
Here's a start:

-5 for a whiny Molly voice
-10 for a whiny, high-pitched Molly voice
-5 for a story about someone who left the church and returned because someone brought them cookies (or did service)
-10 for a story about someone who left the church and then repented and came back after loved ones prayed, fasted, etc.
-5 for some idiotic piece of wisdom a primary kid said
-10 if the person telling the story is the grandfather
-10 for any bragging about church growth that cannot be statistically documented (think Holland & the 12 new stakes a week - EVERY week!)
-5 for claiming reading the BoM is a cure for asking questions
-10 for any shaming of people who don't stay in the boat, who are "not reading their scriptures" or other control-freak requirements
+10 for anything positive said about other churches
These are great! "-5 for some idiotic piece of wisdom a primary kid said" This is my fav!! :lol:

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:12 am

Corsair wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:11 pm
MoPag wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:55 pm
That's actually a good question and it has an engineering solution which appeals to me. I'll take the text of all the talks and word search for Monson and Jesus and see who shows up more. Certainly I will remove direct references to the name of the church, but let's see how this turns out.
Awesome! Way to magnify your NOM calling Corsair!

crossmyheart

Post by crossmyheart » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:30 pm

I have a friend who would calculate Gen Con talks based on whether the talks are doctrinal- (focused on scripture) or instructional- (focused on obedience to the structure, etc)
the balance was usually 50/50ish until people like Neal Maxwell died and were replaced with the Bednars of the church.

She has stopped calculating and is no longer active. The obedience language was just too much.

So- finally getting to the topic:

+50 if the talk stays focused on expounding scripture

Quote for the day: "Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"

Jinx

Post by Jinx » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:54 pm

lostinmiddlemormonism wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:13 pm
I used to love doing the conference threads. They helped me to keep sane during difficult periods. Happily I can say that this year I will be watching/listening to very little of it. Instead I think I am going to go scuba diving.

-Losh
I'll be in Oregon visiting my son for parent weekend. No conference at all! :) :) :)

OTOH, my apostate daughter will have GC on in the background because "old men droning on about confusing things was an important part of my childhood". Not sure I quite understand her...
“This is the best part of the week!” – Homer Simpson
“It’s the longest possible time before more church!” – Lisa Simpson

Silver Girl

Post by Silver Girl » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:25 pm

crossmyheart wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:30 pm
I have a friend who would calculate Gen Con talks based on whether the talks are doctrinal- (focused on scripture) or instructional- (focused on obedience to the structure, etc)
the balance was usually 50/50ish until people like Neal Maxwell died and were replaced with the Bednars of the church.

She has stopped calculating and is no longer active. The obedience language was just too much.

So- finally getting to the topic:

+50 if the talk stays focused on expounding scripture

Quote for the day: "Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
How about points if the scriptures are the actual Bible rather than the stuff JS made up?
Silver Girl is sailing into the future. She is no longer scared.