Have you ever cause a FC for someone else?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:35 pm

So I have a coworker I really don't know directly from work, but we have socialized a fair amount outside of work, but inside work circles. Anyway, he recently told me he is a year into a FC and something I said caused it. I am not sure exactly whast it was, outside of the fact I shared Sapiens with him, he read it, and loved it (great book BTW).

Anyway, we are meeting at Starbucks during conference to discuss it all. I am anxious but i feel some guilt.

He is from another country and was a SP there I believe. We are in the MorCor here so it is different for him to be around so many Mormons and a new American culture.

This is going to be interesting. I hope he and/or his family don't hate me for being the bearer of bad news. Don't shoot the messenger right?! I am not even sure what exactly I said. Maybe I mentioned the Essays.

Anyway, I will R&R!

Hermey

Re: Have you ever cause a FC for someone else?

Post by Hermey » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:24 pm

Yes, I have. Don't feel any guilt. Guilt is a useless emotion. Everything is a learning experience.

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:02 am

I think I did for my sister. She had some concerns and I basically dumped gasoline on them and lit a match. It wasn't intentional. It was so nice to talk openly about the issues that I got carried away. She went to research what I told her and...FC. I don't feel bad. I feel validated in some ways.

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:52 am

Que es la FC? Googled FC + Mormon and got no hits.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

dispirited

Post by dispirited » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:54 am

Return and report!

SeeNoEvil

Post by SeeNoEvil » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:06 am

Yes I did cause a FC for someone. My 78 year old TBM cousin emailed me one day and asked me why I don't go to church. This lead to her reading the Essays, Mormonthink, the CES letter and anything else I could throw her way. I rocked her world of course and felt bad at first. I no longer feel that way and she is thankful she now knows the truth. She still attends to see her life long friends but with eyes wide open.

Good luck! Yes, return and report.
"Every event that has taken place in this universe has led you to this moment.
... The real question is, what will you do with this moment?" - Unknown

"Never arrive @ a point where you know everything - Korihor57

StarbucksMom

Post by StarbucksMom » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:13 am

moksha wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:52 am
I believe it's faith crisis.
Yes I have. For my 3 oldest kids. On purpose. Without my husband's permission. Younger 3 will be next. It'll be a freezing day in Hell before I miss my kids' weddings.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:21 am

I think I played a role in my two brother's investigations which led to faith reevaluation for both.

The irony is that they get Sundays off and I'm still stuck in church.
Last edited by FiveFingerMnemonic on Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

No Tof

Post by No Tof » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:24 am

I don't think I have instigated one, for sure not on purpose but am happy to discuss all topics in a safe environment.

On the flip side, I remember getting a letter from a girl I went to high school with who basically said she joined the church 20 years later because of my Christian example. I feel much worse about that then any influence I may have been in someone's FC.
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there.
Rumi

dispirited

Post by dispirited » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:33 am

StarbucksMom wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:13 am
moksha wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:52 am
I believe it's faith crisis.
Yes I have. For my 3 oldest kids. On purpose. Without my husband's permission. Younger 3 will be next. It'll be a freezing day in Hell before I miss my kids' weddings.
I renewed my temple recommend for my oldest's wedding that is coming up in a few months. But after thinking about it, I'm not sure I will for my younger kids. I mean what do they do in the temple anyway. Its a bad 10 minute ceremony in funny costumes. I have heard that the sealers aren't supposed to give the couple advice like they used to, but to just say the ordinance word for word. I think I'll just encourage to have a ring ceremony before the reception. That is so common these days anyway because of the more and more people who don't want to renew their recommends anymore.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:36 pm

MalcolmVillager wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:35 pm
Would it be that you "caused" a faith crisis, or exposed them to the truth?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:53 pm

I admit I would actually like to cause one for my dear wife. I suspect that she has had a small one, but she firmly came back to full belief. We maintain a theological armistice in our home and it keeps everything civil.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:40 pm

Corsair wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:53 pm
I admit I would actually like to cause one for my dear wife. I suspect that she has had a small one, but she firmly came back to full belief. We maintain a theological armistice in our home and it keeps everything civil.

I was the cause of my DW's FC. The second I disclosed to her I was having doubts it threw her into cogdis. My own FC was beginning to grow when my X influenced my kids to get out soon after our divorce. Then later it took off again when I learned three long-time friends were out. Then one of my younger brothers was starting his path down the rabbit hole of church historical facts. I started taking my friends to lunch and asking them questions about why they got out. After the fourth conversation I knew I was on the same path and would end up at the same destination.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Margarita

Post by Margarita » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:02 pm

Ultimately, the decision belongs to your friend. His own life experiences and probably many other things that you may not know..have brought him to this point. Listen to him..be his friend..he will need you now more than ever.

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:10 pm

Don't feel guilty. You didn't create any of this one way or the other.

Congratulations for helping someone become more self aware.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

Linked

Post by Linked » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:25 am

I look forward to your report! I wouldn't feel too bad about exposing him to new ideas. If his faith can't withstand a coworker's opinion then is it worth hanging onto?

One of the people I confided in about my FC seems to be working through one now. At the time a couple years ago he was not active, but I didn't know if he believed or not. Now I think he was probably somewhere between Jack and NOM. But he has been re-examining his beliefs and working through the idea that some of them don't make sense. I think my experiences have helped him down the road.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Unendowed

Post by Unendowed » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:03 am

My wife was starting a FC and came to me with questions hoping I could resolve her concerns. I was a year into waking up from my TBM sleep at that point. I unloaded all the issues on her and by the end of the day she was a non believer. One of the best things to ever happen to in our marriage. No regrets at all.

Sheamus Moore

Post by Sheamus Moore » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:53 am

We may directly or indirectly facilitate a FC in others, but the church is complicit... or maybe it's the other way around. My DS checked out (all on his own) a long time ago. MY DW is milling around the rabbit hole but is actually too busy with life to venture in. Someday, perhaps.

MerrieMiss

Post by MerrieMiss » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:05 am

I don't know how much any one person can cause a faith crisis. It seems to me most people have a lifetime of experiences and information that ultimately makes the crisis happen. One may help light the match, or produce some additional fuel, but it' really the person. What did it for me wouldn't have done a thing had it happened at another time and place. And as painful as it was, I don't look at my faith crisis as a bad thing - I see it as growing up.
StarbucksMom wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:13 am
I'd be interested to know more about this. How old were they? And why wait? Was it an actual faith crisis, or more just raising them not to believe in the church? I have young kids, so I'm genuinely interested.

alas

Post by alas » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:16 pm

Yes, I was asked by a friend about polygamy, and I answered that I thought it was not of God. My friend questioned how I reconciled JS as prophet. I answered honestly that I have a problem with JS. She asked about BoM, and I said I think it was as true as the Bible. I neglected to say I think the Bible is 3/4 myth/fiction. I was really trying to just end the conversation because I was a closet unbeliever, but I didn't want to out right lie.

Well, she got on the Internet to try to prove that JS was really a perfect prophet and that polygamy is also true. Her testimony failed faster than a person can catch Trump in a lie.

And she hated me for it. The friendship ended very badly.