Sunday morning NOMfrence

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Newme

Re: Sunday morning NOMfrence

Post by Newme » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:46 am

"Last days" is partly an excuse to let things go to hell because it's "the last days."
It's counter to what Jesus said in Luke 17.

And Heaven's Reward Fallacy is one on a list of cognitive distortions.
http://www.onlinepsychologydegree.net/2 ... -problems/

Silver Girl

Post by Silver Girl » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:48 am

I'm going to puke if I hear any more bragging about the yellow-shirted helping hands. ALL churches reach out during times of crisis. All of them. They also have ongoing programs to serve communities and other countries, and that happens all year long. No other churches brags about this stuff the way the LDS church does. They don't get it.

Eyring's story about people leaving one area of Florida to serve in another, while another group flooded their area to volunteer seems to indicate the entire volunteer thing was engineered from the top. It was timed (maximum exposure for big numbers at one time) and designed to look like people heading big distances to help others.

I recognize the volunteers felt good about being able to serve, but service in the church is done like it's a puppet show. The most popular things in RS (when I was a member) were the service opportunities. Yet they came so seldom. I've complained about this for nearly 20 years, and NOTHING has changed. Wards and stakes are not officially connected with non-profits or with ecumenical umbrella groups that work together to serve.

They Just. Don't. Get. It.
Silver Girl is sailing into the future. She is no longer scared.

Newme

Post by Newme » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:51 am

I agree, SilverGirl.
So little of the budget is allocated to help the poor.
And as Oaks admitted, not a penny of Tithes go to the poor - which contradicts the law of tithing in their own scriptures (should be at least 1/3 ... Deut. 14).

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:06 am

Silver Girl wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:48 am

I'm going to puke if I hear any more bragging about the yellow-shirted helping hands. ALL churches reach out during times of crisis. All of them. They also have ongoing programs to serve communities and other countries, and that happens all year long. No other churches brags about this stuff the way the LDS church does. They don't get it.

Eyring's story about people leaving one area of Florida to serve in another, while another group flooded their area to volunteer seems to indicate the entire volunteer thing was engineered from the top. It was timed (maximum exposure for big numbers at one time) and designed to look like people heading big distances to help others.

I recognize the volunteers felt good about being able to serve, but service in the church is done like it's a puppet show. The most popular things in RS (when I was a member) were the service opportunities. Yet they came so seldom. I've complained about this for nearly 20 years, and NOTHING has changed. Wards and stakes are not officially connected with non-profits or with ecumenical umbrella groups that work together to serve.

They Just. Don't. Get. It.
Eyring was pretty obnoxious about it. And it's pretty annoying that he calls the willingness of those helpers "a miracle." It's like: no that's what kind people just do. He gets -10 from me.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:10 am

Sunday morning scores:

Bingham. +5

Hallstrom. -15

Bednar. 0

Wodel. +5

Zwick. +25

Eyring. -10
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:15 am

Didn't watch any of it, but bednar flatlined at 0? That's surprising.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:10 pm

Korihor wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:15 am
Didn't watch any of it, but bednar flatlined at 0? That's surprising.
Dave did not say anything outrageous. I suppose there are TBMs somewhere that did take inspiration from his testimony of ordinances and Sabbath observance. It was nothing profound to me because it presupposed that the LDS church is the One True Church and, obviously, did not acknowledge that there are some good Catholics out there gaining spiritual strength from attending mass this morning.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:20 pm

How did the “voting” of officers go? Any info on church membership totals?
~2bizE

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:32 pm

Voting was Saturday. No audible opposed (that I heard over my feed). They don't do statistics in October, only April.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:21 pm

MoPag wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:10 am
Eyring. -10
I'd put Eyring back up to a -5...or should it be down to a -50 for promoting the thug life?
https://www.instagram.com/p/BZt56iPgCPZ ... ackmormons
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE