Birthdays, winners, and a thermometer?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Red Ryder

Birthdays, winners, and a thermometer?

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:49 am

This month we will celebrate NOM 2.0's one year birthday! Has it really been a year? First, let's first celebrate you, the fabulous participants who come here to provide support, wisdom, and jello recipes for those going through a faith transition, evaluation, crisis or (pick your own metaphor). It's not easy to find peace, solace, or balance in this journey but having a place like NOM to lean on for support is wonderful because of each and every one of you that share your heart, soul, and love. We've seen people come and go, some new, some old, some Russian spammers. We've seen heartbreak and tragedy. Second, let's thank the moderators who keep us in check and give them a well deserved thanks. Third, let's give the church thanks for providing us with endless grief and content to feed our souls with Mormonism; a gift that keeps on taking. And finally, a special thanks to the two guys that made this place possible last year. Please don't forget to pay the hosting fees and domain name registration. If you need a credit card, please call Korihor. :D

and the winner is....

Moksha! Congrats on submitting the 25,000th post this morning! You win an all inclusive trip to GC2018 in SLC. You'll be staying with Elder Nelson and his lovely wife Wendy. Your trip comes with an all you can eat fish stick luncheon at the future Prophets home between Sunday sessions barring any last minute hospital visits by Elder Nelson.

As appropriate to do on birthdays or anniversaries (besides the obligatory sex), feel free to take the temperature of NOM and provide feedback. Are there things we can do better? Is the tone of the board too harsh? Too soft? Just right? Are there features you would like to see implemented like tap a talk?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

crossmyheart

Re: Birthdays, winners, and a thermometer?

Post by crossmyheart » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:33 am

Love it here. I tend to lurk more than post. But I need this place to vent and know that I am not alone.

The tone here has become more ex-mo than NOM. But I have probably added to that so it's nothing I want to change.

Thank you mods for keeping us in line and Thank you NOM for being here for us all!

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:36 am

Big hugs and thanks to our NOM creators and moderators! You guys are awesome! And to all my NOM brothers and sisters: I love you all. I love hearing your stories and your perspectives. I love hearing about your new found beliefs. I feel for you in your struggles and hard times too.

Thank you all for your sweet messages and words of comfort when I lost my little boy. Your words mean so much to me.

We all remember what it was like to be TBM and to be giving our lives to a church that we believed was the one true church. And then when that falls away you are left devastated, isolated and trying desperately to pick up the pieces. NOM has helped my pick up the pieces of my own faith crisis and given me the courage to live my life as NOM.

Thank you!!!
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Linked

Post by Linked » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:57 am

Happy Birthday!!!

A big thank you to those who set this up and keep it running even as we are persecuted by Russian spammers, likely sent by the SCMC. Another big thank you to everyone on here. You guys keep me sane and help me be a better husband, father, and human.

I agree with crossmyheart about the tone being ex-mo. I have definitely added to that tone and appreciate that I have a place to express myself. But it is also sad in a way, like the landing spot for recently disaffected has become a little harder. It may be that the nature of disaffection has changed though.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:01 pm

This is an excerpt from NOM history with no apologies whatsoever for advertising my ego, corrupting the First Vision, or for lack of brevity:

Owing to the many reports which have been put in circulation by evil-disposed and designing persons, in relation to the rise and progress of New Order Mormon, all of which have been designed by the authors thereof to militate against its character as a website and its progress in the world—I have been induced to write this history, to disabuse the public mind, and put all inquirers after truth in possession of the facts, as they have transpired, in relation both to myself and the website, so far as I have such facts in my possession.

Some time in the second month after NOM 1.0 disappeared, there was in the place where Corsair lived an unusual excitement on the subject of website hosting. It commenced with a test install of PHPbb on a Ubuntu Linux 16.04 LTS test server, but soon became operational among all the applications in that region of his home network. Indeed, the whole network seemed affected by it, and great multitudes of TCP/IP packets united themselves to the different website transactions, which created no small stir and division amongst the packets, some crying, “Lo, here!” and others, “Lo, there!” Some were contending for the CentOS Linux distribution, some for the Debian, and some for the Red Hat.

During this time of great excitement Hagoth's mind was called up to serious reflection and great uneasiness; but though his feelings were deep and often poignant, still he kept himself aloof from all these parties, though he contacted Corsair and Red Ryder about domain names as often as occasion would permit. In process of time his mind became somewhat partial to "NewOrderMormon.net", and Hagoth felt some desire to be reserve that name; but so great were the confusion and strife among the different domain name registrars, that it was impossible for a person young(?) as Hagoth was, and so unacquainted with domain names and hosting, to come to any certain conclusion which was right and which was wrong.

While Hagoth was laboring under the extreme difficulties caused by the contests of these registrars of domain names, he was one day reading the marketing of GoDaddy, which reads: If any of you lack domain names, let him ask of GoDaddy, that giveth to all customers liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

At length Hagoth came to the conclusion that he must either remain in darkness and confusion, or else he must do as GoDaddy directs, that is, reserve a domain name. He at length came to the determination to “ask of GoDaddy,” concluding that if he gave that domain name to Corsair that Corsair might get off his lazy tail and do something, and would give liberally, and not upbraid, he might venture.

So, in accordance with this, Hagoth's determination to convince Corsair, Hagoth purchased the domain name "newordermormon.net". It was on the morning of a beautiful, clear day, late in autumn of two thousand and sixteen. It was the first time in Hagoth's life that he had made such an attempt, for amidst all his anxieties Hagoth had never as yet made the attempt to purchase a domain name.

After Hagoth had retired to the place where he had previously designed to purchase a domain name, and finding himself alone, He pulled out a credit card and began to offer up a purchase request to GoDaddy. He had scarcely done so, when immediately he was seized upon the idea to contact Corsair and give him access to the DNS records of "newordermormon.net". It had such an astonishing influence over Corsair as to bind his time so that he could not play video games. Thick hosting issues gathered around Corsair, and it seemed to him for a time as if he were doomed to sudden destruction.

But, exerting all Corsair's powers to call upon BlueHost to deliver him out of the power of this enemy which had seized upon him, and at the very moment when Corsair was ready to sink into despair and abandon himself to laziness, Corsair saw a pillar of light exactly over his keyboard, above the brightness of his SSH session, which descended gradually until the installation of PHPbb completed within a BlueHost virtual private server.

When the installation finished Corsair saw a login, whose reassurance defied all description, displayed in front of him on the screen. It spake unto him, calling him by "user" and said, This is Your Login, Provide A Name!

Corsair's object in going to inquire of the website was to know which of all the usernames was right, that he might know which to select for basic website administration. No sooner, therefore, did he get possession of himself, so as to be able to type, than he told the website that CaptainSalty was right (for separating logins is a good principle for website administration). And lo, on Friday Oct 14, 2016 9:13 am, Corsair logged in as CaptainSalty and made a test post.

Some few minutes after Corsair had this vision, he happened to contact with Hagoth, Red Ryder, and Korihor, who was very active in the before mentioned NOM 1.0 excitement; and, conversing with them on the subject of logins, he took occasion to give them an account of the webiste creation which Corsair had had. Red Ryder was greatly surprised at his behavior; he treated Corsair's communication not only seriously, but with great fanfare, saying it was a good idea and he would tell all of Reddit and anyone else online, that there were now such things as postings and threads in these days; that all such things had been restored with the administrators, and that there would be many more of them.

crossmyheart

Post by crossmyheart » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:10 pm

Corsair wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:01 pm
This is an excerpt from NOM history with no apologies whatsoever for advertising my ego, corrupting the First Vision, or for lack of brevity:

Owing to the many reports which have been put in circulation by evil-disposed and designing persons, in relation to the rise and progress of New Order Mormon, all of which have been designed by the authors thereof to militate against its character as a website and its progress in the world—I have been induced to write this history, to disabuse the public mind, and put all inquirers after truth in possession of the facts, as they have transpired, in relation both to myself and the website, so far as I have such facts in my possession.

Some time in the second month after NOM 1.0 disappeared, there was in the place where Corsair lived an unusual excitement on the subject of website hosting. It commenced with a test install of PHPbb on a Ubuntu Linux 16.04 LTS test server, but soon became operational among all the applications in that region of his home network. Indeed, the whole network seemed affected by it, and great multitudes of TCP/IP packets united themselves to the different website transactions, which created no small stir and division amongst the packets, some crying, “Lo, here!” and others, “Lo, there!” Some were contending for the CentOS Linux distribution, some for the Debian, and some for the Red Hat.

During this time of great excitement Hagoth's mind was called up to serious reflection and great uneasiness; but though his feelings were deep and often poignant, still he kept himself aloof from all these parties, though he contacted Corsair and Red Ryder about domain names as often as occasion would permit. In process of time his mind became somewhat partial to "NewOrderMormon.net", and Hagoth felt some desire to be reserve that name; but so great were the confusion and strife among the different domain name registrars, that it was impossible for a person young(?) as Hagoth was, and so unacquainted with domain names and hosting, to come to any certain conclusion which was right and which was wrong.

While Hagoth was laboring under the extreme difficulties caused by the contests of these registrars of domain names, he was one day reading the marketing of GoDaddy, which reads: If any of you lack domain names, let him ask of GoDaddy, that giveth to all customers liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

At length Hagoth came to the conclusion that he must either remain in darkness and confusion, or else he must do as GoDaddy directs, that is, reserve a domain name. He at length came to the determination to “ask of GoDaddy,” concluding that if he gave that domain name to Corsair that Corsair might get off his lazy tail and do something, and would give liberally, and not upbraid, he might venture.

So, in accordance with this, Hagoth's determination to convince Corsair, Hagoth purchased the domain name "newordermormon.net". It was on the morning of a beautiful, clear day, late in autumn of two thousand and sixteen. It was the first time in Hagoth's life that he had made such an attempt, for amidst all his anxieties Hagoth had never as yet made the attempt to purchase a domain name.

After Hagoth had retired to the place where he had previously designed to purchase a domain name, and finding himself alone, He pulled out a credit card and began to offer up a purchase request to GoDaddy. He had scarcely done so, when immediately he was seized upon the idea to contact Corsair and give him access to the DNS records of "newordermormon.net". It had such an astonishing influence over Corsair as to bind his time so that he could not play video games. Thick hosting issues gathered around Corsair, and it seemed to him for a time as if he were doomed to sudden destruction.

But, exerting all Corsair's powers to call upon BlueHost to deliver him out of the power of this enemy which had seized upon him, and at the very moment when Corsair was ready to sink into despair and abandon himself to laziness, Corsair saw a pillar of light exactly over his keyboard, above the brightness of his SSH session, which descended gradually until the installation of PHPbb completed within a BlueHost virtual private server.

When the installation finished Corsair saw a login, whose reassurance defied all description, displayed in front of him on the screen. It spake unto him, calling him by "user" and said, This is Your Login, Provide A Name!

Corsair's object in going to inquire of the website was to know which of all the usernames was right, that he might know which to select for basic website administration. No sooner, therefore, did he get possession of himself, so as to be able to type, than he told the website that CaptainSalty was right (for separating logins is a good principle for website administration). And lo, on Friday Oct 14, 2016 9:13 am, Corsair logged in as CaptainSalty and made a test post.

Some few minutes after Corsair had this vision, he happened to contact with Hagoth, Red Ryder, and Korihor, who was very active in the before mentioned NOM 1.0 excitement; and, conversing with them on the subject of logins, he took occasion to give them an account of the webiste creation which Corsair had had. Red Ryder was greatly surprised at his behavior; he treated Corsair's communication not only seriously, but with great fanfare, saying it was a good idea and he would tell all of Reddit and anyone else online, that there were now such things as postings and threads in these days; that all such things had been restored with the administrators, and that there would be many more of them.
EPIC!

Stig

Post by Stig » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:21 pm

Corsair wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:01 pm

Corsair wins the Internet!
“Some say he’s wanted by the CIA and that he sleeps upside down like a Bat. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that he lives in a tree, and that his sweat can be used to clean precious metals. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Nonny

Post by Nonny » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:52 pm

Pure gold, Corsair.

No Tof

Post by No Tof » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:19 pm

Blessed are Hagoth, RR, and even Korihor for being with the Captain in person. But also blessed are those of us who were not there but still post.

Happy Birthday and thanks.
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there.
Rumi

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:32 pm

I hereby vote by common consent to cannonize (sticky) this history that all future generations may benefit therefrom.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:38 am

Happy Birthday NOM.
Thank you all for giving me a place to rant and enjoy a real discussion among friends. Not the fake religious discussion at church.

I like that this board isn't too harsh. I feel like we are the older, wiser crowd with more tact than some of the other groups. Let's keep it that way.
~2bizE

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:40 am

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:32 pm
I hereby vote by common consent to cannonize (sticky) this history that all future generations may benefit therefrom.
Amen! That was the most amazing thing ever!!!!
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Wonderment

Post by Wonderment » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:04 pm

Happy Birthday, NOM. :) I remember how said I was when the old board no longer existed, and it took me a long time to find this one. Someone on Reddit mentioned it, and I was so happy to see all my friends again. "Live long and prosper", fellow NOM-ies. :) (((Hugs))) from Wndr.

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:41 am

Kudos to the board in its infancy and a toast to its growing old and perhaps even making a will when it comes time to pass the torch - so that NOM 3.0 need not struggle to be born.

It's hard to envision the form social media will take in the next 25 years, but if message boards are still around I hope this will be among them. In October 1992 the internet had yet to really take off, but by October 2017 NOM 2.0 got to celebrate a birthday. That's progress for you.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha