Typical Church Building Layout and Sexism

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
LostGirl

Re: Typical Church Building Layout and Sexism

Post by LostGirl » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:17 pm

We don't have a RS room. Not enough rooms to go around I guess. In our neck of the woods we have to literally be bulging at the seams for years before they will build another chapel.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:11 pm

Give It Time wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:18 pm
I think that the fact that RSP doesn't have an office is interesting. That speaks volumes.
The High Priest's group leader doesn't have an office either. Or the Elder's Quorum President. Or the Young Men's president. Or the Young Women's president. or the Primary President. Or...
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Jeffret

Post by Jeffret » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:27 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:11 pm
The High Priest's group leader doesn't have an office either. Or the Elder's Quorum President. Or the Young Men's president. Or the Young Women's president. or the Primary President. Or...
Indeed, but the bishop does. And the stake president, at the stake center, has a luxurious one. And the ward clerks, all men, have an office.

So, yes, the RSP's status is not significant. A lot of responsibility. A lot of work expected of the RSP. But, little recognition or resources to perform the job.

As you note, the highest women's position ranks with all the other subsidiary positions. EQP is responsible for a portion of the adult men. And moving. And maybe chairs. The HPGP is responsible for a smaller portion of the adult men, who aren't already in significant leadership positions. The others are responsible for some portion of kids and youth.

All of the positions with real public representation, with space set aside for them to fulfill leadership positions, are wholly staffed by men. Leadership, particularly its perks and recognition, are heavily weighted to men. Particularly to those that matter most.
"Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
And the truth isn't what you want to see" (Charles Hart, "The Music of the Night")

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:05 pm

Jeffret wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:27 pm
wtfluff wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:11 pm
Indeed, but the bishop does. And the stake president, at the stake center, has a luxurious one. And the ward clerks, all men, have an office.

So, yes, the RSP's status is not significant. A lot of responsibility. A lot of work expected of the RSP. But, little recognition or resources to perform the job.

As you note, the highest women's position ranks with all the other subsidiary positions. EQP is responsible for a portion of the adult men. And moving. And maybe chairs. The HPGP is responsible for a smaller portion of the adult men, who aren't already in significant leadership positions. The others are responsible for some portion of kids and youth.

All of the positions with real public representation, with space set aside for them to fulfill leadership positions, are wholly staffed by men. Leadership, particularly its perks and recognition, are heavily weighted to men. Particularly to those that matter most.
I was going to list all the female-led auxiliaries and point out they don't have offices, but realized the EQ, HP, YM presidencies don't either. I decided to keep it to the RSP alone for this reason. The bishop is called the father of the ward and the Relief Society President is called the mother of the ward. Supposedly equal and counterparts for one another. He has private conversations with members and needs to be able to ensure privacy. Well, so does she. In fact, her office should have a play area and toddler bathroom attached. She frequently has difficulty finding a place to hold her meetings. She is almost as busy as the bishop.

I still think it speaks volumes.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:24 am

All of the chapels where I've attended (or near me, since I quit attending) in the last ~20 years, right in the heart of the mormon corridor, literally within sight of temple square have NOT had the kitchen next to the Relief Society room.

The kitchens in the Mc-Chapels where I live are next to a "multi purpose" room that is several classrooms that can be converted to a single room by pushing aside the sliding accordion walls.
[/quote]
This is also my experience. I haven’t attended any of the new chapels in some time, but the older ones I go to has a multipurpose room next to the kitchen and not the RS room.
~2bizE