Midnight

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
LadyLillith

Midnight

Post by LadyLillith » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:45 pm

Losing the garmies in Tyler Glenn's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YndjHzC ... e=youtu.be

sirensong

Re: Midnight

Post by sirensong » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:54 am

i'm at a loss for words, which hardly ever happens...

powerful. emotional. brilliant. brave... tyler glenn is amazing for being able to harness all those feelings and thoughts and put them into such a poetic masterpiece...

i can't love this enough...
and in the end... the love you take is equal to the love you make...
~lennon/mccartney

Fifi de la Vergne

Post by Fifi de la Vergne » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:01 am

I was surprised at how much this affected me. ..so raw and powerful...It took the air out of me.
Joy is the emotional expression of the courageous Yes to one's own true being.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:58 am

Wow that was a trigger... So $&@?! stupid to think I wore those mesh man panty suits for so many years! God, this infuriates me so much. What a traumatic response I'm feeling now. Like I was kidnapped and held in bondage for years under the guise of something beautiful when in reality I was wearing a control mechanism designed and intended to set the polygamists apart from the non polygamists. What a mind fart watching him standing in only his mesh bottoms! I had visuals of every guy I've seen at the MTC running around in mesh with their butt cracks and bulges showing. The smell of dirty ass, sweat, and polyester chaffed skin wafting in the air. The feelings of embarrassment rushing through into the real world when other dudes at the gymn stop and stare with that look of mixed curiosity, wonderment, and disgust!

For the record, I never did tuck the tops into the bottoms! {{{{Shutter}}}}

Someone needs to do a Weird Al parody of this.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:51 am

Wow that was raw and beautiful and heartbreaking.

Red Ryder wrote:Wow that was a trigger... So $&@?! stupid to think I wore those mesh man panty suits for so many years! God, this infuriates me so much. What a traumatic response I'm feeling now.

((Hugs)) RR! I think today is just going to be one of those days. But how could it not be, it's the anniversary of the hate policy. I've already seen some hurtful things on FB. I'm just glad I have my MON family to turn to. And I'm very grateful for artists like Tyler who are able to give a voice to all that pain and heartache.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

oliver_denom

Post by oliver_denom » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:33 am

He really demonstrates the difference between introverted and extroverted disaffection. Introverts internalize their angst and sort of slow burn through the process, surprising people if they do come out, because the whole thing happens in between their ears. Anonymous internet forms are popular with that kind of individual.

Extroverts work everything out externally, sometimes in very sudden and explosive ways. They take everything the introvert mulls over in the way of thoughts and feelings, and throws it open into the world.

How many of us have secretly gone through the same process of removing the garment, feeling the sting of guilt and shame, wondering if God even cares, all in secret. Glenn did this in a music video posted all over YouTube.
“You want to know something? We are still in the Dark Ages. The Dark Ages--they haven't ended yet.” - Vonnegut

L'enfer, c'est les autres - JP

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:54 am

Excellent observation Oliver!

The Beast

Post by The Beast » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:55 pm

sirensong wrote:i'm at a loss for words, which hardly ever happens...

powerful. emotional. brilliant. brave... tyler glenn is amazing for being able to harness all those feelings and thoughts and put them into such a poetic masterpiece...

i can't love this enough...
Yes. This. Really hit me.
Last edited by The Beast on Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Are you on the square? Are you on the level?

azflyer

Post by azflyer » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:08 pm

Red Ryder wrote:For the record, I never did tuck the tops into the bottoms!
Now that's just weird... ;)

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:17 pm

Good thing for Tyler there wasn't a fire on the set. He wouldn't have had any protection.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

trophywife26.2

Post by trophywife26.2 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:58 pm

Hagoth wrote:Good thing for Tyler there wasn't a fire on the set. He wouldn't have had any protection.
Also be grateful there were no chain saws!! I've been told wearing garments while doing yard work could protect me from a chain saw accident like my visiting teacher's "uncle"

I'm obsessed with this song. I want to buy his album in CD form rather than itunes but I only see it on amazon and it's out of stock. Does anyone know if you can get it anywhere else?
Even if it's something disappointing, it's still better to know the truth. Because people can deal with disappointment. And once they've done that, they can feel that they have really grown. And that can be such a good feeling. -Fred Rogers

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:01 pm

trophywife26.2 wrote:
Hagoth wrote:Good thing for Tyler there wasn't a fire on the set. He wouldn't have had any protection.
Also be grateful there were no chain saws!! I've been told wearing garments while doing yard work could protect me from a chain saw accident like my visiting teacher's "uncle"
Ah... The old "Chainsaw-Garment Urban Legend"

I has a neighbor growing up who told of a chainsaw saving garment story. Wonder if he's your VT's Uncle? :D
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:08 pm

I haven't watched this video because I know it will be a trigger for me. I'm that uncomfortable with public displays of aggression against something that I know many people near to me hold sacred. I'm also uncomfortable when people dress up like pregnant nuns for Halloween, etc. It just touches on something that I think is disrespectful.

I think Oliver's point about introverts is fascinating. I like reading how different people process leaving the church, and I'm happy to talk to people about my journey, but I'm not going to shove it openly in anyone's face. I also didn't have any angst when I took off the garments. I hated them. Always did. I watched that horrible FB video the church released laying bare the bad secret that I'd kept for 15 year and said (non-NOM approved word) this. I was done. Didn't wear them again. I figured the church totally broke the "sacred" bargain with them. My husband took longer to get rid of them because "they're just underwear," but they were never just underwear to me. People are fascinating in how they view things so differently.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:54 pm

Go ahead glass shelf. Type it out. :lol:

fuck you!

Son of a bitch!

Shit.

Word censoring is in play.

RR to make a note to find a new costume for next year. Pregnant nun is a no go.

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:55 pm

I already discovered that when I tried to use Biddy as a verb. It didn't even occur to me that would be censored. #sorrynotsorry

eta: RR, dress up like a pregnant nun if you want. I won't censor other people's costumes. I just wouldn't do it myself. Plus, it'd probably really stick out in my neighborhood where no one over 14 dresses up, and the vast majority of costumes are latest disney princess, ninja, or animal of some kind. ;)