Undisclosed Compensation

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Linked

Undisclosed Compensation

Post by Linked » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:22 am

The Washington Post wrote an article on 10/11/2017 detailing the undisclosed compensation former judge Roy Moore received from a christian charity he started. $180,000/year but he claimed
he did not take a “regular salary” from the small charity he founded to promote Christian values because he did not want to be a financial burden
Sound familiar?

I want to see a similar story out there about compensation for General Authorities.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Random

Re: Undisclosed Compensation

Post by Random » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:14 am

Me, too. Not only all the money they get, but all the perks, so that we have a good idea of what their nonpay really is.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Newme

Post by Newme » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:56 pm

Would be nice but I doubt they’ll ever be financially honest.

If I had one wish as far as church finances - they would obey their own law of tithing & show that they are properly sharing at least 1/3 of tithes with those in need. And they’d invest more research in how best to help extreme poverty in areas in most need.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:42 pm

An interesting article in the Salt lake Tribune on this topic....

http://www.sltrib.com/religion/local/20 ... ots-of-it/
~2bizE

Linked

Post by Linked » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:49 am

2bizE wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:42 pm

Thanks for the link, that was an interesting read. I got sick of the praise for the leaders not getting wealthy off their position, but whatever.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Enoch Witty

Post by Enoch Witty » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:32 am

2bizE wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:42 pm

This is such a POS article. It has me mildly enraged, but only because I'm in the mood for a good enragening. :twisted:

This claim they're not getting rich off their positions is decidedly ridiculous. Never mind the fact that $120k is clearly their "base" pay and there are perks galore (Audis, full-ride college tuition for all children, the opportunity to fill high-paying positions with family members and friends in perpetuity, etc.) that equal easily more than this $120k.

But let's say $120k was all they got. That would still place them in the top 6% of earners in the United States. That's pretty freaking rich. Boyd Packer lived on a $2.5 million estate when he died despite being a lifelong church employee. Is a $2.5 million middle class all of a sudden? I am way further behind than I thought.

And pointing out that CEOs of other non-profits make ten times as much as these guys is a barely a favor in TSCC's credit for two reasons:
1) There are at least 85 different people making that $120k figure, making TSCC's compensation of its "collective CEOs" about 10 times more than that of a single-CEO-run corporation.
2) The article acknowledges that bureaucratic positions can earn much more than the Q15/FQ70 base pay, and many of those positions were nepotistically filled with family and friends of the Q15/FQ70 types, so there's way more money going into these families than is suggested here.

And to suggest that subsidizing missions, which are transparently about bring more members/money to the church, and building temples (buildings that serve literally no purpose and aren't even accessible by the vast majority of people) is putting the money to good/religious use is absurd.

They tried to balance it a bit at the end, I guess, but holy crap, anybody who claims the SLTrib is anti-Mormon should be shown this glowing article. Except not, because the apologetics here annoy me and I'd prefer people not adopt them. The obfuscating and misinformation is clear with only minimal research.

Linked

Post by Linked » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:33 pm

Enoch Witty wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:32 am
... building temples (buildings that serve literally no purpose and aren't even accessible by the vast majority of people) is putting the money to good/religious use is absurd.
Good use of literally.

Deepthinker

Post by Deepthinker » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:06 pm

Linked wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:22 am
The Washington Post wrote an article on 10/11/2017 detailing the undisclosed compensation former judge Roy Moore received from a christian charity he started. $180,000/year but he claimed
he did not take a “regular salary” from the small charity he founded to promote Christian values because he did not want to be a financial burden
Sound familiar?

I want to see a similar story out there about compensation for General Authorities.
Does sound familiar, trying to get away from calling it a "salary". A stipend?

oliblish

Post by oliblish » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:13 pm

Removed...
Last edited by oliblish on Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stands next to Kolob, called by the Egyptians Oliblish, which is the next grand governing creation near to the celestial or the place where God resides; holding the key of power also, pertaining to other planets; as revealed from God to Abraham

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:31 am

The fact that these senior leaders make $120k does not bother me. They have given up their lives, their anonymity, their careers, relaxation in their first all years of life, all for a fraud. Technically, the President of the corporation Sole owns it all. All the billions. But what grinds me is
1) they don't make it public knowledge. Don't acknowledge it.
2) the people who do the real work are the bishops, RSP, SP. They should get compensated.
3) I hate when people always say the church does not have a played clergy. That's horse crap and should be explained at GC so they stop saying that.

Now, these guys make a lot more than $120k. They have amazing benefits. They are mostly all on Medicare, so they surely have supplements for that. I'm sure their meals are paid for. They probably have a brunch supplied. They operate like consultants, so when they travel, there is always someone there to keep their receipts, hotel bills, resort bills, all of which is paid for by the church. Essentially, they don't use much of their $120K. Plus, they all have book deals, they make additional money from. They do live simple lives though. I don't see them hooking up the new giant boat to go to lake Powell for the weekend. They just borrow somebody's yacht somewhere because of their influence over so many people.
~2bizE

Linked

Post by Linked » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:37 am

2bizE wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:31 am
The fact that these senior leaders make $120k does not bother me. They have given up their lives, their anonymity, their careers, relaxation in their first all years of life, all for a fraud. Technically, the President of the corporation Sole owns it all. All the billions. But what grinds me is
2) the people who do the real work are the bishops, RSP, SP. They should get compensated.
3) I hate when people always say the church does not have a played clergy. That's horse crap and should be explained at GC so they stop saying that.

Now, these guys make a lot more than $120k. They have amazing benefits. They are mostly all on Medicare, so they surely have supplements for that. I'm sure their meals are paid for. They probably have a brunch supplied. They operate like consultants, so when they travel, there is always someone there to keep their receipts, hotel bills, resort bills, all of which is paid for by the church. Essentially, they don't use much of their $120K. Plus, they all have book deals, they make additional money from. They do live simple lives though. I don't see them hooking up the new giant boat to go to lake Powell for the weekend. They just borrow somebody's yacht somewhere because of their influence over so many people.
For me the logic is just a little different, something like:
Linked wrote:What grinds me is

Also, these guys make a lot more than $120k. They have amazing benefits. They are mostly all on Medicare, so they surely have supplements for that. I'm sure their meals are paid for. They probably have a brunch supplied. They operate like consultants, so when they travel, there is always someone there to keep their receipts, hotel bills, resort bills, all of which is paid for by the church. Essentially, they don't use much of their $120K. Plus, they all have book deals, they make additional money from. They do live simple lives though. I don't see them hooking up the new giant boat to go to lake Powell for the weekend. They just borrow somebody's yacht somewhere because of their influence over so many people.

That is why these senior leaders making $120k bothers me. Although they have given up their lives, their anonymity, their careers, relaxation in their final years of life, all for a fraud. Technically, the President of the corporation Sole owns it all. All the billions. But it is distributed to the leaders in the dark, unfairly, and under false pretenses. The careful not-hiding of their stipends helps to get TBMs to contribute to the billions. I want to call it fraud, though it probably doesn't meet the definition.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:48 pm

Deepthinker wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:06 pm
Linked wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:22 am
Sound familiar?

Does sound familiar, trying to get away from calling it a "salary". A stipend?
Seems that there's a recent court case about religious stipends being deductible, as it provides a tax benefit available to religious but not others.

Random

Post by Random » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:44 am

Linked wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:33 pm
Enoch Witty wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:32 am
... building temples (buildings that serve literally no purpose and aren't even accessible by the vast majority of people) is putting the money to good/religious use is absurd.
Good use of literally.
Rare to come across that today, isn't it?
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK