A sabbatical

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Raylan Givens

A sabbatical

Post by Raylan Givens » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:24 pm

So DW and I are taking a break. The primary program is over. We are going to look into other churches.

My inclination is to just do it and not worry about what others think. We invite a lot of ward friends over on a regular basis so we will see them. We have also had a busy summer with lots of missed Sundays, it will seem normal at first.

My DW would like to meet with the BP to let him know. He knows where I am at, but this is another step. DW had always been the more straight forward one. Our appointment is this Wednesday (followed by me conducting a board of review after).

DW would like to make it clear we are okay, and don't need lots of "love bombing." I think it will happen regardless of what we say. Our ward is a fairly close knit loving group.

Wish us luck. I think I am more nervous than my DW is.
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens

MoPag

Re: A sabbatical

Post by MoPag » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:58 am

Good luck! I hope your sabbatical is enlightening and empowering!
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Emower

Post by Emower » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:27 am

Sounds awesome. Investigating other churches is something I would love to do. Buuut, I dont want to do it alone and I dont want to go to two churches on any given Sunday.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:27 am

We wish you good luck moving forward as you find new sources of joy and enlightenment.

BriansThoughtMirror

Post by BriansThoughtMirror » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:49 am

Emower wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:27 am
Sounds awesome. Investigating other churches is something I would love to do. Buuut, I dont want to do it alone and I dont want to go to two churches on any given Sunday.
Oh, man, I hear ya. Good luck, Raylan!
Reflections From Brian's Brain
https://briansthoughtmirror.wordpress.com/

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:54 am

Every member of the church should be required to take a one year sabbatical and evaluate their membership. How many would remain active?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Raylan Givens

Post by Raylan Givens » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:26 pm

I think it all started after hanging out with some friends and they described their Church. It had such a different feel to it, more full, more let's just enjoy each other's company. Less stress and worry about small things, and the idea of having a nice sermon without two kids complaining sounds nice.
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:32 am

Raylan Givens wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:26 pm
I think it all started after hanging out with some friends and they described their Church. It had such a different feel to it, more full, more let's just enjoy each other's company. Less stress and worry about small things, and the idea of having a nice sermon without two kids complaining sounds nice.
I would love to find that. Enjoy the journey.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:23 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:54 am
Every member of the church should be required to take a one year sabbatical and evaluate their membership. How many would remain active?
There is no Rumspringa in LDS culture. Quite to the contrary, a faithful Mormon will go on a two year mission with evern more restrictions on them. Of late, there is growing concern over returned missionaries still dropping out of activity after completing a full proselyting mission.

Taking a sabbatical sounds like a great idea. I doubt the institutional church could ever support such a policy since the effects of "not living in a manner to have the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost" is not nearly as dire as Primary and Sunday School wanted to warn me about.

Raylan Givens

Post by Raylan Givens » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:58 pm

Just a quick update. My DW actually went to meet with BP. I stayed home with the kids. She was gone for over an hour. Overall, he was broken hearted. He is at about 5 years in as a BP and feels like he has failed. So many people have left, or want nothing to do with the Church. This stings a little, since he has a kind heart and means well. DW as always was on point and made it clear he doesn't need to send the rescue crew. We will still serve in our midweek callings and continue to befriend our ward neighbors.

Now to plan our first few church tours...

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:40 am

If your area is like my area, there are a number of churches to choose from in visiting.

Recommend List ( start with the U churches):

United Church of Christ
Unity
Unitarian-Universalist

For the granddaddy of churches - The Catholic Church - gotta love the majesty of the full Mass
Episcopalian Church
Luthern Church (stay away from the ones affiliated with the Missouri Synod)
Presbyterian Church
American Baptist Church (stay away from those affiliated with the Southern Baptist Klan)
Community of Christ (the former RLDS)
A Reformed Jewish Synagogue (the NOMs of Judaism)
A Greek Orthodox Church is fun and ***they might have some wonderful Greek cookies and baklava after***

These groups might not have the Fullness of the Gospel, but they have much better sermons. Make sure you stay for the after Church socializing since that is where you get to meet people and ask questions.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Raylan Givens

Re: A sabbatical *update*

Post by Raylan Givens » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:21 pm

So, the first week of the Sabbatical was very nice. At the end of the day, DW and I felt better than we had in a long time. Church was an hour and half including some chit-chat.

We ended up going to a small non-denominational church up the street. They are more Evangelical and conservative than I would normally be attracted to, but they were close and very nice and DW liked the music, guitars and all.

The Pastor isnt super eloquent, but he had a heart-to-heart meeting with the congregation letting them know about finances, and his goal to raise $30k to build an addition for a church to house a missionary, and a humanitarian plan. Was pretty open about it. During his sermon, he talked about the history of the verses in Mark he was sharing and how there is not much historical record of them, but he still like the message and it gelled with the other Gospels.
My oldest daughter liked church, not having to be quiet. She played a game and ate a popsicle.

We have decided to try each church about two to three times and then try something else. One more time with this church then on to another church up the street (weird to have two non-lds churches on the same street in Morcor).

Upward and onward.

Meilingkie

Post by Meilingkie » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:06 am

Wishing you the best of luck, it sounds so familiar. And I can tell you it works wonders.
"Getting the Mormon out of the Church is easier than getting the Mormon out of the Ex-Mormon"

StarbucksMom

Post by StarbucksMom » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:15 am

I am so, so, jealous. I wish so badly I could do this with my husband and family. I have attended a Christian church several times, but it causes tension in my marriage. Lately I try to go to Sac Meeting with my husband and some of our kids to keep the peace.

You are so blessed to be together with your wife on this.

Wonderment

Post by Wonderment » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:57 pm

Recommend List ( start with the U churches):

United Church of Christ
Unity
Unitarian-Universalist
I second this idea..........all of these U churches have a positive message to offer without the proselytizing or stern dogma. Try to find a church with a positive approach to spiritual understanding. Please keep us updated on how you're doing ! - Wndr.