No New Calling - Bishop Keeps Giving Me Assignments

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Deepthinker

No New Calling - Bishop Keeps Giving Me Assignments

Post by Deepthinker » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:19 pm

Title says it all. I've been released from my calling as Executive Secretary since July and don't have a new calling yet, which I'm fine with. Our Bishop, though, keeps giving me these temporary assignments. Last month it was organizing Friends of Scouting. A few months ago he asked me to get one of our elderly high priests out of the house every now and then (he has Parkinsons). I actually don't mind that one.

This month he (by passing our names to the stake) asked my wife and I to be facilitators for our stake for a self-reliance class. Finally talked with him about this last week, told him the self-reliance class doesn't work for us, and said he doesn't have to keep giving me assignments. I just don't get why some bishops feel like they have to keep their ward members busy with assignments.

Give It Time

Re: No New Calling - Bishop Keeps Giving Me Assignments

Post by Give It Time » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:58 pm

It keeps people away from places like this.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

No Tof

Post by No Tof » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:59 pm

I think Give it Time nailed it.

Also, don’t you agree it’s the normal MO for members to be anxiously engaged in doing good but IMO pointless busy tasks?
Busy and obedient are the best followers.

I have enjoyed taking back my life and choosing what to do with my time.
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there.
Rumi

didyoumythme

Post by didyoumythme » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:40 pm

By giving you assignments he feels like he is successfully re activating you back to full faith and participation. Like GBH said, all members need a friend, a responsibility, and nurturing from the good word of God. All things to keep people busy busy busy!
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being honest, or cease being mistaken. - Anonymous

Raylan Givens

Post by Raylan Givens » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:38 am

Most of those tasks would have been done by a bishopric member, he wants to spread the wealth...
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens

Deepthinker

Post by Deepthinker » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:19 am

No Tof wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:59 pm
I think Give it Time nailed it.

Also, don’t you agree it’s the normal MO for members to be anxiously engaged in doing good but IMO pointless busy tasks?
Busy and obedient are the best followers.

I have enjoyed taking back my life and choosing what to do with my time.
Yep, it all seems so pointless now. I was glad I could actually tell the bishop that I didn't need to have these assignments, that I'm good without them. He told me that when he was released from the HC it took a while before he was given a new calling and it was difficult for him, so he's just applying his experience to me. I can tell his intentions are good.

Deepthinker

Post by Deepthinker » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:25 am

Raylan Givens wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:38 am
Most of those tasks would have been done by a bishopric member, he wants to spread the wealth...
I know, which is sort of what bothers me about it.

Most of what they are giving me requires organizational skills, which the bishop knows is a strength for me. I vented to DW about this, that almost all of my callings throughout my life have been given to me because I'm good at organizing, and not because they were inspired callings. She actually agreed when I listed out all the callings: finance clerk, membership clerk, elders secretary (3 times), executive secretary. I was even called once (actually sustained in Sacrament meeting) to be the person who set up the chairs for Sunday services.

I told DW I'm tired of doing the same types of callings all the time, that I would prefer to teach youth SS. The only calling I ever enjoyed was 2nd counselor in the YMs, teaching the deacons and going on all the scouting activities.

Raylan Givens

Post by Raylan Givens » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:21 pm

I went to a different church today. The pastor sat down and said, I want to have a conversation with you all, like we are out to coffee. He proceeded to read an email he wrote. Inside he detailed how serving in a calling/ministry that you do not want, or have lost the passion for can be draining and take take you further from God. He then said please tell me very simply if the ministry you have is either.
1- is awesome you love be it
2- is no no longer of interest
3- you don't want any sort of calling/ministry

He said he wants everyone to feel good about what they are doing.
He then listed the needs they have and said let him know if you feel inspired to help (some are even paid...Heaven forbid).

Different tactic than I am used to.

I always got called to work with teenagers (perhaps because I teach middle school? Ever thought that I might want some distance from them, especially since I am the same ward as some of my students).
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens