Mormon/Feminism blog post on huffpost

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
crossmyheart

Mormon/Feminism blog post on huffpost

Post by crossmyheart » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:32 am

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/i- ... 7be5823eb6

More on the fluffy side, but I like the visual imagery of her description of the landscape of Mormon women.

Don't get me started on my disappointment on the downfall of huffpost's credibility. I think they invented fake news... I still peek at it every now and then hoping it will find its way back to actual reporting.

MoPag

Re: Mormon/Feminism blog post on huffpost

Post by MoPag » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:24 am

Thanks for sharing this crossmyheart.

I really liked this part:
It was in Provo I learned to love women wildly different from me, and it was in Provo that I learned to love the woman I am still becoming, even though she is wildly different from what I’d always been told to expect. For me, a natural result of this love has been a feminism as expansive as my now discarded map of womanhood was restrictive.
Sometimes it's hard to love the women who embrace their oppression and their second class status. It's hard to love them when they refuse to see another side. It's hard when they embrace and teach rape culture. It's frustrating, exhausting, and it hurts. But there is something powerful in extending to the them the love they don't have for others, or even their own selves.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Wonderment

Re: Mormon/Feminism blog post on huffpost

Post by Wonderment » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:55 pm

Sometimes it's hard to love the women who embrace their oppression and their second class status. It's hard to love them when they refuse to see another side. It's hard when they embrace and teach rape culture. It's frustrating, exhausting, and it hurts. But there is something powerful in extending to the them the love they don't have for others, or even their own selves.
Agreed, and I think this holds true for women in many conservative churches, whose lives are relegated to children and kitchen. They live in a very small world.
I read some of the "Mormon mommy" blogs, and while well-meaning, TBM women often benefit greatly from expanding their very sheltered lives. JMO. - Wndr.