Priesthood and Women's Session Changes

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
blazerb

Priesthood and Women's Session Changes

Post by blazerb » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:57 pm

Has everyone seen the changes to General Conference? The priesthood session and women's session will only be held once a year, each.

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/g ... april-2018

Give It Time

Re: Priesthood and Women's Session Changes

Post by Give It Time » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:19 pm

😎🖖💖
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

Emower

Post by Emower » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:22 pm

If they really wanted to reduce and simplify then cutting out one meeting that only happens every 6 months is not going to cut it. But hey, baby steps right?

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:12 pm

Emower wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:22 pm
If they really wanted to reduce and simplify then cutting out one meeting that only happens every 6 months is not going to cut it. But hey, baby steps right?
I was going to say something along the lines of: "Yay! One less useless meeting", but you've got a point.

It's only one hour PER YEAR. There are plenty of other places to make real efforts "of reducing and simplifying the work of the Church and the demands made upon leaders and members."
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:02 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:12 pm
Emower wrote:
I was going to say something along the lines of: "Yay! One less useless meeting", but you've got a point.

It's only one hour PER YEAR. There are plenty of other places to make real efforts "of reducing and simplifying the work of the Church and the demands made upon leaders and members."
Technically it's two hours per year on a gross basis, but only 1 hour per year for men/women respectively. This is a baby step in the right direction.
As others have commented elsewhere - I wonder what was the impetus?

Firesides are transitioning to online evening with an apostle. GenCon is merging with WomenCon, BSA is being phased out. Missions are reducing.

They are consolidating power.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:27 pm

Korihor wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:02 pm
wtfluff wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:12 pm
Emower wrote:

Technically it's two hours per year on a gross basis, but only 1 hour per year for men/women respectively.
That's what I was thinking, when I typed what I typed... :ugeek:
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:25 pm

I think the added expense and time commitment of having the women’s conference a full week ahead is the reason for the change. Women want to come from around the world to both conferences and have to stay for about 10 days rather than just a weekend.

Yeah. One extra guiltless evening per year for skipping the priesthood session.
~2bizE

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:48 pm

Even though it's officially part of GC, I still considered WC the warm up act for the main event. Now, it's part of the main event and the men are literally yielding the (time) floor. I love that it's one less meeting per year for both genders. I love that there is symbolic equalization (not total equality) in the time slot. This will probably change where the women's conference talks are on the website and in the Ensign. I believe it will lend credibility to the women's voices which will increase the chances of the women's talks being used as the main source for lessons and talks.

I really do see this move as an all around win for everyone.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:53 pm

Give It Time wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:48 pm
Even though it's officially part of GC, I still considered WC the warm up act for the main event. Now, it's part of the main event and the men are literally yielding the (time) floor. I love that it's one less meeting per year for both genders. I love that there is symbolic equalization (not total equality) in the time slot. This will probably change where the women's conference talks are on the website and in the Ensign. I believe it will lend credibility to the women's voices which will increase the chances of the women's talks being used as the main source for lessons and talks.

I really do see this move as an all around win for everyone.
There may also be an effect of fewer total women speakers. They can "equalize" while doubling down on status quo where we hear from men, only men preside, and fewer and fewer women are given opportunities to speak or pray in general meetings.

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:11 am

Pffft. They are floundering around because they don't know what the heck they are doing. They know something is wrong in the Church but they can't admit to themselves what it really is. The intended purpose of this move is irrelevant in a way, because it won't achieve whatever it's intended purpose is.

But I will like one less priesthood meeting to sleep through. If Ordain Women knew how boring it is, they'd never have wanted to go.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:33 pm

Know who'll be sad? The merchants.

They make a killing off of conference, especially priesthood session.

During priesthood session are your wives and daughters home making doughnuts? No, they're at the girl's night out extravaganza at the craft store, the book store or salon. In Utah County, it is a very big thing for the men (frequently joined by wives and daughters) to go out to eat after the session. The restaurants here are packed during that time. I don't know about the women's session. I don't have daughters and, since I don't have to go to those meetings for an offspring, I don't.

ulmite

Post by ulmite » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:47 pm

Note how people with a priesthood antenna get to piggyback on the Annual GCs and people without one only get the semi-annual GCs.