Changes to General Conference

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
slavereeno

Changes to General Conference

Post by slavereeno » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:39 pm

They read a letter over the pulpit in SM last week about a change to general conference. Apparently they are going to have Priesthood mtg on the Saturday before April Conference and Women's Meeting on the Saturday before October conference and cancel the other occurrences of those two meetings. Woo-Hoo one less session a year for man and woman alike! Has anyone else heard this yet?

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states ... t=news-rec

wtfluff

Re: Changes to General Conference

Post by wtfluff » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:53 pm

Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:25 pm

On the plus side, each gender has one less meeting to sleep though.

On the minus side, the women no longer get a shortened meeting. They have to sit though a full 2 hour session like the men do.

I do wonder if this may be somewhat financially motivated. How much do they pay for the air time to broadcast the additional conference sessions. By cutting one 1.5 hours of prime Saturday TV programing, they are likely saving a LOT of money on broadcast fees.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:15 pm

Hang out on this board, Reddit ExMo or a few others and you'll know any news much sooner than any regular church member.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:05 am

Korihor wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:15 pm
Hang out on this board, Reddit ExMo or a few others and you'll know any news much sooner than any regular church member.
This is absolutely true. I know more things and I know them sooner than the general membership. Sometimes it's good and sometimes I want to go back to being blissfully unaware like my neighbors.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:10 pm

I have a friend who works at the COB. I have stopped asking him about new information I hear on the DAMU because he never has a clue.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

LostGirl

Post by LostGirl » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:37 am

In our ward this was touted as evidence of continuing revelation.

Emower

Post by Emower » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:37 am

LostGirl wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:37 am
I'm so grateful we have prophets for this kind of thing. It makes my heart so glad.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:20 pm

LostGirl wrote:
The standard for judging revelation has dropped to a new low. Prophets, seers, and revelators now can only publicly disclose divine meeting schedules.

oliver_denom

Post by oliver_denom » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:25 pm

Corsair wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:20 pm
LostGirl wrote:
The standard for judging revelation has dropped to a new low. Prophets, seers, and revelators now can only publicly disclose divine meeting schedules.
I can't wait to see this canonized in the D&C, "I am the Lord thy God and thus command that priesthood session shall be held a bit less often and a week before. Lo, I shall get back to you on the looming threat of nuclear war, poverty, and the refugee crisis...a bit busy helping Dallin Oaks on his burn book, even so amen."

“You want to know something? We are still in the Dark Ages. The Dark Ages--they haven't ended yet.” - Vonnegut

L'enfer, c'est les autres - JP

LostGirl

Post by LostGirl » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:02 am

Oliver, emower and corsair, thanks for the laugh. The sunday school lesson on sunday was the continuing revelation one, and was rather dull, with the examples in the manual including correlation, the 70s quorums and the 1978 declaration. Correlation?? Really?? A bit sad that is the best they could come up with.