If you were prophet for a day...

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
slavereeno

If you were prophet for a day...

Post by slavereeno » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:28 pm

If you were the big guy and could (theoretically) dictate anything, but needed to keep it from all falling apart. What would you do?

* Open the financials :lol:
* Slowly reduce the church block to 1.5 hours?
* Stop doing marriages in the temple, only do the sealing after 1 year of marriage?
* Shorten the endowment so it only takes 30-40 minutes?
* Massive revamp or elimination of HT/VT?
* Drop all Saturday sessions of conference?
* Drop tea, coffee and mild drink from the WoW or teach the WoW as its states "not by way of commandment"?
* Remove tithing from the temple recommend interview Q's?
* Remove belief questions from the temple recommend interview?
* Make garments optional/eliminate them entirely?
* Stop asking about masturbation?
* Let LGBTs participate fully?
* Let women have the priesthood?
* Open the historical vaults (bit by bit)?
* Stop excommunicating Apostates?

moksha

Re: If you were prophet for a day...

Post by moksha » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:09 am

If I were a prophet for a day...

I would worry about a couple of tough looking Elders showing up at my door and barging into my home. No doubt they would glare at me and announce menacingly as they reached for their quads, "There can be only one".

"Hold on guys", I would shout. "No need to get your garments bunched up, this is just a one day gig."
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:41 am

Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:32 pm

Dang it, I keep Noobing... Apologies :oops:

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:40 pm

Funny how we all think this way. Slaverenno I love your list. I could modify and add a bit but those are some big ones.

Women and the PH.
Women in equal representative leadership.
LGBTQIA equality in every possible way.
No more honor code at the church schools. (Or maybe you WoW changes suffice).
Monthly service days on the last Sunday of the month (no church meeting, just community service)

SeeNoEvil

Post by SeeNoEvil » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:56 pm

If I were a prophet for a day I'd gather the entire Q15 and say "We all know this church is bogus... lets come clean and no one leaves the room until we figure this all out starting with no more exclusions of anyone!" It's a nice thought to think how a fresh new face at the top could change the church for the better. It would be quite the day if I became prophet because I lack the male plumbing so I would be the first female prophet and well..... that would be quite something wouldn't it!! :D :D
"Every event that has taken place in this universe has led you to this moment.
... The real question is, what will you do with this moment?" - Unknown

"Never arrive @ a point where you know everything - Korihor57

lostinmiddlemormonism

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:37 am

Resign :twisted:

-lost

oliver_denom

Post by oliver_denom » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:44 am

I would make just one change, I would eliminate any and all disciplinary powers. No one is allowed to determine anyone else's "worthiness", not allowed to remove their membership status or restrict their participation. This can all be replaced by mandatory background checks for certain positions and automatic releases for specific criminal accusations, behavior, and law breaking. By removing the fear of punishment, I think the church would have the freedom to rebel and flourish.
“You want to know something? We are still in the Dark Ages. The Dark Ages--they haven't ended yet.” - Vonnegut

L'enfer, c'est les autres - JP

Enoch Witty

Post by Enoch Witty » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:38 pm

As the corporation sole, I'd distribute the entire liquid capital of the church among the membership and ex-membership. Then I'd donate the rest of its assets to where they could do the most good.

Grace2Daisy

Post by Grace2Daisy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:13 pm

There are far too many to list, I would essentially change the church to being a more mainstream Christian church rather than an outlier.

As an example, temple marriage is one of the more devisive hurtful activities that divides families rather than uniting them. If I don't hold a temple recommend I cannot attend any of my grandchildren's weddings (those who are still active). "We're getting married, but if you have not paid your dues and therefore you must wait in the parking lot and be a babysitter."

Since governments in many foreign countries will not recognize a marriage performed in secret, the LDS Church makes special provision for those foreign members. The church “allows” those couples to be married civilly out in the open to satisfy local laws and customs, then lets them be sealed in the temple as soon after the wedding as is convenient for them. But if you live in North America and have a civil marriage first, you don't get that privilege, in fact you must wait one year to be sealed. However, during that one year you can do sealing for others, just not for yourself. How dumb is that? Clearly showing a double standard that either God's law is subordinate to civil law, or that the leaders of the Church are acting arbitrarily.

So, if God allows it to be done in one nation, why not allow? Hmmm. . . maybe God is not making those decisions.
"What is truth?" retorted Pilate. John 18:38

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:27 pm

Grace2Daisy wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:13 pm
Clearly showing a double standard that either God's law is subordinate to civil law, or that the leaders of the Church are acting arbitrarily.

So, if God allows it to be done in one nation, why not allow? Hmmm. . . maybe God is not making those decisions.
It would be an enormous show of good will to stop doing marriages in the temple altogether. Anybody not interested in holding the recommend could still attend the wedding and probably wouldn't care that much about the sealing anyway.

It reeks of emotional extortion. :evil:

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:34 pm

slavereeno wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:27 pm
It reeks of emotional extortion. :evil:
Oh, the extortion is not ju$t emotional. Not by a long $hot.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:52 pm

Just a few things that havn't already been mentioned.

1. Excommunicate all current siting apostles for failure to be honest with their fellow men. If I have time, go though all GAs and MPs as well and excommunicate as needed.
2. Sell all temple and money making ventures. proceeds to be given to a non LDS charity.
3. The Archives are to be completely taken and given to a major, non LDS, university to 100% catalog, digitize, and make public.
4. Institute a training program similar to the BSA two-deep program. All leadership will be required to certify.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:39 pm

ThoughtBubble: You think The Corporation is rich enough to refund tithing paid by current, living members?

Yeah, that's what I'd do if I were profit for a day: Sell off ALL assets and refund folks their money. (Of course people wouldn't absolutely be required to take their money back, so leftovers could go to a real charity.)

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander