I just realized that I would be a model member of just about any other church

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

I just realized that I would be a model member of just about any other church

Post by Hagoth » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:24 pm

I show up for an hour or so most Sundays, I give hundreds of dollars (fast offering - not counting my wife's tithing - probably equivalent to dropping money in the basket that they pass around in typical congregations) I show up for some of the non-Sunday activities, help with the occasional scouting project, and I even do janitorial work when they ask me. By just about any other church's standards I'm a model churchgoer. At least in a church where I don't have to convince other middle-aged men that I'm wearing my secret underwear according to the rules.

My next door neighbor goes to a 1-hour Episcopal sermon a few times a year, feels great about his degree of participation, and is considered a member in good standing. I attend Sacrament Meeting and sometimes Sunday school almost every week and I barely qualify as an apostate slacker who has jeopardized my family's eternal salvation. Go figure.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Corsair

Re: I just realized that I would be a model member of just about any other church

Post by Corsair » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:55 pm

Possibly the most famous quotation from the Lectures on Faith in 6:7:
Joseph Smith wrote: "A religion that does not require the sacrifice of all things, never has power sufficient to produce the faith necessary unto life and salvation".
The bar was set quite high from the beginning. You can't accuse the church of ingratitude for your activity. It's for your own good and salvation.

Give It Time

Re: I just realized that I would be a model member of just about any other church

Post by Give It Time » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:49 am

Corsair wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:55 pm
Joseph Smith wrote: "A religion that does not require the sacrifice of all things, never has power sufficient to produce the faith necessary unto life and salvation".
The bar was set quite high from the beginning. You can't accuse the church of ingratitude for your activity. It's for your own good and salvation.
Basically, it's the idea of you get out of it what you put into it. However, there comes a point of diminishing returns. I try to find that balance. The idea was introduced on NOM 1.0 to look at your church activity from the point of view of a consumer, especially if you're donating any money to the church. Now, I do believe in donating and giving freely, but when an organization implies that there is a price of admission for being fully involved--and it does--then it would be wise to look at the church as providing a product and service and balance your church attendance and donation amount so you don't feel resentful.

The church would be shocked, because this is God. However, in contemplating the abuse questions that were part of my faith realignment, I learned to really ponder things from the Lord's point of view. DV is a situation where people can lose their lives. DV is a situation that the church has allowed bishops to mishandle for many generations all over the world. The impact is huge in terms of time and space. Do I think Heavenly Father is pleased that a man can push his pregnant wife down the stairs (just an example that I know of, didn't happen to me,) and the bishop sides with the man and insists the wife stays in the marriage where she--and, eventually, her child--will continue to be in danger? The church is in no hurry to put good guidelines in the handbooks to put better practices in place. That means the leaders of the church are giving tacit approval for these things to continue. Do I think the Lord is okay with that? No.

That long tangent is to say, human frailty considered a factor, but are you truly getting out of church what you put into it? If the leaders don't provide a product and service that is reasonable return on investment of your time, energy and money, then I think the Lord is perfectly okay with your either putting in less time, energy and money or the church providing a better product and service. It is my perception this is a capitalistic church. I don't have a problem with that, but companies in a capitalistic market will alter products and services to meet consumer demand. I didn't make it up. I'm just applying the model.

Somewhere in The Gospels there's a short reference to Jesus's female disciples providing for Jesus out of their substance. I do connect this with how radically different Jesus's teachings were with what was accepted at the time. I wonder if the women exercised monetary influence to get him to teach doctrines of kindness and gentleness.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:44 am

Hagoth wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:24 pm
I attend Sacrament Meeting and sometimes Sunday school almost every week and I barely qualify as an apostate slacker who has jeopardized my family's eternal salvation. Go figure.
I suspect God welcomes you with open arms even if your comrades in Mormonism make you feel less than adequate. In a room full of zealots, a pious person should never feel inadequate. Zealotry might blow their hair back, but it only rumples your own.

That Episcopalian neighbor might feel great because it was a good sermon, but I bet they did not furnish his two-year-old a chance to repeat his mommy's whispers and say, "Church is twoo. Name Jesus. Amen".
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:55 am

Corsair wrote:
I'm sure there's an empty bishop's chair somewhere that would love to have your butt in it, Corsair.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:27 am

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:55 am
I'm sure there's an empty bishop's chair somewhere that would love to have your butt in it, Corsair.
I warned my ward that if they made me bishop I was going to introduce "Casual Sunday". The response was more positive than expected. Luckily, the Office of the First Presidency has to approve all bishop appointments. My background check will be far too spiritually horrifying to include me as a candidate.

John G.

Post by John G. » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:56 pm

Great Post! So very true! This is why is stopped attending at all! You just can’t attend a few times a year (Christmas and Easter) without being considered a second-class member!

Heck, my family has attended the neighborhood Methodist church a few times over the years (Christmas and Easter) and we consider ourselves members in good standing of that church! (I’ve recently decided to stop identifying to non-family members as someone who, “was raised mormon, but no longer follows it,” and just saying, “I go to a methodist church sometimes.” I guess I’m making the transition from NOM to formal ex-mo)
"If your children are taught untruths on evolution in the public schools or even in our Church schools, provide them with a copy of President Joseph Fielding Smith's excellent rebuttal in his book Man, His Origin and Destiny."

Ezra Taft Benson

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:36 pm

Corsair wrote:
What kind of faith is this? You mean Jim Jones, David Koresh, and Heaven's Gate (not to mention Warren Jeffs) had it right? Is that a powerful, saving faith?

By the way Hagoth, you're my hero. :D
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:00 pm

deacon blues wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:36 pm
By the way Hagoth, you're my hero. :D
Right back at ya, bro.