Convert baptism

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Jinx

Convert baptism

Post by Jinx » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:48 pm

Today in SM they confirmed a 30-something mom with two kids who had been converted by her kids playing with nice Mormon kids. All testimonies were about how wonderful this was.

All I could think was "another sucker who can't afford to pay the 10% entrance fee". And I sat there feeling miserable the whole time.

I attend church because I love the choir director and I love being in the choir. But I'm wondering if it's really worth it.
“This is the best part of the week!” – Homer Simpson
“It’s the longest possible time before more church!” – Lisa Simpson

SeeNoEvil

Re: Convert baptism

Post by SeeNoEvil » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:09 pm

Jinx wrote:All I could think was "another sucker who can't afford to pay the 10% entrance fee". And I sat there feeling miserable the whole time.
My thoughts exactly! She must not have a computer or she would have searched and found the real truth. Still not to late.... maybe anonymously mail her a CES letter and the essays. She still can get out before they have their teeth sunk to far into her ;)
"Every event that has taken place in this universe has led you to this moment.
... The real question is, what will you do with this moment?" - Unknown

"Never arrive @ a point where you know everything - Korihor57

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:20 pm

We've had 6 in the last two years. Three were a full fledge family. Mom, Dad, and Daughter. They were involved in 4-H and surrounded by mormon families. They wanted to dip their fries in the magic sauce they felt was missing in their life. To be honest, it works for them and they are generally happy. They even made it through the temple this past year. I had the same thought of an anonymous CES letter landing at their doorstep. But I realized they have found what they wanted so why take that away?

The other 3 converts have all gone inactive.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

azflyer

Post by azflyer » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:01 pm

Red Ryder wrote:We've had 6 in the last two years. Three were a full fledge family. Mom, Dad, and Daughter. They were involved in 4-H and surrounded by mormon families. They wanted to dip their fries in the magic sauce they felt was missing in their life. To be honest, it works for them and they are generally happy. They even made it through the temple this past year. I had the same thought of an anonymous CES letter landing at their doorstep. But I realized they have found what they wanted so why take that away?

The other 3 converts have all gone inactive.
In our last ward, I knew a family of three that was similar to this. The church really helped them turn their lives around in some very positive ways. It has brought them a peace that they did not know before. Why would anyone want to take that from them?