A Good Thing

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Give It Time

A Good Thing

Post by Give It Time » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:11 pm

My former VT asked me yesterday and my RSP just texted me. They wanted to make sure my family and I had a place to go for Thanksgiving.

Even when I was TBM, we were explicitly told to make sure the people on our routes had a place to go for Thanksgiving.

The fact that our religion does this is not unique. I'm sure whatever checklist the bishop and RSP have are not unique. The VT and HT, of course, are. It's easy to get caught up in criticizing religion and much of that criticism is necessary, because there is much about religion that is broken. But making sure the members of a congregation are cared for and remembered during the holidays is something religions get right and, to me, is a responsibility that falls most appropriately to them, after family and closest friends.

So, I'm grateful for the fact that I had two people in my ward make sure my family and I have a place to spend Thanksgiving.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

MalcolmVillager

Re: A Good Thing

Post by MalcolmVillager » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:38 pm

Yes, it is easy to like on with complaints but Mormonism sure does community about as well as any human organization.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:54 am

That is sweet that they reached out to you.

I wish we could have a big NOM thanksgiving! :D
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

SeeNoEvil

Post by SeeNoEvil » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:11 pm

Give It Time wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:11 pm
My former VT asked me yesterday and my RSP just texted me. They wanted to make sure my family and I had a place to go for Thanksgiving.

Even when I was TBM, we were explicitly told to make sure the people on our routes had a place to go for Thanksgiving.

The fact that our religion does this is not unique. I'm sure whatever checklist the bishop and RSP have are not unique. The VT and HT, of course, are. It's easy to get caught up in criticizing religion and much of that criticism is necessary, because there is much about religion that is broken. But making sure the members of a congregation are cared for and remembered during the holidays is something religions get right and, to me, is a responsibility that falls most appropriately to them, after family and closest friends.

So, I'm grateful for the fact that I had two people in my ward make sure my family and I have a place to spend Thanksgiving.
Sounds like you have a wonderful visiting teacher and RS president! Thank you for recognizing visiting teachers and I might add home teachers. Over the years we've all had countless home and visiting teachers and of course we've been VT and HT as well. There are of course a few that I'm sure might have been a bit annoying or just never came but for me there are many I'll never forget because they genuinely made me feel cared for. I always thought it a good program. Now I'm resigned and of course don't come anymore. I missed them when I moved, or was recovering from a hospital stay. I missed knowing that someone would be calling once a month just to say hi or checking to see if I had a place for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner. In spite of all the things we agree or disagree with in the church they are just good people trying to do good things which I miss too. Thanks for the reminder!
"Every event that has taken place in this universe has led you to this moment.
... The real question is, what will you do with this moment?" - Unknown

"Never arrive @ a point where you know everything - Korihor57

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:50 pm

Yep.

As much as I detest the Corporation of the President™ at this moment in my life, the people that get together as religious congregations because of that corporation can do some extremely wonderful things for each other because of that association.

I've been the recipient of such goodness. I was overwhelmed and grateful at that point in my life, and I'll truly never forget it.
Last edited by wtfluff on Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Emower

Post by Emower » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:55 pm

MoPag wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:54 am

That would really be fun.

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:18 am

Emower wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:55 pm
MoPag wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:54 am

That would really be fun.

It would be really fun and my neighbor invited me to Thanksgiving.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren