We're all Liars...and well practiced.

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Brent

We're all Liars...and well practiced.

Post by Brent » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:17 pm

Latter-day Saints tend to be excellent liars. Think of the things you have to lie about if you're Mormon; Home/Visit Teaching, Scripture Study, Validity of the Book of Mormon (or any "translated" scripture), questions in interviews, sustaining people who are clearly not up to the task...and that's just kind of the administration issues.

Imagine:

Bishop: Do you sustain the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as the Prophet, Seer, and Revelator and as the only person on the earth who possesses and is authorized to exercise all priesthood keys? Do you sustain members of the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles as prophets, seers, and revelators? Do you sustain the other General Authorities and local authorities of the Church?

You: Well, one of my sons is gay and I certainly feel that the big guys are wrong on this one. In fact I firmly believe that this is simple political expediency to try and mesh with the GOP and evangelicals. Most other stuff yeah, but on this one: DEAD WRONG.

Bishop: OK. OK. You should pray on that more. Now, Do you support, affiliate with, or agree with any group or individual whose teachings or practices are contrary to or oppose those accepted by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?

You: Like?

Bishop: Do you support, affiliate with, or agree with any group or individual whose teachings or practices are contrary to or oppose those accepted by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?

You: Purple Dragons count? How about "Imagine Dragons" or "Neon Trees" or is it just "Ordain Women"? I kinda agree with the historical record and that women did give blessing and such--is that bad?

Bishop: You don't support "Ordain Women" do you?

You: Not monetarily. But they do make some valid points.

Bishop: Are you a full-tithe payer?

You: Net yeah!

Bishop: Huh?

You: Yes. I pay on the increase I earn.

Bishop: So...we get monthly checks?

You: No. I calculate it when the year is done. THEN I send in the check...on line.

Bishop: I'm gonna sign this but you'll need to be more exacting in your answers to the Stake President.

Of course you could have just "yes/no" and realize that they really don't care if you're lying at all because they're a little short on discernment. See, years and years of avoiding a truthful answer IS years and years of lying and practice makes perfect.

nibbler

Re: We're all Liars...and well practiced.

Post by nibbler » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:35 pm

Just say "yes" to the questions you're supposed to say yes to and "no" to the questions you're supposed to. If anyone ever challenges you:
There has been no attempt on [my part] to try to hide anything from anybody."
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:36 pm

I am up for this in the next month. I don't know what I will do. Depends on the day. Either way I am lying to someone. My bishop, myself, my wife, the world.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:02 am

Probably the biggest lie I told (myself and most everyone else) was that I was, or could be that perfect, fake, mormon caricature that I was taught I was supposed to be.

And the lies I told myself were based on the lies told to me by LDS-Inc.: that I had to be that perfect mormon caricature, or I'd be damned for eternity.

Such a pleasant thought: My entire life was molded around lies... :geek:
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:10 am

nibbler wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:35 pm
Just say "yes" to the questions you're supposed to say yes to and "no" to the questions you're supposed to. If anyone ever challenges you:
There has been no attempt on [my part] to try to hide anything from anybody."
If it gets really bad, you could always say, "Some truths just aren't very useful."

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:37 am

I struggle with this a bit when it comes to teaching my kids. It's tough telling them to be honest but then teaching them it's ok to lie to the bishop about masturbation and confessions.

The most ironic thing I look back at was lying about the number of discussions taught and other stats as a missionary. Reporting the truth got you verbally busted and beat up by the DL's, ZL's, AP's, and MP for not being a good enough missionary. So we lied and made up numbers. Then ironically, our conversion rates were bad because we were "teaching" all these discussions but baptizing nobody which resulted in getting verbally busted and beat up by the MP and GA's that came to the mission.

Talk about a really bad business model. Berate your salesman for not being obedient and good enough which then causes them to lie. Repeat until they can compartmentalize anything and develop them into future MLM fraudsters and ponzi schemers then turn them loose on your congregation!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

SeeNoEvil

Post by SeeNoEvil » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:21 pm

Sadly you are correct in our lying. In order to survive in that type of world we can't be honest. We all have seen what happens when we openly question and express our concerns. Being honest just is not on the plate in an abusive world if we want to survive. You learn fast to lie in an abusive relationship and the church is no different.
"Every event that has taken place in this universe has led you to this moment.
... The real question is, what will you do with this moment?" - Unknown

"Never arrive @ a point where you know everything - Korihor57