Got guilt?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Red Ryder

Got guilt?

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:48 am

Have you ever stared at your cup of coffee and thought "I'm losing my eternal salvation over this?"

Have you ever stepped into a pair of black underwear and thought "I'm throwing away my eternal marriage with my spouse over these?"

Have you stopped buying extra cans of green beans and thought "what if the apocalypse comes and I'm not prepared?"

Have you ever driven past your home or visiting teaching families house on the last day of the month and thought "I don't have time to stop by, I'll check on them tomorrow?"

Have you ever felt guilty for feeling guilty?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Rob4Hope

Re: Got guilt?

Post by Rob4Hope » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:53 am

Not for a long time.

But it use to happen in LOADS....

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:13 pm

Nope. Never really had a fine honed sense of guilt. I grew up Protestant, the United Church of Canada before my family joined the church, and never really honed my guiltiness. Now, saying that, I'm a pretty vanilla dude who doesn't like the taste of coffee, tea or alcohol, has passed the desire to try weed, and is quite content with the occasional snuggle from the missus.
But I did watch Deadpool and Breaking Bad without a hint of remorse.

After learning what I've learned, and I said this to the bishop recently, as long as I'm not marrying 14 year olds behind Sis. M's back, I think my celestial standing is pretty good. I'm not worried or guilted up.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

SeeNoEvil

Post by SeeNoEvil » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:31 pm

I used to, but it's been a long time. Once I realized it was all part of the indoctrination I was able to recognize it and shut those feelings down when they happened. They don't come any more. It is nice to be able to live without the guilt of being punished for not wearing the Lord's approved underwear or not paying my 10% to fund the next mall. The only guilt I feel is for all the money, time and tears I gave to this church that I will never get back.
"Every event that has taken place in this universe has led you to this moment.
... The real question is, what will you do with this moment?" - Unknown

"Never arrive @ a point where you know everything - Korihor57

Stig

Post by Stig » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:31 pm

Tons. About everything. Especially about how my disaffection affected my marriage. Guilt that just won't stop.
“Some say he’s wanted by the CIA and that he sleeps upside down like a Bat. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that he lives in a tree, and that his sweat can be used to clean precious metals. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

20/20hind

Post by 20/20hind » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:00 pm

I feel a slight forn of guilt when i imagine going back in time and punching my ggg grandpa in the nose for joining this idiotic church.

Thanks gramps..

Emower

Post by Emower » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:56 pm

I feel freedom from guilt and an increased level of guilt all at the same time. I don't know how it works, but it happens.

No Tof

Post by No Tof » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:16 pm

Nope.

Guilt is gone. Joy is on the rise.
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there.
Rumi

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:28 am

No guilt from doing any of these actions. There is some from effectively hiding it from my wife.

Stig

Post by Stig » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:04 am

Emower wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:56 pm
I feel freedom from guilt and an increased level of guilt all at the same time. I don't know how it works, but it happens.
I feel free from guilt of being held accountable by an invisible being for my (alleged) "sins". I feel an increase of guilt for disappointing friends and family by "falling away."
“Some say he’s wanted by the CIA and that he sleeps upside down like a Bat. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that he lives in a tree, and that his sweat can be used to clean precious metals. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

LaMachina

Post by LaMachina » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:59 pm

Nope. No guilt for my many years of "sinning".

I'll tell you what does cause me no shortage of apprehension and guilt though...sometimes I feel like I'm shortchanging my kids.

Look, the mormon church straight up sucks. We got out in large part due to my kids. But I do have fond memories of certain youth activities. And I have a kid on the spectrum. An awesome kid. Although a little lacking in some of the social skills.

We've tried so many things...some moderate successes, some disasters. But we got desperate enough to try and tap into the ready made social outlets the church could provide. Of course people were excited about the prospect...and while it's still early in the experiment it seems as though, at least in my neck of the woods, the church still sucks.

I'm disappointed 😞 . These guys are incapable of dealing with people any different in anyway. But I guess it helps with that particular guilt.

crazyhamster

Post by crazyhamster » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:39 am

Only at the very first. Then, something kind of “clicked”, and I realized how that was all rather silly - that those things are so minor in the scheme of things how could they affect my eternal progress, if there is such a thing.

I do sometimes feel anxious about feeling anxious, but that’s another whole ball of wax.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:32 am

I got over all of those things pretty quickly, but only after 40+ years of dealing with the guilt and being racked many times over my eternal salvation.

Now the only guilt I feel is all the money I paid to a corporation of old men, putting all their kids and grand kids through college, cleaning their buildings, preaching their crap and walking on their treadmill while not being able to afford putting my own kids through higher education. That guilt still racks me!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

crossmyheart

Post by crossmyheart » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:00 am

Every now and then I get this tinge of guilt- but usually when something bad has happened and I hear the little voice that says "this wouldn't have happened if you were paying tithing, or going to church, or doing your VT..."

But that voice is fading and only pops up on rare occasions of self doubt. Most of the time now, I feel lighthearted- that I am free from group-think.

The further I stay away, the better I feel.