Short list of some local LDS leaders the law thinks committed sex crimes – 1 indication youth interviews are not safe

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Zack Tacorin Dos

Short list of some local LDS leaders the law thinks committed sex crimes – 1 indication youth interviews are not safe

Post by Zack Tacorin Dos » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:41 am

I posted this yesterday on Reddit Exmo, and it got buried pretty quickly, but I wanted to share with my NOMies, so here it is.

I have no doubt whatsoever that most local leaders are great guys, but I want to demonstrate that men called to these positions are just human, and the children need further protection from the LDS Church’s interviewing practices. Yes, only a very small percentage of these leaders commit such atrocities, but isn’t one case more than enough? And if some of them are committing such heinous acts, you don’t even have to hear the stories of interviews gone bad to realize that these untrained men, behind closed doors, one-on-one alone with minors, in a Church that has taught all sorts of un-retracted sexual shame (see Miracle of Forgiveness), are causing psychological and spiritual harm.

Please sign Sam Young’s Petition to Stop Sexually Oriented Interviews of Mormon Youth.

If you have corrections or other persons to add to my short list below, please do.

Timothy McCleve

2008 - Former bishop pleaded guilty to sexually abusing three young girls in his Harrisville ward.

“While he was an LDS bishop, McCleve sexually abused three sisters from his ward. The molestations took place more than a dozen times in their home.”
(As found here)

Lon Kennard, Sr.

2010 – Former bishop arrested for sexual abuse of a child 2010

“The sexual abuse outlined in court records allegedly began in 1995, around the time Kennard was serving as bishop of his LDS Church ward.”
(As found here)

Eneudo Petit

2012 – Former bishop fled to Venezuela to avoid arrest warrant for sexual abuse

“Eneudo Petit was an LDS bishop when he was accused of sexual abuse of two minor girls who are related to him.”
(As found here)

Todd Michael Edwards

2013 – Former bishop sentenced to three years for sex abuse

“Edwards received two concurrent sentences of three years in prison for two felony counts of sexual battery and sexual penetration with a foreign object. A witness intimidation felony was dismissed as part of a plea deal.”
(As found here)

Cesar Duran

2013 – Bishopric member arrested for sexual abuse of 13-year-old girl

“According to police documents, Duran is in the bishopric of the accuser's LDS ward . . . The girl [accuser] said, Duran told her she was cute and asked for a hug. The accuser said that during the hug Duran thrust his pelvic area into hers. The accuser then left and continued cleaning and while her back was turned Duran allegedly entered the room, grabbed her hips from behind and thrust his pelvis into her backside.”
(As found here)

Unnamed bishop

2014 – Bishop accused before the Public Ministry of sexual abuse and pedophilia of a child under seven years of age

“This man, using his position as bishop, took advantage of the trust of the parents and his religious principles, and sexually abused the minor.”
(Translated from this. Let me know if you have translation improvements for this.)

Michael Wayne Coleman

2014 – Former bishop arrested for allegedly luring a minor for sexual exploitation

“When the investigation began, Coleman was the bishop of the Lehi Second Ward in Mesa.
Police received a tip from a foreign exchange student company Educatius International after a 16-year-old male student told them of an inappropriate Facebook chat, according to police.
Police said they found evidence of an additional elicit sexual conversation with a 17-year-old male.”
(As found here)

Donald Nelson Bills

2015 – Former bishopric member pleaded guilty to forcible sodomy, object rape, forcible sexual abuse, obstructing justice, and tampering with a witness
In exchange for the plea, 10 additional charges were dismissed.

“Bills used his position in an LDS bishopric to convince the girl that their behavior was not inappropriate, according to the charges. He also told her that if their relationship was ever discovered, she should say they had only kissed and that she had initiated it. Otherwise, he warned she would be hated at school as the person who "took down Donny Bills" and would no longer be allowed to participate in the athletic training program.”
(As found here)

Keith Vallejo

2017 – Former bishop convicted of 11 sexual-related felonies

“A 4th District Court jury found Vallejo guilty of ten counts of second-degree felony forcible sexual abuse and one count of object rape, a first-degree felony.
(As found here)

Jeffrey Graton

2017 - Bishopric counselor arrested for reported sexual abuse

“The abuse reportedly happened 10 times.
Graton reportedly told police he had touched the girl’s chest and thighs, both under and over clothing, while giving her a massage in two occasions two and a half years ago. He also admitted to grabbing the girl’s hand and using it to touch his genitals.”
(As found here)

Erik Wayne Hughes

2017 - Former Mormon bishop pleads guilty to sexually abusing boys from his ward

"'[Hughes], at the time, was the victim’s LDS bishop, thereby occupying a position of special trust in relation to the victim,' charges state."
(As found here)

"Police reports state a now 18-year-old man told police in April that Hughes had drugged him and sexually assaulted him several times about three years ago.
Another man later came forward and reportedly told police Hughes had sexually abused him between 30 and 50 times.
Hughes also drugged the second man and sexually abused him in a hotel room, police reports state."
(As found here)

Edited for words.
Last edited by Zack Tacorin Dos on Sat May 11, 2019 7:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

deacon blues

Re: List of local LDS leaders that law enforcement thinks committed sex crimes – 1 indication youth interviews are not s

Post by deacon blues » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:29 am

Thanks, Zach. I signed the petition and I encourage others to.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Red Ryder

Re: List of local LDS leaders that law enforcement thinks committed sex crimes – 1 indication youth interviews are not s

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:35 am

Let's not forget about the Seminary Teachers.

Michael Pratt, Principal of LDS Seminary at Lone Peak High School
Pratt was charged with 15 felonies for a sexual relationship he had in 2009 with a 16-year-old seminary student at Lone Peak High School. The remainder of his charges were dismissed as part of the plea agreement.

Until his arrest, Pratt was principal of the Lone Peak High School LDS seminary, where the girl was a student. LDS Church spokeswoman Kim Farah said Pratt was terminated after the allegations surfaced.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

BriansThoughtMirror

Post by BriansThoughtMirror » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:53 am

Yikes, that's quite a list. I've only ever had good people as church leaders, but I acknowledge that this sort of thing can happen, and it's a real problem. I've signed the petition (even used my real name and location!).
Reflections From Brian's Brain
https://briansthoughtmirror.wordpress.com/

Zack Tacorin Dos

Post by Zack Tacorin Dos » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:07 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:35 am

Pratt was charged with 15 felonies for a sexual relationship he had in 2009 with a 16-year-old seminary student at Lone Peak High School. The remainder of his charges were dismissed as part of the plea agreement.

Until his arrest, Pratt was principal of the Lone Peak High School LDS seminary, where the girl was a student. LDS Church spokeswoman Kim Farah said Pratt was terminated after the allegations surfaced.
Just wow! We put these guys on a pedestal, teach people to give unquestioning deference to their leaders and teachers, and this is the ugly tip of the iceberg that can result. Thanks for sharing.

Zack Tacorin Dos

Post by Zack Tacorin Dos » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:11 am

BriansThoughtMirror wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:53 am
I've signed the petition (even used my real name and location!).
So should we be looking for Kurt Russell or Ego?

Seriously though, good for you. I signed it with real name and city too. But, I'm at a point where I wish I got some more of the stereotypical apostate treatment. If they want to try to call me to repentance on it, I say, bring it.

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:45 am

Thanks for the list. I have no doubt there are many, many more. Most bishops are indeed good upstanding men, but not all of them.

I can't tell you how disappointed I am that the petition has had so few signatures - I expect true believing members to mostly ignore the dangers, but disaffected and ex-members should know better. Until there are many times more signatures or a great deal more publicity, this policy isn't changing any time soon.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

alas

Post by alas » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:01 am

Not Buying It wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:45 am
Thanks for the list. I have no doubt there are many, many more. Most bishops are indeed good upstanding men, but not all of them.

I can't tell you how disappointed I am that the petition has had so few signatures - I expect true believing members to mostly ignore the dangers, but disaffected and ex-members should know better. Until there are many times more signatures or a great deal more publicity, this policy isn't changing any time soon.
I think the only thing that will change it is multiple law suits against the church by the people who are damaged by this policy. It was what made the Boy Scouts change to two deep leadership, and it will take hitting the church where it hurts, in the pocketbook, to change this.

Sorry to be such a cynic/realist, but personally I see this going exactly where petitions to give women priesthood go. The church sees this as a great way to keep member under their control, and they will not give it up no matter how many sign the petition. They don't care about teens being harmed as long as it does not hurt their bottom line.

I personally know two women who were molested by their bishop as young women. Neither ever reported or took the church to court over it, because they were too convinced it was their fault. "Good"church members do not sue the church anyway. So all the believing members that get molested or shamed by this policy will never do anything against "God's one true church."

Zack Tacorin Dos

Post by Zack Tacorin Dos » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:25 am

alas wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:01 am
Sorry to be such a cynic/realist, but personally I see this going exactly where petitions to give women priesthood go. The church sees this as a great way to keep member under their control, and they will not give it up no matter how many sign the petition. They don't care about teens being harmed as long as it does not hurt their bottom line.
Cynic? I don't think so. I think you're probably right at this point. Maybe the best we can hope for at this point is that the petition and some of the surrounding "agitation" will move a few parents to demand they be able to sit in on interviews, or a few teens will say "enough" and stop disclosing info the bish inappropriately asks for, or maybe a bishop or two will have a light bulb go on and stop teaching inappropriate boundaries, inappropriate deference to "authority, or inappropriate situations (grown man behind a closed door with a minor).
alas wrote:
I personally know two women who were molested by their bishop as young women. Neither ever reported or took the church to court over it, because they were too convinced it was their fault. "Good"church members do not sue the church anyway. So all the believing members that get molested or shamed by this policy will never do anything against "God's one true church."
A serious #MeToo movement from withing the LDS Church may be part of what it takes to stop this insanity. These examples you shared are so horrible. These women deserve so much better.

shadow

Post by shadow » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:57 am

Zack Tacorin Dos wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:07 am
Red Ryder wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:35 am

Just wow! We put these guys on a pedestal, teach people to give unquestioning deference to their leaders and teachers, and this is the ugly tip of the iceberg that can result. Thanks for sharing.
This guy taught at my seminary before he became the principal of the Lone Peak seminary. He was extremely well liked and very chummy with the students. That kind of stuff always rubbed me the wrong way, so I was glad that he was never my teacher. I saw this story a couple years ago, but never took my logic far enough to wonder if he victimized any of my classmates that didn't come forward. Or worse, tried to come forward, but were stifled by church leadership.
"Healing is impossible in loneliness; it is the opposite of loneliness. Conviviality is healing. To be healed we must come with all the other creates to the feast of Creation." --Wendell Berry

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:27 pm

Personally, i'd change the title of the thread to: SHORT List of local LDS leaders that law enforcement thinks committed sex crimes...

I believe that there are many folks like Alas mentions:
alas wrote:
And I also believe that there are many incidents that are reported to law enforcement that the church uses their team of lawyers and their $$$ to keep out of the media, and hidden from the general public.

Me? Cynical? Well, maybe just a little...
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Culper Jr.

Post by Culper Jr. » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:28 pm

Thanks man, this is awesome! I saw it over on ex-mo Reddit earlier. I'm saving this list for ammunition in case a leader protests any restrictions I place on interviewing my daughter.

Emower

Post by Emower » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:56 pm

alas wrote:
Not Buying It wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:45 am

I think the only thing that will change it is multiple law suits against the church by the people who are damaged by this policy. It was what made the Boy Scouts change to two deep leadership, and it will take hitting the church where it hurts, in the pocketbook, to change this.

I agree. Petitions do not affect the church. Bringing an increased focus to incidents and weird happenings will do more. Getting the SL trib in on it will be key. Perhaps the petition is how that may get going, but I dont think so.

Zack Tacorin Dos

Post by Zack Tacorin Dos » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:39 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:27 pm
Personally, i'd change the title of the thread . . .
Great point! Done.