Zina Huntington?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Rob4Hope

Zina Huntington?

Post by Rob4Hope » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:23 pm

Anyone got a link to this whole article,...or any info on it?
Consider this direct quote from Zina Huntington as she described romance in polygamy in an article published in New York World in 1869:

"[The successful polygamous wife] must regard her husband with indifference, and with no other feeling but reverence, for love we regard as false sentiment; a feeling which should have no existence in polygamy."

MerrieMiss

Re: Zina Huntington?

Post by MerrieMiss » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:08 pm

I'm not sure what you're looking for. Where did you get the quote you pasted?

The quote has been referenced numerous times. It is on page 108 in my copy of In Sacred Loneliness. Supposedly, it comes from an interview with Zina Diantha Huntington Jacobs Smith Young and published in The New York World, although I can't find it, having only used newspaperarchive.com.

There is a Dialogue article by Eugene England, also available on eugeneengland.org which uses the quote and references The New York World.
https://www.dialoguejournal.com/wp-cont ... N01_55.pdf

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:23 pm

I went out looking in the same source as you but was unable to find the quote.

If the quote is in the Compton book, that is a good start. I don't own that book,...yet.

I think I got the quote originally from a reddit site. Its interesting enough to me (and I think it has some credibility) that I wanted to find the first-hand source. Unable to do it so far cuz I can't find that dang newspaper article.

Brent

Post by Brent » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:40 pm

My Father in Law always told his headstrong daughters that "If you don't want to, you won't have to live polygamy." To which I would mumble under my breath "don't think it reads that way in the D&C"...

I don't understand at any level how women shared. Men simply wouldn't.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:42 am

Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:29 pm

Ayup. Romantic love is a privilege afforded the monogamous, and sometimes the polygamist man and his favorite wife. That's how they shared.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:43 am

Rob4Hope wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:23 pm
Consider this direct quote from Zina Huntington as she described romance in polygamy in an article published in New York World in 1869:

"[The successful polygamous wife] must regard her husband with indifference, and with no other feeling but reverence, for love we regard as false sentiment; a feeling which should have no existence in polygamy."
Yeah, early Mormons didn't believe in love in polygamous marriages, but they made darn well sure there was plenty of sex.

What a messed up system. Modern members should be ashamed of themselves for trying to defend it.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:09 am

Not Buying It wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:43 am
Rob4Hope wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:23 pm

Yeah, early Mormons didn't believe in love in polygamous marriages, but they made darn well sure there was plenty of sex.

What a messed up system. Modern members should be ashamed of themselves for trying to defend it.
The more I learn about this system, the more it makes no sense whatsoever. But, knowing that things were like this, it makes sense now why guys like SWK would say that any two people can make a marriage work if they follow the gospel.

Why would he say this?...because love has nothing to do with marriage (or so it seems this was the tradition from the early days). The only thing that matters is obedience to what you are told by the Leadership.

Pay and pray....you know?

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:46 pm

That woman sure had a lot of last names!