Moderators, hosting, and other admin

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
GoodBoy

Re: Moderators, hosting, and other admin

Post by GoodBoy » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:02 am

Red Ryder wrote:I'd like to get moderators in place by early next week, insert forum rules, and maybe add some requested functions such as tap a talk, a cancel button, a resource page (think Reddit sidebar), and maybe some other ideas.
And a donate button.
Always been the good kid, but I wanted to know more, and to find and test truth.

Mayan Elephant

Post by Mayan Elephant » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:40 pm

Hey cwald, looks like we got callings in the High Priest Group to unorganize not moving people after our home teaching isn't done.

That's perfect.

Mayan Elephant

Post by Mayan Elephant » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:44 pm

Good luck y'all.

I shared a few of my ideas over in the loud angry ditch we were in for a while. Shared some publicly and some privately.

I think this is going to be a good and fun and creative adventure.

Froggie

Post by Froggie » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:46 pm

IMO, 8 is way too many mods. That requires correlation to correlate, which is simply not efficient. My experience in moderating suggests that three is a very good number.

My name is Froggie. I am Female.

Big green hugs,

Froggie

Mayan Elephant

Post by Mayan Elephant » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:58 pm

Froggie wrote:IMO, 8 is way too many mods. That requires correlation to correlate, which is simply not efficient. My experience in moderating suggests that three is a very good number.

Big green hugs,

Froggie
Yep. 3 is best. 5 may work.

I would go with 3 mods and 2 folks that are not moderators but keep the keys on the outside to collectively restore or back things up.

That's not a jab or criticism by the way. While Froggie may be looking at this from a collaboration of correlation point of view, I am looking at it from a user and new user perspective.

When one feels like they are up against a HUGE group of OG insiders and a fortress of moderating it is daunting for some people. Not me. But I try and see it from others views too.

Here is a suggestion. Instead of having 8 or 12 moderators, have 3 and rotate them out after 4 or 6 months. Has anyone tried that?

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:16 pm

Mayan Elephant wrote:Here is a suggestion. Instead of having 8 or 12 moderators, have 3 and rotate them out after 4 or 6 months. Has anyone tried that?
I have not tried that, but I am just making it up as I go along, after. I think we will aim for fewer moderators with your suggestions in mind.

Mayan Elephant

Post by Mayan Elephant » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:26 pm

GoodBoy wrote:
Red Ryder wrote:I'd like to get moderators in place by early next week, insert forum rules, and maybe add some requested functions such as tap a talk, a cancel button, a resource page (think Reddit sidebar), and maybe some other ideas.
And a donate button.
I addressed this privately with another member but I will say it here too. With a clean slate, I suggest zero tolerance for links to anything that is for sale or accepts donations.

I realize this post is about donations to the forum. I am not confusing them. That is the exception I would make.

Allowing links or posts with references to donations or stuff for sale is a slippery slippery slippery slope. It's one best avoided from the get-go where possible. The zero tolerance for selling or advertising does not prevent people from participating. It also levels the field, so to speak, without creating a proprietor class within the forum.

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:17 pm

Mayan Elephant wrote:
GoodBoy wrote:
And a donate button.
I addressed this privately with another member but I will say it here too. With a clean slate, I suggest zero tolerance for links to anything that is for sale or accepts donations.

I realize this post is about donations to the forum. I am not confusing them. That is the exception I would make.

Allowing links or posts with references to donations or stuff for sale is a slippery slippery slippery slope. It's one best avoided from the get-go where possible. The zero tolerance for selling or advertising does not prevent people from participating. It also levels the field, so to speak, without creating a proprietor class within the forum.
I have some ancient Egyptian papyrus that might interest you? No.... hmmm what about these strange looking hieroglyphics that are on ax heads?

What about this letter that mentions something about a salamander? Also I have a large variety of documents from the early 1800's.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

SeeNoEvil

Post by SeeNoEvil » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:47 pm

Mayan Elephant wrote:
GoodBoy wrote:
And a donate button.

Would this include selling of temple signs and tokens?
Last edited by SeeNoEvil on Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Every event that has taken place in this universe has led you to this moment.
... The real question is, what will you do with this moment?" - Unknown

"Never arrive @ a point where you know everything - Korihor57

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:57 pm

SeeNoEvil wrote:Would this including selling of temple signs and tokens?
Cash only, and you don't know me. If you tell anyone where you bought these from you can expect a late night visit that won't be pleasant. They will probably bring cookies, maybe even lasagna.

Why do you keep doing that throat slashing thing?

Whatever, Lets shake hands on it and close this deal. Wait, what the hell are doing with your finger, that's not how you shake hands...
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

SeeNoEvil

Post by SeeNoEvil » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:09 pm

Korihor wrote:
Cash only, and you don't know me. If you tell anyone where you bought these from you can expect a late night visit that won't be pleasant. They will probably bring cookies, maybe even lasagna.

Whatever, Lets shake hands on it and close this deal. Wait, what the hell are doing with your finger, that's not how you shake hands...
Sorry I just couldn't help myself.... just following the prophet
"Every event that has taken place in this universe has led you to this moment.
... The real question is, what will you do with this moment?" - Unknown

"Never arrive @ a point where you know everything - Korihor57

Mayan Elephant

Post by Mayan Elephant » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:13 pm

Korihor wrote:

If one were to close this deal with you, at what level would they be buying/selling/entering. Typically these transactions require multiple levels, yes?

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:03 pm

Froggie wrote:IMO, 8 is way too many mods. That requires correlation to correlate, which is simply not efficient. My experience in moderating suggests that three is a very good number.

Big green hugs,

Froggie
Hi Froggie, glad you found us!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:05 pm

Mayan Elephant wrote:Hey cwald, looks like we got callings in the High Priest Group to unorganize not moving people after our home teaching isn't done.

That's perfect.
ME, what kind of ransom does Cwald have to pay to get his face back?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

trophywife26.2

Post by trophywife26.2 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:25 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
trophywife26.2 wrote:I just vote that we have equal representation of male:female moderators as much as possible with those who are available, willing, and would do a good job with it. I'm willing to be a moderator if need be.
Respectfully asking here... Trophy can you explain your feelings on this? Anyone else please comment as well.
/quote]

My feelings are mainly that often within Mormonism part of the unpacking of our beliefs can involve unpacking gender roles and what they mean to us, especially for women. I felt that women were well represented in the moderators on original NOM with alas, agnosticmormon, and at least one other but the screen name is escaping me. Jeffret was always sensitive to gender issues as well.

Sometimes gender related discussions can get quite heated. Sometimes when women talk about feeling like they've been damaged by "patriarchy" men can often hear that we are saying we've been damaged by men or that men have intentionally put themselves above us. When women criticize patriarchy it's easy for men to feel like the gender of men is being criticized/attacked rather than the system of hierarchy being criticized.

I think an important thing to remember in all of these conversations is it's never a competition between men and women about who has it worse in the church or who has been damaged by the church, but giving each other space to validate the separate journeys and struggles. I think it will be hard for women to feel validated/safe if there's not a woman to go to when they feel things have been said that make them feel unwelcome.

I know there were some really intense conversations on the old NOM about things like sexual abuse, misogyny, rape culture, OW movement, the church's position on stay at home moms vs. working moms, etc. Exmo reddit has gotten so intense the women created a private subforum. In general NOM has always been a safer gentler space than reddit. I hope it will always stay that way. I respect that people can go through a faith transition and not change their gender role views. I'm not here to turn every NOMer into a rabid feminist or have identical ideals to mine, I just want to see a balance so NOM doesn't become a space women no longer want to come.

Women are 50% of the world so it follows that 50% of leaders should ideally be female. NOM make up may not be 50% female, but I have seen a number of our old female posters: Enough, alas, glass shelf, allieoop, starbucksmom, silver girl, merrie miss, etc. I'm not hung up on the number 50% just making sure this doesn't become an unintentionally male dominated space.
Even if it's something disappointing, it's still better to know the truth. Because people can deal with disappointment. And once they've done that, they can feel that they have really grown. And that can be such a good feeling. -Fred Rogers

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:29 pm

Corsair wrote:
I have these items on my To Do list
Is the standard search feature on that To Do list?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:46 am

moksha wrote:Is the standard search feature on that To Do list?
There is a search function under the "Quick Links" menu on the upper left. Is there a different search function you need?

Mayan Elephant

Post by Mayan Elephant » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:58 am

Hagoth wrote:
Mayan Elephant wrote:Hey cwald, looks like we got callings in the High Priest Group to unorganize not moving people after our home teaching isn't done.

That's perfect.
ME, what kind of ransom does Cwald have to pay to get his face back?
He has to do a road trip to Cool, CA.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:20 am

Corsair wrote:
moksha wrote:Is the standard search feature on that To Do list?
There is a search function under the "Quick Links" menu on the upper left. Is there a different search function you need?
I don't suppose so, now that I know it exists.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

crazyhamster

Post by crazyhamster » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:50 am

I'm not able to send PMs yet, but I just wanted to add that I'll offer to be of help if I can. I'm a co-administrator on another board (not church related) and my experience is that it's of great benefit to have a number of administrators - we have 4 and that works well, since there are times when even more than one person might not be available. If you are interested, I might have a number of suggestions based on what has worked well for us on that other board.

For the same reason, it's good to have a decent pool of moderators. Not everyone is available at all times. One thing that helps moderators immensely is for people to use the "Report Post" option rather than engaging someone directly. It lets the moderators know much faster if there's an issue that needs to be addressed, and it keeps the cleanup on the thread much easier.