Wendy Watson Nelson - New 1st Lady of Mormonism

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Corsair

Re: Wendy Watson Nelson - New 1st Lady of Mormonism

Post by Corsair » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:11 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:04 pm
RMN remains the prophet until his death in November 2020. An autopsy is performed and the cause of death is listed as choking on funeral potatoes. Suspicions loom large over Wendy, the Bednars, and Elder Rasband. Investigators search their recipe boxes and interview family and friends who confirm none of the above mentioned suspects could actually cook.

Sister Bednar then becomes Prophetess of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. She calls Wendy as First Counselor, and her husband David as 2nd Counselor. Mormons everywhere rejoice in the One True Church and the blessings of Revelation.
Send this idea to the "Da Vinci Code" author, Dan Brown. It's a brand new level of conspiracy in another One True Church. The modern incarnation of Pagan Priestess-hood descends upon Provo wearing pastel polyester to pulverize the patriarchy!

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:46 pm

This does make me think that Wendy Nelson is a possible wild card in the Nelson administration. We haven't seen an age gap this large between prophet and his wife since the days of Brigham Young and Lorenzo Snow. While that wasn't necessarily meant to be funny, consider that wives of the prophets were largely unknown before or during the leadership administration of their husbands. For the first time we have the First Lady of Mormonism be someone who is young and energetic enough to be a bit more outspoken.

Wendy has no children to temper an outspoken mother. Other families of the general authorities have children working at the COB or attending BYU or teaching at BYU. Wendy has no nepotism to endanger when promoting "GOMI" or "Not Even Once". Her life up through her marriage to Russell Nelson was focused on career, not family. Granted, she still looks at Russell as the head of the house, but she can naturally have more enthusiasm for being a much more activist figure within the LDS world.

Let's be clear that I am shooting from the hip with this idea. I don't know what "Aunt Wendy" will do and perhaps she will simply be the quiet wife of the prophet for a couple of years while Uncle Russell leads the church. But it leads me to keep an eye on her. She has the means and opportunity to redefine the role of "wife of the prophet" more than anyone else since Eliza R. Snow and Emma Smith.

oliver_denom

Post by oliver_denom » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:31 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:25 pm
MoPag wrote:Should Sherrie and Wendy's cute couple name be Shendy, or Werrie? :?:
Close. It's a secret combination of their new names received in the temple. It's too sacred to say over the internet but who cares right?

It's "Naomucy".

Naomi and Lucy.
You're really missing a great opportunity here... Wendy Dew. When they become apostles, you could even write it Wen D. Dew. You say it with same cadence as Whoop-de-doo.

I mean, you guys can go either way, but I'm personally team Wendy Dew.
“You want to know something? We are still in the Dark Ages. The Dark Ages--they haven't ended yet.” - Vonnegut

L'enfer, c'est les autres - JP

trophywife26.2

Post by trophywife26.2 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:06 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:04 pm
Ok, ok, I see all of your POV's and concerns but what dynamics are at play here?

Here's my thoughts:

The 15 ladies in the Apostles Wife Club get sick and tired of being invisible home makers. They make plans. Starting with many years ago, when they found and recruited Wendy, introduced her to RMN knowing he would fall for her contagious smile, her GOMI standards, and her long underwear. It worked!

They get married while she secretly stays in love with Sherri Dew in a faux lesbian relationship. She stays behind the scenes at first, slowly unleashing her presence with the cute and lovable "Not Even Once Club" pablum printed in the Friend Magazine.

From there she continues up the Mormon Doctrine Hierarchy and into God Ordained Marital Intimacy in order to capture the hearts and virgin minds of the unseasoned recently married young adults who are still trying to figure out sex.

Sounds familiar so far, right?

They say timing is everything. Monson passes away in January 2018. RMN becomes prophet at 93. The Apostles Wife Club has strategically placed their Women's Power in the hands of Aunt Wendy. Ironically, the first thing she does is start the pillow talk. No you perverts, not that kind of pillow talk. She begins to whisper nightly into RMN's good ear, "Ordain Women! Ordain Women! Ordain the Women!!" Every night this continues for two long years. Then an amazing thing happens. Yes folks, RMN starts to talk about revelation he has been given by the Spirit. Conveniently he subconsciously recognizes her soft spoken voice and mistakes it as The Spirit.

In the April 2020 Women's session of General Conference the camera pans in for a close up. He suddenly goes off script and announces that he's received revelation that Women will receive the Priesthood and that 6 women Apostles will be called to replace the 6 oldest male Apostles.

RMN remains the prophet until his death in November 2020. An autopsy is performed and the cause of death is listed as choking on funeral potatoes. Suspicions loom large over Wendy, the Bednars, and Elder Rasband. Investigators search their recipe boxes and interview family and friends who confirm none of the above mentioned suspects could actually cook.

Sister Bednar then becomes Prophetess of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. She calls Wendy as First Counselor, and her husband David as 2nd Counselor. Mormons everywhere rejoice in the One True Church and the blessings of Revelation.
RR You have got to find someone to pay you for this stuff you write. It's too good.
Even if it's something disappointing, it's still better to know the truth. Because people can deal with disappointment. And once they've done that, they can feel that they have really grown. And that can be such a good feeling. -Fred Rogers

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:57 am

One question I have is since Wendy is 69 and RDH is 93, he is likely only going to be around a few years at most. She will out live him by several decades baring some unforeseen circumstance. Will she be able to take care of herself once he kicks the bucket? Does the widow of a prophet get a stipend, or is she on her own?
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:11 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:57 am
One question I have is since Wendy is 69 and RDH is 93, he is likely only going to be around a few years at most. She will out live him by several decades baring some unforeseen circumstance. Will she be able to take care of herself once he kicks the bucket? Does the widow of a prophet get a stipend, or is she on her own?
She did just fine on her own before she married him, and if funds run low her buddy Sheri Dew can get her a book deal with Deseret Book.

Please don’t take that as an insinuation about a sexual relationship with her and her friend Sheri Dew - I actually find suggestions that they have a lesbian relationship pretty distasteful. For several reasons - I don’t really like to see relationships of any kind sexualized when there is no evidence they are anything other than platonic, there is no reason to think there is anything like that going on with them and no evidence for anything other than a friendship. And besides, those insinuations are generally intended as an insult, which is disrespectful to our lesbian friends. If they were in a relationship, it would be nothing to snicker about. If anything, it would be tragic they were brainwashed into a belief system that kept them apart if it were true.

Hate to be a killjoy, but I don’t like the insinuations of lesbianism between Wendy and Sheri. Hate me if you want about it.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:04 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Since she had her own career up until she was 57, and has continued to write books even after "retiring" and marrying the future profit, she better have her own funds to live off of; The Corporation better not pay her a salary.

Plus, Sheri is just a couple doors down the street, and still earning a good wage. Aunt Wendy and Aunt Sheri can be "roommates"/joint tennants and "take care" of each other...
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:59 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:04 pm
Just This Guy wrote:
Since she had her own career up until she was 57, and has continued to write books even after "retiring" and marrying the future profit, she better have her own funds to live off of; The Corporation better not pay her a salary.

Plus, Sheri is just a couple doors down the street, and still earning a good wage. Aunt Wendy and Aunt Sheri can be "roommates"/joint tennants and "take care" of each other...
The corp doesn't even give a stipend to the verbal auxiliary leaders. I bet she's SOL.

NewLight

Post by NewLight » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:37 am

Sorry, but Aunt Wendy kind of reminds me of Professor Dolores Umbridge from Harry Potter.

Random

Post by Random » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:51 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Will she be able to take care of herself once he kicks the bucket? Does the widow of a prophet get a stipend, or is she on her own?
Wouldn't she be eligible to have his social security? Last I knew, if you were married to someone for at least 10 years, when they died you could get ss benefits through them.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK