LGBT Question/Answer At The First Presidency Press Conference

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
AllieOop

LGBT Question/Answer At The First Presidency Press Conference

Post by AllieOop » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:19 pm

Has anyone else seen this clip? I missed the news conference, but saw this posted elsewhere. Is this really the best answer Pres. Nelson could give? He's quite awkward when not speaking from a prepared script (although he did seem to shift into his conference voice at one point). It's odd how Oaks takes over too.

And what the heck is Pres. Eyring doing? That mouth open weird look! If anyone watched the entire press conference, did he speak much at all?

This should take you right to where the question was asked:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1qL2aWgcJ0&t=2h5m10s
"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

azflyer

Re: LGBT Question/Answer At The First Presidency Press Conference

Post by azflyer » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:22 pm

The look on Eyring's face when he's staring off into space is just creepy, and I like him.

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:30 pm

azflyer wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:22 pm
The look on Eyring's face when he's staring off into space is just creepy, and I like him.
I heard someone say that they wondered if he was drugged because of the way he kept staring with his mouth open. Is he not well?

If not, this makes it even stranger that he was retained as a counselor but not Elder Uchtdorf (who is in excellent physical condition). Pres. Nelson must have really not wanted him to stay in as his counselor.

And, he definitely wanted Oaks right by his side as he did move Eyring to second counselor. All kind of odd and makes me wish I could have been a fly on the wall to see what was going on behind the scenes!
"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

no1saint

Post by no1saint » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:09 am

Clearly Nelson needs a handler already. I forswe a very short Presidency, which makes sense for Oaks to be in the FP given he needs to know how to govern, probably within 5 years or less.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:01 am

I think Erying was surprised by the question.

Like, daaaaamn! Did he just go there? Then a juvenile smirk came over him that he couldn't quite hold back resulting in the deer in the headlights look in question.

These are guys who don't have a clue what it's like to live in the real world post 1960.

It's embarrassing.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:40 am

Eyering looks like a muppet.

I can't stand watching...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:02 pm

Wow, that was the worst non-answer of all time.

Q: President Nelson, what did you eat for lunch?
A: God has placed food in abundance upon the earth. There seem to be times when we eat and maybe times when we should not eat quite as much, but God loves us, so there's food, and it should be partaken in some manner that will make God pleased.

Did you notice the confused silence at the end when people couldn't tell whether the question had been answered?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Wonderment

Post by Wonderment » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:06 pm

A: God has placed food in abundance upon the earth. There seem to be times when we eat and maybe times when we should not eat quite as much, but God loves us, so there's food, and it should be partaken in some manner that will make God pleased.

Did you notice the confused silence at the end when people couldn't tell whether the question had been answered?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

This type of talking around the issue will not suffice for him, if the media presses him to elaborate. This reporter asking the question is very polite and respectful, but others might be less so. - Wndr.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:33 pm

Oh my...
I really had a hard time watching this. Not just because I'm a non-believer now, but it was just for the sheer number of cringe worthy moments in there. Erying's face! That big awkward silence when the moderator turns over the QnA time to RSM and they just sit there in silence for a few awkward seconds, but what felt like minutes. Although I will say this was not as bad as the Oaks/Ballard discussion prior to the last staged youth QnA; I'm still baffled as to how the COB PR dept let that embarrassing content out onto the WWW.

It's funny how they always use these backtracking follow up statements to almost everything they say. For example, when the guy from Mexico calls in and RMN says "We have a special love for the people of Mexico...as we do for the people everywhere." So first you tell them they are special, then you tell the everyone in the world they are also special; doesn't that make everyone really not so special?" They did the same thing with the question about the gay people. They first say that they love everyone and God loves everyone, but it's not God's plan to let you into Heaven if you are gay. Same thing when the question got thrown out: "And what about the women?" RMN: "I love them. I have a special place in my heart for women...I had nine daughters." And queue the Eyring emotions to further the placation about how we need their influence. And then put the women into their place with a good old D&C scripture. Ug...
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:47 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:33 pm
It's funny how they always use these backtracking follow up statements to almost everything they say. For example, when the guy from Mexico calls in and RMN says "We have a special love for the people of Mexico...as we do for the people everywhere." So first you tell them they are special, then you tell the everyone in the world they are also special; doesn't that make everyone really not so special?" They did the same thing with the question about the gay people. They first say that they love everyone and God loves everyone, but it's not God's plan to let you into Heaven if you are gay. Same thing when the question got thrown out: "And what about the women?" RMN: "I love them. I have a special place in my heart for women...I had nine daughters."
So true! I've watched more of the press conference now and it's like they gave the same answer to almost every question with just substituting in different words.

It reminds me of what my son and his friends would joke about when it came to sleeping through early morning seminary. If the teacher wakes you up asking you a questions, just answer "read the scriptures and pray about it" as that's the right answer to any question. :lol:

And members are just fawning over these guys and saying how wonderful and inspiring this press conference was!?

How about they answer these qyestions:

What did any of them say that was not just generic feel good babble? Was there anything said that any primary teacher doesn't teach to the children every week?

I felt like they were speaking to us like we were children!

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:54 pm

AllieOop wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:47 pm
I felt like they were speaking to us like we were children!
That statement sums up every conference talk ever given. Throw out a few scriptures, mingled with numerous platitudes and mundane stories, spun into something to make it look miraculous. For example: taking a wrong turn down a dirt road then making up a story that the Lord wanted it that way to teach some lesson...kill me now!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Jeffret

Post by Jeffret » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:04 pm

Wonderment wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:06 pm
This type of talking around the issue will not suffice for him, if the media presses him to elaborate. This reporter asking the question is very polite and respectful, but others might be less so. - Wndr.
Don't worry. I'm sure they won't let it happen again.
"Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
And the truth isn't what you want to see" (Charles Hart, "The Music of the Night")

Enough

Post by Enough » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:15 am

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:02 pm

But BEFORE that answer: “ I know your family/country.... I love You/your people! You are awesome and amazing!!!

What was the question again???”