Not Applicable

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Kishkumen

Not Applicable

Post by Kishkumen » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:42 am

I watched the announcement and press conference yesterday. We're all talking about it and speculating on what it all means, etc. Oliver had a great post that they need to update the roster with a new batting order, but nothing is really changing.

The wife and I discussed the announcement and press conference and discussed it briefly. It brought up lots of thoughts, emotions and few awkward cringes. However, my final thought was - It's not applicable to me. I don't care what they say or do, it doesn't apply.

Of course, I will likely find this stuff interesting for foreseeable future. I look forward to the day when I don't know any of the names in the Q15. But I feel asleep comfortable last night knowing I don't need to give a rats ass what they say or do.

I like to think that RMN is doing the best he can. Sure he's misguided and set in his ways, but I do sense a general concern for the well being of his little herd of sheeple. He's rather accomplished in his professional career, religious career and personal life. If he's 93 and knows the names of all his 116 great-grandchildren, he's doing better than most. He has much to be proud of. Good for him.

I can live the rest of my days in peace without someone else telling me what think God wants me to do, and I'm good with that. The mind tricks don't work on me anymore and the magician isn't updating his show. Moving on.

Hagoth

Re: Not Applicable

Post by Hagoth » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:10 pm

Kishkumen wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:42 am
I like to think that RMN is doing the best he can. Sure he's misguided and set in his ways, but I do sense a general concern for the well being of his little herd of sheeple. He's rather accomplished in his professional career, religious career and personal life. If he's 93 and knows the names of all his 116 great-grandchildren, he's doing better than most. He has much to be proud of. Good for him.
I'm really conflicted in how to feel about these guys. On one hand they are people who have floated to the top merely by not dying and are doing their best to keep an organization that they really care about working rather than retiring, and probably with the belief that it really is the best thing for people. On the other hand they are blatantly telling half-truths and taking the Lord's name in vain by allowing millions of people to believe that they speak for God while they marginalize part of their flock and watch silently as children are killing themselves as a consequence.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:58 pm

Kishkumen wrote:
However, my final thought was - It's not applicable to me. I don't care what they say or do, it doesn't apply.
Oh how I'd love to be able to "think" this, but unfortunately, Russell and his cronies have their meat-hooks embedded in the majority of my family, and those same cronies basically run the government in the state I live in, and have a pretty big influence on some adjoining states.

It will be a L_O_N_G time before I can state that the board of directors of LDS-Inc. have no influence on me, if ever...
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Linked

Post by Linked » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:27 pm

Sounds like a good place to be Kish, I'm glad you made it. I hope to join you one day.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:36 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:10 pm
Kishkumen wrote:
I'm really conflicted in how to feel about these guys. On one hand they are people who have floated to the top merely by not dying and are doing their best to keep an organization that they really care about working rather than retiring, and probably with the belief that it really is the best thing for people. On the other hand they are blatantly telling half-truths and taking the Lord's name in vain by allowing millions of people to believe that they speak for God while they marginalize part of their flock and watch silently as children are killing themselves as a consequence.
I’m not conflicted about them. They are charlatans and crooks, and have had to silence their consciences and compromise their integrity to get where they are. Given the choice between supporting the truth and supporting the organization of the Church, they have consistently chosen the latter, knowing full well their dishonesty in doing so. When Elder Anderson tells us to “Give Joseph a break”, he knows full well he is asking us to accept some pretty disgusting behavior on the part of Joseph - and he also knows he doesn’t really want most members to know what they are giving Joseph a break about in the first place. When President Uchtdorf says “Doubt your doubts”, he knows full well there are legitimate reasons for those doubts, and he furthermore knows he is telling you to dismiss those legitimate reasons out of hand. When Elder Holland pounds the pulpit and tells us the following about the Book of Mormon
For 179 years this book has been examined and attacked, denied and deconstructed, targeted and torn apart like perhaps no other book in modern religious history—perhaps like no other book in any religious history. And still it stands. Failed theories about its origins have been born and parroted and have died—from Ethan Smith to Solomon Spaulding to deranged paranoid to cunning genius. None of these frankly pathetic answers for this book has ever withstood examination because there is no other answer than the one Joseph gave as its young unlearned translator.
He knows darn well there are serious problems with the book and its origin story.

The Brethren consciously choose the path of deception and deceit. Sure, they were brainwashed, but so were most of us at one time, that’s no excuse. They rationalize to themselves that their deceptions and deceit are justified, but I for one am not letting them off the hook any more than I would Warren Jeffs.

The choose the Church over the truth, and for that choice they should be held accountable.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph