Is there a list?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
NOMinally Mormon

Is there a list?

Post by NOMinally Mormon » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:39 pm

Do bishoprics keep a list of eligible sacrament meeting speakers, or a list of banned speakers? I've been reminiscing over my church activity lately. I've been active most of my life, but am nonendowed. Before I married my current husband, I used to give talks in church. I've been married to him 10 years and have never been asked to speak during that time. My husband is rabidly antimormon and has made enemies with a few people in the ward. Also, I quit paying tithing when I married him because I could no longer afford it. Before I quit attending church, I kinda wished they would ask me to speak. Yeah, weird, I know. But I thought (and still think) that I had something to offer--as long as it wasn't on a stupid topic like prayer or reading scriptures. So I was wondering if being a full tithe payer was a prerequisite to speaking in sacrament meeting, and if they kept lists of who could be asked to give talks.

Red Ryder

Re: Is there a list?

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:08 pm

I think it's a personal hygiene thing. Kidding... Kidding...

I've only spoken in church about 5 times since my mission 20 years ago. I like to pretend I'm an introvert and once you say no a few times they get the hint. I'm also on that list of endowed members without a temple recommend so that also helps.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:48 am

I spent 6 years as a ward clerk in bishopric meetings where speakers were discussed. There is no formal list. It's mostly a question of who may have not spoken for a while and who would be willing. It's more of a popularity contest than a conspiracy to keep the malcontents from the podium. Speaking in sacrament meeting is a way to introduce someone to the ward and a way to put good content into sacrament meeting. If someone has sufficiently show that they don't really want to speak, then most bishoprics will eventually get the hint.

NOMinally Mormon

Post by NOMinally Mormon » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:01 pm

Funny, RR! I think my personal hygiene is OK, but maybe not my nontithepayer status, plus the popularity issue, given my association with my husband. It is standard to give sac. mtg talks shortly after moving into a new ward, and that's usually how it worked for me, but not since my marriage, which is why I thought there may be lists involved. Even as a single mom I was popular at church and gave talks, but not in the last 10 years. I do have some friends from church, though, just not ones who are decisionmakers. Another thing that was really weird, is that one of the gospel doctrine teachers used to totally ignore me. Like, he'd have everybody read a scripture, just going down the row, but when it came to me, he'd skip me and ask the next person. Never found out why that happened.

Snowdrop

Post by Snowdrop » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:13 pm

Sign me up!

Getting added to this list is complicated by having a preferred gospel doctrine teacher for a partner since our ward asks the husband if the couple can speak. :roll: We did get a new bishopric recently though, and for the first time ever I was asked and therefore able to politely decline the invitation to speak - it was a relief! DH gave his talk while I paid half attention from the pew.
I don't believe we were born to be sheep in a flock
To pantomime prayers with the hands of a clock
- Paul Simon