No Help From Mormon Bishops on Abuse

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
achilles

Re: No Help From Mormon Bishops on Abuse

Post by achilles » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:01 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:11 am
Everything seems to come back to tithing or polygamy. This seems to relate to both: culture of shame and silence, male domination and control, quiet wives not rocking the boat stay in church and continue to pay tithing.
I agree with the polygamy part. The "ghosts of polygamy" still haunt this church. The fact that D&C 132 is still canonized points directly to one indisputable fact about Mormon doctrine (at least in my mind): regarding the worth of souls, it takes multiple women to equal the worth of one man. And though the role of Mormon men in the after-life is well-modeled (by God, Jesus, the Brethren, etc.) the role of women is really reduced to carrying spirit children.

The great brotherhood of the priesthood is a good old boys club, and fellow priesthood holders will take the man's side if they see one of their outwardly pious brothers attacked by allegations of spousal or child abuse. So there's also that.

No matter how "benevolent" the sexism of the Church tries to be, it can't get away from the ghosts of its past. And I think this is one of the reasons why it is so difficult for women to believe rhetoric about how important they are (coming from the Brethren).

I can't believe I used to think D&C 132 was such profound, mystical doctrine. It's not. It's gross and sexist and needs to go in the trash bin of history.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

― Carl Sagan

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:10 pm

A deeply troubling article that was posted over on Reddit:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jimdalrympleii ... .ksn1eZx8a
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Jeffret

Post by Jeffret » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:26 pm

Not Buying It wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:10 pm

Harrowing? yes. Surprising? Definitely not. Especially if you've read any of the stories Sam Young has posted.
"Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
And the truth isn't what you want to see" (Charles Hart, "The Music of the Night")

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:33 pm

Jeffret wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:26 pm
Not Buying It wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:10 pm

Harrowing? yes. Surprising? Definitely not. Especially if you've read any of the stories Sam Young has posted.
I agree. Heartbreaking - but tragically not surprising.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph