New financial policy in Europe

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Meilingkie

New financial policy in Europe

Post by Meilingkie » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:04 am

Hello all,

So just today I was tipped off by a friend who is a wardclerk about a new system which is used now in Europe as a result of several cases of financial malpractice. Well, I have talked about one such case on the old NOM extensively.

Here are the details:
Per Oktober 23rd.
1. Bishops can no longer spend from the wardbudget at will.
2. Bishops can no longer use fast-offerings to help members directly.
3. Stakepresidents must sign off on every single expenditure.

How does this work in the real world.
A bishop has a member in need, normally he would send out the RSP with the member to buy groceries, and the receipts would be reimbursed to the RSP.
Or a bishop would pay from the ward-account the needy members rent/utilities/ect directly.
But a primary-president who pays in advance for goodies for the nursery also has to ho via the Bishop for re-imbursement, obviously.

All of these have been made impossible. The bishop needs to send a payment-request to the Area Financial Office in Milan.
There the payment-requests are collated weekly and sent to the Stakepresident.
The Stakepresident needs to sign off on these, after that OK has been sent to Milan the payments-requests will be processed.
If the SP has questions he can contact the bishop.

Needless to say that Milan is currently being swamped with payment-requests, with backlogs increasing every single day, and people not being served in time.

Some thoughts I have:
When the wardbudget for primary is gone and you have some expenses, no money will get refunded.
When your utilities must get paid immediately, the bishop has to pay out of his own pocket, without being certain he will get it refunded.

Well, I wonder what you think about it.
"Getting the Mormon out of the Church is easier than getting the Mormon out of the Ex-Mormon"

moksha

Re: New financial policy in Europe

Post by moksha » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:14 pm

Sounds like it is doomed to fail through an Orwellian bureaucracy and will ultimately cause members to leave the Church in frustration.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:24 pm

This is a genius move by the Church. Make a ton more rules to provide help, people will quickly stop asking for help when it becomes too cumbersome and slow. Then the church is still the hero for offering help. It's not the church's fault they didn't come back a 2nd time requesting assistance (when the first time took 2 weeks and the kids were hungry)
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

Meilingkie

Post by Meilingkie » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:33 pm

Oh, I forgot to mention, per January 1st next year you must pay tithing through what you´d call billpay.
And if you want to pay cash, you must pay for the privilege.
EUR 1,00 I believe, for the hassle.
"Getting the Mormon out of the Church is easier than getting the Mormon out of the Ex-Mormon"

NOMinally Mormon

Post by NOMinally Mormon » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:03 pm

Back when I lived in Denmark, tithing was done like that, but paying cash was still an option.

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:43 pm

Meilingkie wrote:Oh, I forgot to mention, per January 1st next year you must pay tithing through what you´d call billpay.
And if you want to pay cash, you must pay for the privilege.
EUR 1,00 I believe, for the hassle.
Cash is bitter sweet.
The good: No paper trail
The bad: No paper trail
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:47 am

Some bishops will probably tell the ward members to just pay cash to the Bishop for tithing and Fast offerings, and he will keep the money on hand. Tithing and Fast offering contributions will drop, but the Bishop will be able to help the people.
Some people may go shopping for a different church, too.
~2bizE

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:48 am

I wonder if this is an underhanded attempt to save money by the church. By having such heavy bureaucracy, they can increase the likely hood that a payment request will be rejected. They can use the excuse of improper paperwork or something, but in the end, the can limit how much money goes out. If they are already "struggling" financially this way they can control better how much money goes to the local wards, how much goes to the poor and needy so they can make sure they have enough available for the next real estate development project.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams