Polygamy Spun Out of Control

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
moksha

Polygamy Spun Out of Control

Post by moksha » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:45 pm

The former child bride has come forward with her story as part of A&E’s documentary “Warren Jeffs: Prophet of Evil.” The special explores how the now-imprisoned cult leader ruled over an estimated 15,000 followers of the polygamous Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (FLDS).

The 62-year-old is said to have had 78 wives, more than 50 children.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment ... r-BBJjWqZ?
The best I can make out, the more a religious leader is able to indulge their sexual fantasies in within the context of religion, the more outrageous their indulgences will become. Showing Jeff's sexual practices might send A&E's ratings through the roof but would also lead to outrage from both the public and advertising sponsors. Even the adult channels would run afoul of laws protecting minors if these group sex acts were broadcast. The only personage granting carte blanc approval would be that Angel with the drawn sword.

Your thoughts?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

2bizE

Re: Polygamy Spun Out of Control

Post by 2bizE » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:37 am

My thoughts are if it were not for a few brave people speaking out against polygamy in the 1800s, many of us would be polygamist. If it were not for external pressure, there would be no manifesto. We might be sneaking around like coyotes visiting our various wives....
~2bizE

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:40 am

I have a great-great-grandfather who was born in 1889 and I got to know him when he was in his 80s and 90s. I parked my bicycle at his house for school since he lived across the street from my junior high school. He was a surprisingly healthy guy until he passed away at age 95. At some point in his early life he clearly had to make the decision to not be a polygamist. His wife was the daughter of a prominent polygamist down in the Mexico colonies and I'm simply glad that their descendants decided to follow Heber J. Grant and not John Wooley, Rulon Jeffs, or John W. Taylor. Otherwise, my exit from the "church" would have been far more dramatic.

MerrieMiss

Post by MerrieMiss » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:00 pm

Corsair wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:40 am
...I'm simply glad that their descendants decided to follow Heber J. Grant and not John Wooley, Rulon Jeffs, or John W. Taylor.
Whenever I get irritated at my ancestors for following Joseph Smith and then Brigham Young to Utah, I always remind myself that at least they stopped there. Ignoring the manifesto would have been so much worse.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:00 pm

Just another reminder that you just might be a false prophet if God wants you to have sex with all the same children and teenagers that you want to have sex with.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:44 am

MerrieMiss wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:00 pm
Corsair wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:40 am
...I'm simply glad that their descendants decided to follow Heber J. Grant and not John Wooley, Rulon Jeffs, or John W. Taylor.
Whenever I get irritated at my ancestors for following Joseph Smith and then Brigham Young to Utah, I always remind myself that at least they stopped there. Ignoring the manifesto would have been so much worse.
That is a really good way of looking at things. I used to watch the show Escaping Polygamy. Talk about crazy sh*t to recover from.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound