Church Security

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
2bizE

Church Security

Post by 2bizE » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:29 pm

What kind of security is put in place for the new church president and FP, Q12?
There are a lot of crazies out there, especially evident in the Florida high school shooting.
In your wards and stakes, are there some types of security measures to protect us in the pews?
~2bizE

wtfluff

Re: Church Security

Post by wtfluff » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:44 pm

2bizE wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:29 pm
In your wards and stakes, are there some types of security measures to protect us in the pews?
You're more likely to die in a car accident driving to sit in the pews than you are likely to be shot by one of the "crazies" while you sit on the pew.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:02 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:44 pm
2bizE wrote:
You're more likely to die in a car accident driving to sit in the pews than you are likely to be shot by one of the "crazies" while you sit on the pew.
You're more likely to get bored to death in the pews!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:59 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:02 pm
wtfluff wrote:
2bizE wrote:
Yeah. That too.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:06 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:02 pm
Maybe Jim Morrison was thinking about church when he came up with the line that ended up as the title of his biography.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:10 am

2bizE wrote:What kind of security is put in place for the new church president and FP, Q12?
There are a lot of crazies out there, especially evident in the Florida high school shooting.
The church hires retired federal agents and cops as security for the big 3/12 when they are in what they consider high threat areas or situations. Other GAs have the option to have a guy tag along when they travel and some use them and some don't. This all came about after the ETB bomb threat dude rushed the stage. It's my understanding that every general conference, the first several rows have suit wearing security dudes with gats in their waist bands blending in with all the other suit wearing bald fat mormons.

Source: retired cop that works for church security.

I would also bet money there is a sniper team in one of the upper deck rooms in the conference center but that is my own speculation.

We also know the FP bought a half million dollar up armored audi that Pres. Monson was riding in for the last days of 47 parade flanked by the "shoot me" vest wearing guns for hire.

Regarding the wards and stakes, the only protection you have is your own wits and if you happen to have any cops or feds that carry guns to church. Sit near exits.

Random

Post by Random » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:56 am

2bizE wrote:
What kind of security is put in place for the new church president and FP, Q12?
I guess they leave it up to God to protect us. For our safety, it's "in God we trust" and for theirs it's "in these trained men and their weapons that we trust." I guess we can't have a martyr dying for his belief like prophets of old did? (I mean, Daniel, and Abinadi, all those guys in the Book of Mormon, Old and New Testaments really weren't thinking right when they let people throw them into lions' dens, burn them alive, and kill them in all manner of ways.)

Seriously, though, that is the hugest thing to me that shows me they are no prophets. Real prophets are willing to die for what they teach. False ones hire bodyguards and are careful who they let near them. What does that say about Joseph, who had bodyguards? I'm sure I do not know, but I do know he was killed anyway.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:06 pm

Has anyone heard of any EQs standing guard with ARs and AKs during church services to protect the friendlies? Could probably happen in rural Idaho, AZ, WY, or UT
~2bizE

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:19 pm

2bizE wrote:Has anyone heard of any EQs standing guard with ARs and AKs during church services to protect the friendlies? Could probably happen in rural Idaho, AZ, WY, or UT
Church handbook policy would prevent this from happening on a sanctioned basis. Nothing to prevent anyone from sitting armed in their car in the parking lot though. But as mentioned, statistics make heart disease your more likely killer.

https://ourworldindata.org/what-does-the-world-die-from

ulmite

Post by ulmite » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:37 pm

In my (European) country, due to terror attacks at some point we received directives to have someone stand guard at the front door of the building. Since Europe has realized that if the only people with guns are hunters shooting wild boar with hunting rifles, fewer people get shot, there are no guns involved. Also no terrorists, probably because they don't care about or rather don't know about mormonism. All we have are random priesthood holders who get assigned an hour of guard duty (sitting on a chair next to the door, chatting with people in the foyer).
(As a terrorist I would have a hard time deciding whether to be more scared of an 80-year-old high priest with a cane or a deacon who looks like he's 9 years old)

Raylan Givens

Post by Raylan Givens » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:37 pm

I can't blame them. If I was high profile enough and had random scary things said about me, I would hire the biggest most devoted ex-military guy.

Jesus had his twelve body guards with him, he also had a version of the CIA letting him know when the heat was on. Still got him in the end, buy he gave himself up willingly- mostly.

I wouldn't mind that job, travel to cool places, eat lots of funeral potatoes, occasionally hang out in nice cabins and houses, maybe ride on a boat or two.
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens

Kishkumen

Post by Kishkumen » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:52 pm

wtfluff wrote:
2bizE wrote:
I dunno, my final few weeks of regular attendance had a high probability that I might start punching people.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:59 pm

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:52 pm
wtfluff wrote:
2bizE wrote:
I dunno, my final few weeks of regular attendance had a high probability that I might start punching people.
Ha!

I don't doubt that you wanted to start punching people, but be honest and tell us what the actual likelihood of that happening was? When was the last time you actually punched someone in anger?

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Kishkumen

Post by Kishkumen » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:04 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:59 pm
Kishkumen wrote:
wtfluff wrote:

Ha!

I don't doubt that you wanted to start punching people, but be honest and tell us what the actual likelihood of that happening was? When was the last time you actually punched someone in anger?
The last time I punched someone in anger? Probably when I was young and fighting with my siblings.

OK, so you called me on my statement. The likelihood of me actually hitting someone was low. However, there were a few I wanted to punch. All things have a probability and that probability increased the final weeks/months compared to my TBM days.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:27 pm

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:04 pm
wtfluff wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:59 pm
Kishkumen wrote:
Ha!

The last time I punched someone in anger? Probably when I was young and fighting with my siblings.

OK, so you called me on my statement. The likelihood of me actually hitting someone was low. However, there were a few I wanted to punch. All things have a probability and that probability increased the final weeks/months compared to my TBM days.
Whew!

Glad you got out before the SNAP!

It's a good thing that most humans never actually reach that breaking-point...

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:35 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Excellent point. Just remember some of those pew sitters are concealed carry permitters, so just don't sit in one of the pews they have reserved. "It profits not a man to be blown away by an irate Saint."
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha