Apostle Photo Op with Family of Shooting Victim

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Not Buying It

Apostle Photo Op with Family of Shooting Victim

Post by Not Buying It » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:35 pm

Am I the only one who finds it a little tacky that this apostle wanted a photo op with a grieving family? See the link below:

https://www.lds.org/church/news/shootin ... n?lang=eng
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Mormorrisey

Re: Apostle Photo Op with Family of Shooting Victim

Post by Mormorrisey » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:50 pm

Yeah, I would tend to agree that this is a little unseemly.

To me, what's even worse is the message from Oaks in a conference a while ago, where God can grant protection to some, like missionaries in the Brussels explosion. So where was God for this poor kid? Why didn't he protect her? Isn't even more unseemly for an apostle to visit this family, when another apostle, now in the first presidency, says that God protects the righteous? Are they not righteous enough? I hated that message then, and seeing this makes me hate it even more. Surely instead of a PR move they could just let this poor family grieve in peace.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:28 pm

Mormorrisey wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:50 pm
Yeah, I would tend to agree that this is a little unseemly.

To me, what's even worse is the message from Oaks in a conference a while ago, where God can grant protection to some, like missionaries in the Brussels explosion. So where was God for this poor kid? Why didn't he protect her? Isn't even more unseemly for an apostle to visit this family, when another apostle, now in the first presidency, says that God protects the righteous? Are they not righteous enough? I hated that message then, and seeing this makes me hate it even more. Surely instead of a PR move they could just let this poor family grieve in peace.
Oh, I agree completely. Every Fast Sunday I see people get up and get all emotional about little things God did for them - but how hard would it have been for God to arrange for her to not be one of the 17 kids killed that day? The God of Lost Car Keys must’ve been distracted that day. This is why lost car keys stories make me sick to my stomach.

Besides, in the words of Ricky Gervais:
What can be more arrogant than believing that the same God who didn’t stop the holocaust will help you pass your driving test?”
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

FoundMyOwnWay

Post by FoundMyOwnWay » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:56 pm

Right now good or bad lots of organizations are getting air time with these kids. As long as these people are there for support of the victims, their families, and their community then I think there support is warmly welcomed. But do I think the church sent this apostle down there just for PR reasons, I don't know maybe they did maybe they didn't?