Mission Call

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
azflyer

Mission Call

Post by azflyer » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:26 am

I am the oldest of 10 children. Last night, my youngest brother opened his mission call. There were at least 75 people there to watch him open and read his call. He was so incredibly excited. It was everything he could do to keep from crying as he read his call. I could feel his happiness exuding. It was a really wonderful experience.

Watching him open his call caused me to reflect back on my experience of opening my mission call and the joy and elation I felt on that day. Unfortunately, it's also caused some sadness to creep in as I realize I don't feel that way anymore. I still hold on to some semblance of belief, but it is certainly unconventional by mormon standards. I still have a temple recommend, in fact, I had my TR interview today. I answered all of the questions appropriately, but I know the interviewer and I were interpreting those questions quite differently.

I want so bad to stay a part of this church even though I don't hold to a conventional or orthodox belief. Why can't I just be happy for my brother that he is happy? Why can't people just accept that I believe in a different way than they do? Why is it that I can't even talk to the people that I love most about the different perspective that I have now?
Last edited by azflyer on Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeffret

Re: Mission Call

Post by Jeffret » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:47 am

azflyer wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:26 am
I still hold on to some semblance of belief, but it is certainly unconventional by moron standards.
I don't think that's quite what you meant.
"Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
And the truth isn't what you want to see" (Charles Hart, "The Music of the Night")

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:49 am

azflyer wrote:
I still hold on to some semblance of belief, but it is certainly unconventional by moron standards.
Freudian slip?

Congrats to your brother. I think it's important to remember we all had similar experiences and to be happy for those we love.

I do miss a certain level of innocence that has been lost with my awakening. I've gain more than I've lost but nonetheless I still often mourn that loss.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

azflyer

Post by azflyer » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:48 pm

Jeffret wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:47 am
azflyer wrote:
I don't think that's quite what you meant.
Thank you. I fixed it... :shock:

No Tof

Post by No Tof » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:49 am

azflyer wrote:
I am the oldest of 10 children. Last night, my youngest brother opened his mission call. There were at least 75 people there to watch him open and read his call. He was so incredibly excited. It was everything he could do to keep from crying as he read his call. I could feel his happiness exuding. It was a really wonderful experience.

Watching him open his call caused me to reflect back on my experience of opening my mission call and the joy and elation I felt on that day. Unfortunately, it's also caused some sadness to creep in as I realize I don't feel that way anymore.

I want so bad to stay a part of this church even though I don't hold to a conventional or orthodox belief. Why can't I just be happy for my brother
Sounds like you have a nice family. (10..... wow).

I would love to know more why you feel you can't stay a part of the church with unorthodox belief. You are a card holding temple "worthy" member. In practical terms you're no different then many of the others sitting on your pew at SM. Everyone assumes the others are doing the whole enchilada when in reality everyone has their issues.

Now my burning question is of course, where is your brother going?
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there.
Rumi

azflyer

Post by azflyer » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:00 pm

No Tof wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:49 am
I would love to know more why you feel you can't stay a part of the church with unorthodox belief. You are a card holding temple "worthy" member. In practical terms you're no different then many of the others sitting on your pew at SM. Everyone assumes the others are doing the whole enchilada when in reality everyone has their issues.
I can stay part of the church with unorthodox beliefs. It's just not easy and it's certainly not always comfortable. It would be really nice if we could all just talk about the fact that we view things differently and be open about it, but that is probably an unrealistic fantasy of mine. This is also probably my own personal hang up. I've already predetermined the way I think people will react, before I give them the opportunity to react.

Wonderment

Post by Wonderment » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:34 pm

:) :) :) Excellent post, AZ, and hopefully someday, Mormons will be more tolerant and accepting of the free agency of others to believe according to the dictates of their own conscience and their own reasoning.

And the question we all would like to ask is:

Where is your brother called to serve ? :D -- Wndr.

azflyer

Post by azflyer » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:54 pm

As of late, I've been more conscious about sharing too much information about myself online. If you are really that interested, please PM me and I'll let you know where he's going.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:18 pm

azflyer wrote:
Last night, my youngest brother opened his mission call. There were at least 75 people there to watch him open and read his call.
On another note: This whole culture surrounding the way kids "open" mission calls nowadays is W E I R D.

OK, maybe it's only weird compared to the way us old-fogies used to do it when we were 19/21 years of age...
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

azflyer

Post by azflyer » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:35 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:18 pm
azflyer wrote:
Last night, my youngest brother opened his mission call. There were at least 75 people there to watch him open and read his call.
On another note: This whole culture surrounding the way kids "open" mission calls nowadays is W E I R D.

OK, maybe it's only weird compared to the way us old-fogies used to do it when we were 19/21 years of age...
Ya, that was certainly different. I definitely didn't do it that way. Did I mention that he live streamed it on social media???? :shock:

I will say, that it was pretty awesome though. He was surrounded by people that love him and support him. They were all cheering when he read where he was going.

Wonderment

Post by Wonderment » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:40 pm

As of late, I've been more conscious about sharing too much information about myself online. If you are really that interested, please PM me and I'll let you know where he's going.

It's not an issue at all. Just trying to make conversation - I do apologize. - Wndr.

Unendowed

Post by Unendowed » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:15 am

wtfluff wrote:
azflyer wrote:

I have to agree. These mission call opening ceremonies have gotten out of hand. These kids have enough pressure to go on missions and these events only add more pressure. In a social media obsessed generation, having a good mission call opening video to post is very important to these kids.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:21 am

Unendowed wrote:
wtfluff wrote:
azflyer wrote:

I have to agree. These mission call opening ceremonies have gotten out of hand. These kids have enough pressure to go on missions and these events only add more pressure. In a social media obsessed generation, having a good mission call opening video to post is very important to these kids.
I think this is partially a result of Packer eliminating the time honored tradition of missionary farewell sacrament meetings followed by tiny sandwhich receptions, shifting the celebration to the call opening instead.

Dravin

Post by Dravin » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:51 am

azflyer wrote:
Why can't people just accept that I believe in a different way than they do? Why is it that I can't even talk to the people that I love most about the different perspective that I have now?
Because Mormonism is lead by some very conservative men who insist on orthodoxy. You may find some oasis wards (or individuals) here or there where heterodoxy is treated fairly benignly but big tent Mormonism will require a change at the helm and the way the leaders are chosen selects for conservative orthodox individuals. Even Uchtdorf who by some is considered a breath of fresh air is only heterodox in the context of the extreme orthodoxy of his comrades in the big red chairs.

It is one of the tragedies of Mormonism, it alienates even those who want to stay if they won't squeeze themselves into the mold.
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:04 am

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:21 am
Unendowed wrote:
wtfluff wrote:

I think this is partially a result of Packer eliminating the time honored tradition of missionary farewell sacrament meetings followed by tiny sandwhich receptions, shifting the celebration to the call opening instead.
I don't know about the "farewell" connection.

The weird part for me (old-fogy) is that the males get their calls while they are still in high-school (which is one of the reasons for the big party, as they're still at home) and then many of them will actually leave for the MTC within days of graduating.

I did a year of school before the two-years-indentured-servitude. I got my call, and basically opened it alone, called my parents and told them where I would be serving my sentence, told a couple of roommates, and a few friends I had met at school. I couldn't have a big party with home-town high-school friends and family, because none of them were around. Being from a smallish town, most of my friends had moved on and attempted to get some real-life "adult" experience before being sentenced.

And yes, of course, the inter-webs has changed literally everything about our lives at this point, not just mission-call parties.

Weird, weird, weird...
Last edited by wtfluff on Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:16 pm

I tend to see missions as a colossal waste of time and money. But I don't doubt a couple of good effects that do come from the experience. Seeing a new place, learning a language, living a somewhat ascetic lifestyle, and living away from home are all reasonably good things that I can still appreciate when I see bright eyed young Mormons open their mission call.

There are horror stories of mission presidents putting young missionaries into actual danger due to negligence of health issues and sending naive American missionaries into areas where they probably should not go. This might be Brazilan favelas, unfriendly parts of Africa, and the entire country of Russia, for example. For family members and close friends, I want to be able to say something to them as they depart so they somehow know that if faith transition doubts arise, they know they can contact me. If they think they are in danger to health or life, I want them to know they can contact me. If they need a plane ticket home, I want them to know they can contact me. I'm not yet sure exactly what I could be saying to them that won't initiate faith transition right them.