My ideal temple recommend interview

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
azflyer

My ideal temple recommend interview

Post by azflyer » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:33 pm

I have seen others post about this and thought I'd weigh in here as well. I'm a little strange. I really enjoy talking about my thoughts and beliefs about religion with people that have different beliefs than me. I'd love to be able to have an open an honest temple recommend interview where I get the opportunity to really elaborate on all of my thoughts and feelings about each question. I've had two priesthood leaders in my life where I would be comfortable having this kind of conversation with them. Sadly, we are programmed in the church to tell people what they want to hear, and that is really sad.

1) Do you have faith in and a testimony of God the Eternal Father, His Son Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost?

Yes, I would like to say I do. But please keep in mind that faith is actually a REALLY, REALLY low bar. Also keep in mind that you didn't ask what kind of testimony I have. I have a testimony, but when I say 'testimony', I'm probably not thinking the same thing you are.

2) Do you have a testimony of the Atonement of Christ and of His role as Savior and Redeemer?

Yes! I think this is one of the most beautiful parts of the gospel. Christ's life gives me so much hope. His teachings inspire me. I truly and whole hardheartedly believe that his actions have brought peace and joy into the lives of countless people. At the same time, I don't believe that he was physically and actually resurrected. By the way, at several points during this interview, I'll be referring back to this question. None of us are perfect, and that is why I'm so grateful for the atonement. It lifts me up and helps me overcome by shortcomings.

3) Do you have a testimony of the restoration of the gospel in these the latter days?

Yes, I would say I do. But again, when I say 'testimony', I'm probably not thinking the same thing you are. Joseph Smith certainly brought about a marvelous work and a wonder here on the earth. But I also believe he was kind of a douche-bag to a lot of people (do you know who Helen Mar Kimbal is?). Oh ya, I also don't believe that the Book of Mormon was actually translated, nor do I believe in its historicity. I believe it was created by Joseph. But yes, I have a testimony of the restoration.

4) Do you sustain the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as the Prophet, Seer, and Revelator and as the only person on the earth who possesses and is authorized to exercise all priesthood keys? Do you sustain members of the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles as prophets, seers, and revelators? Do you sustain the other General Authorities and local authorities of the Church?

Without question, yes. Again, I might define priesthood differently than you. I want to be a member of this church. I want to help support it and make it better. I believe that I can do that by sustaining all of the people in my ward, stake and in the church that have any calling.

5) Do you live the law of chastity?

Yes, I keep the law of chastity as it is defined in the endowment ceremony.

6) Is there anything in your conduct relating to members of your family that is not in harmony with the teachings of the Church?

Umm.... I yell at my kids sometimes. I'm pretty sure that is not in harmony with the teachings of the church. But ya, I certainly do try to be a good decent person.

7) Do you support, affiliate with, or agree with any group or individual whose teachings or practices are contrary to or oppose those accepted by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?

I hate this question. Do you realize you can word this 256 different ways. I mean, literally, you can word this 256 different ways. Let's look at one iteration.

"Do you affiliate with any individual whose practices are contrary to those accepted by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?"

There, that's one way to word it? So, if I affiliate with a gay person at my place of employment, how do I answer this question? If I talk to my gay brother in law how do I answer this question? If I have lunch with my uncle that was excommunicated for apostasy, how do I answer this question. I would need to write a PhD thesis to answer this question completely.

What I can tell you, is that I try really hard to be supportive of the church. But I also recognize that we treat certain groups like crap. And we as a people need to fix that.

8) Do you strive to keep the covenants you have made, to attend your sacrament and other meetings, and to keep your life in harmony with the laws and commandments of the gospel?

I do so strive. And at the same time, I'm very grateful for question number 2, because I fall short of this all the time.

9) Are you honest in your dealings with your fellowmen?

Absolutely. I even try to be nice to people that I buy stuff from on craigslist. :)

10) Are you a full-tithe payer?

I live the law of tithing as defined in D&C. But I also make my contributions directly and confidentially to church headquarters. Not a single person in my stake knows how much money I give to the church. But I absolutely and wholeheartedly believe in my heart that I live the law of tithing.

11) Do your keep the Word of Wisdom?

So, are you really just asking me if I drink, smoke, or consume coffee or tea? Or are you asking me if I eat red meat sparingly? Let's just say that I try to live a healthy life. At times in my life, I've put things in my body that I should not have. But like many of the things on this list, I'm really trying to do my best. Please refer back to number 2.

12) Do you have financial or other obligations to a former spouse or children? If yes, are you current in meeting those obligations?

Not applicable

13) If you have previously received your temple endowment, Do you keep the covenants that you made in the temple?

Seriously, no one does this. Please refer to question 2.

13a) Do you wear the garment both night and day as instructed in the endowment and in accordance with the covenant you made in the temple?

DUDE!!!! Seriously, there are no instructions about garments in the endowment ceremony. I know you're going to read me that statement from the handbook, but I've paid attention. THERE ARE NO INSTRUCTIONS ABOUT HOW TO WEAR THE GARMENTS IN THE ENDOWMENT CEREMONY. So... Umm.... ya, I guess the answer is a solidly vague yes.

(Quick side note, when I just had my TR interview recently, the BP counselor made a side comment after reading the handbook insert. He commented that he thinks God trusts us to make wise decisions about how we wear the garments. I was really happy to hear him say that.)

14) Have there been any sins or misdeeds in your life that should have been resolved with priesthood authorities but have not been?

Well, there was that one time.... Oh, umm.... never mind. No, absolutely not.

15) Do you consider yourself worthy to enter the Lord's house and participate in temple ordinances?

Shouldn't this be the only question here? I think it should be the only question. And the answer is an emphatic YES!

Corsair

Re: My ideal temple recommend interview

Post by Corsair » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:44 pm

azflyer wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:33 pm
15) Do you consider yourself worthy to enter the Lord's house and participate in temple ordinances?

Shouldn't this be the only question here? I think it should be the only question. And the answer is an emphatic YES!
I'm completely with you on this being the "One True Question". I am not trying to be cynical, but I think the existing questions provide just the right amount of control that the LDS institutional church actually wants over the members.

TestimonyLost

Post by TestimonyLost » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:31 pm

I like it. My version is very different, but shares that same spirit of, I just want to say what's REALLY on my mind.

1) Not really but I kind of hope this life extends beyond death. Don't get me wrong, I really don't think it does but it's a nice, comforting thought sometimes.

2) I believe in the good stuff he taught and reject the bad but don't really believe the Son of God walked the Earth 2,000 years ago.

3) Oh *#%@ no (only said through gasps for air because I've been laughing uncontrollably for a minute)

4) I guess? He's the guy the VPs voted to put in so who else would lead this train wreck? And sure I agree that he has all the keys of the priesthood power that the Mormon church believes in. I also agree that Rey now has all the ancient Jedi teachings in her possession. I believe in them just about equally.

5-14) Have you ever asked yourself how ridiculous it is that you ask these intimately personal questions and just expect people to answer? I barely know you!!!

15) My worthiness is immaterial because oh my holy heck why would I want to go be that bored again?

Ah day dreams.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:41 pm

It's been several years since I last had one of these interviews. It's interesting to imagine what it would be like to answer openly. I'm afraid I might get stuck on the first question, and perhaps I don't want to admit to myself what my answer is, let alone express it to anyone else.

Last time, I just answered in the same way I always had, though with a lot of unspoken nuance. Although I take things (glacially?) slowly, I would find that more challenging now. I'd have to find a balance between pragmatism and accuracy in my answers.

My ideal version might change up the questions a little and make it more of a discussion than an interview. For example:

1. Why do you suppose people believe in God? Are their reasons valid? Does it matter whether their reasons are valid? By what standards might we consider their validity?
2. How can we make sense of the Atonement? What does faith in Christ do for people? How might the world be different without religion?
3. What are the most surprising or otherwise fascinating things you've learned about LDS history, or about the development of religion in general?
4. What would you ask an LDS leader if you were granted an interview in which he agreed to answer any question in a straightforward and thorough manner?

And so on.

Cupcake

Post by Cupcake » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:15 pm

I have lots of snarky thoughts but I am usually not confrontational. I think my ideal temple recommend interview would go something like this...

Bishop: I hear your brother is getting married. Would you like a temple recommend?

Me: Yes, please.

Bishop: Here you go.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:13 am

Cupcake wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:15 pm
I have lots of snarky thoughts but I am usually not confrontational. I think my ideal temple recommend interview would go something like this...

Bishop: I hear your brother is getting married. Would you like a temple recommend?

I have it on some authority that you can have this conversation with NewNameNoah (the guy who filmed the temple videos) and he might be able to get a recommend to you.

Cupcake

Post by Cupcake » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:23 pm

Corsair wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:13 am
I have it on some authority that you can have this conversation with NewNameNoah (the guy who filmed the temple videos) and he might be able to get a recommend to you.
I listened to the Mormon Stories interview with NewNameNoah. What a guy. Even though I see how many people would find his actions disrespectful, I cannot help but admire his commitment to revealing truth and helping others.

I have a brother and sister who have already gotten married. I couldn't go to either of their weddings. It wouldn't matter if I had a temple recommend because I am not endowed. In order to be included in a temple wedding one needs both a current temple recommend and to have received their endowments. The only way I could have been endowed at 18 was if beat my brother to it and got married first.

I have another brother who most likely will temple marriage at some point. It would tempting to ask NewNameNoah for a temple recommend. But my parents know that I am not endowed and I don't feel comfortable with lying even if the LDS church is (when they are the ones doing it).

I just wish that the LDS church did not have intrusive interviews. I wish that they did not exclude people from weddings. I wish that they would quit promoting a culture that looks down on people who decide to get married outside of the temple.

MerrieMiss

Post by MerrieMiss » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:58 pm

This question always brings out the five year old in me:
13 Do you wear the garment both night and day as instructed in the endowment and in accordance with the covenant you made in the temple?
There's only one way to find out. I'll show you mine if you show me yours. You go first. :lol:

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:26 pm

Cupcake wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:15 pm

This.