What are you doing during GC?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
IT_Veteran

What are you doing during GC?

Post by IT_Veteran » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:43 am

Last few GC's, I've decided to work instead of watch. Now that I'm out to DW, family, church leadership I don't have to hide or pretend anymore. Saw the rumors thread and realized I don't have to care what the church announces, though I'm at least marginally interested since DW and kids are still in.

So what is everybody doing that weekend?

I am attending a fly fishing class on Saturday and an on-the-water session on Sunday. And I'll be riding a motorcycle while unshaven. I'm sure my FIL would say I'm inviting disaster, but I think it's just going to be a relaxing weekend.

oliver_denom

Re: What are you doing during GC?

Post by oliver_denom » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:55 am

I'm going to go through my normal routine. Anything interesting will be splashed all over the internet at the end of the day. If something's especially interesting, then I'll wait until its in print and read it.

At this point, I'm more excited about the new Han Solo movie than discovering the latest mandate from heaven.
“You want to know something? We are still in the Dark Ages. The Dark Ages--they haven't ended yet.” - Vonnegut

L'enfer, c'est les autres - JP

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:50 am

Probably time to fertilize the lawn eh?

There's always "exmo church" on Sunday to attend, but then again, that happens every week.

If any of the believers in my house happen to turn it on, I'll find an excuse to exit the residence. There's a trail to be hiked, a bike or a skateboard to be ridden, a neighbor to enjoy a beverage with. In case of inclement weather: Headphones, youtube and podcasts.

Now that I can see through the lies, I can't really stand anything said from the pulpit of the great-and-spacious meeting-room for more than a few minutes before my tooth enamel starts to suffer.
Last edited by wtfluff on Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:57 am

When is it?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:06 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:57 am
When is it?
I hope I get to this point someday. I suppose I’m just early enough in my apostasy that I actively avoid it and think about the fact I’m avoiding it.

It’s Mar 31 - Apr 1. If something doesn’t pan out on Sunday and the audience were to gasp, can they just follow up with an “April Fool’s!”?

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:47 am

“IT_Veteran” wrote:
Red Ryder wrote:When is it?
I hope I get to this point someday. I suppose I’m just early enough in my apostasy that I actively avoid it and think about the fact I’m avoiding it.

It’s Mar 31 - Apr 1. If something doesn’t pan out on Sunday and the audience were to gasp, can they just follow up with an “April Fool’s!”?
Didn’t they swap out a priesthood session for a women’s session on the Saturday night so that both are now once a year?

Somehow I always get stuck going to the priesthood session with my FIL and then out to ice cream after. One time there were about 25 men and boys in white shirts and ties in the ice cream shop and this poor family of normal people eating ice cream looked confused and were wondering what was going on. The guy asked me what we were dressed up for and I casually told him we came from a white shirt convention. :lol:
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

crossmyheart

Post by crossmyheart » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:00 am

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:02 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:47 am
Somehow I always get stuck going to the priesthood session with my FIL and then out to ice cream after. One time there were about 25 men and boys in white shirts and ties in the ice cream shop and this poor family of normal people eating ice cream looked confused and were wondering what was going on. The guy asked me what we were dressed up for and I casually told him we came from a white shirt convention. :lol:
Note To Self: Avoid any, and all vendors who sell anything similar to Ice Cream on the evening of Saturday, March 31, 2018, anywhere near the mormon corridor™.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Linked

Post by Linked » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:35 am

I am NOT going to my sister's cabin. I went there for the last conference and it was super awkward for me. All the adults know I'm out, no one wants to talk about it, and everyone is expected to watch conference. Nope, not this time. I'll come up when it's something else.

My DW will have it on in the house and I will probably catch half of it. My 2 little boys don't yet know of my disaffection, so I will probably sit down for the one session we watch as church for the week. Otherwise I'll work around the house or play video games.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Spicy McHaggis

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:44 am

I'm going to ponderize how happy I am doing something other than watch GC.

Wonderment

Post by Wonderment » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:52 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ice cream- the ultimate "party drug" for folks in religious faiths who abstain from alcohol ( several religious faiths who abstain). Utah and the American West are one of the best places in the world to own an ice cream store - lots of customers. :) - Wndr.
Last edited by Wonderment on Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:40 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:02 am
Red Ryder wrote:
Note To Self: Avoid any, and all vendors who sell anything similar to Ice Cream on the evening of Saturday, March 31, 2018, anywhere near the mormon corridor™.
Add Crown Burger to your list of places to avoid that Saturday night. The place gets mobbed.
Last edited by DPRoberts on Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:10 pm

DPRoberts wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:40 pm
wtfluff wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:02 am
Red Ryder wrote:
Add Crown Burger to your list of places to av
oid that Saturday night. The place gets mobbed.
Yeah, I'd imagine that Swig and Sodalicious are probably a bit crowded on those evenings also.

So I guess we should just say: If you plan on "going out" for food or a treat in the MorCor on the evening of any Saturday conference session: Go to a BAR.

[shudder!] (If you are active / somewhat believing mormon...)

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:07 pm

What will I be doing?

Saturday, cleaning the house, maybe some yard work if it is warm enough. I still have a tree that needs clean up from the nor'easter a couple weeks ago. During the priesthood session, (or whatever it is) watch a movie with DW and share a bottle of wine.

Sunday, probably go out of town to visit my in-laws (They would appreciate the excuse to get out of conference and seeing the grand kids works great for that.) DW will likely do some clothes shopping. She needs to get a outfit or two for a conference she is attending in a couple weeks.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

No Tof

Post by No Tof » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:06 pm

I’m travelling. Might even be in Utah during GC. Is it the last weekend in March or first in April?

Probably go to St. Judas 1st ward if it’s running.
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there.
Rumi

didyoumythme

Post by didyoumythme » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:37 pm

TBM mother is coming to visit so it will be in most of the time...I won’t be able to hold in my snide remarks though so not sure how it will go. I will not be happy to waste a weekend listening to mediocre advice from a buncha old dudes.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being honest, or cease being mistaken. - Anonymous

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:47 pm

Linked wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:35 am
I am NOT going to my sister's cabin. I went there for the last conference and it was super awkward for me. All the adults know I'm out, no one wants to talk about it, and everyone is expected to watch conference. Nope, not this time. I'll come up when it's something else.

My DW will have it on in the house and I will probably catch half of it. My 2 little boys don't yet know of my disaffection, so I will probably sit down for the one session we watch as church for the week. Otherwise I'll work around the house or play video games.
We did this once. Went to the cabin with parents, siblings, and all the kids. My kids were stuck watching conference, which they have never forgotten. They wont get around my family ever again at conference time.
~2bizE

TestimonyLost

Post by TestimonyLost » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:42 am

As I'm still keeping up the act and my wife is super orthodox, I'll be in front of it for all...10...hours. I'm missing Monson already with the thought of a half hour longer priesthood session and no extra Uchtdorf talk.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:54 am

As others have probably noted, I am more interested in conference now that I don't believe. Usually it's a fool's errand to think I will hear something interesting. Most of the time I'm simply seeing what new corporate policy will be on the minds of my believing friends and family for the next few months.

Some things have improved.I have some family in town that have started the tradition of watching the Priesthood session at home and getting Chinese takeout. Conference will just be a noise in the background during other social activities since I assume that nothing of real consequence will take place on the pulpit. If something does happen, one of the faithful will react to it.

Dravin

Post by Dravin » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:07 am

It'll be like any other day of the week with one exception: I'll be keeping out of whichever room the wife is watching conference in.
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.