Just received 'Correlation Research Department Survey'

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
FoundMyOwnWay

Just received 'Correlation Research Department Survey'

Post by FoundMyOwnWay » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:45 pm

Anyone else get this email about a survey and the promise of an Amazon gift card? Looks like corporate wants to know members attitudes towards religious participation. In my opinion there should be much less work put on the members, far too much busywork just to make sure everyone knows how much faith you have. Many people I know are just plain tired of the amount of required work, especially those who have a hard time saying no.

It is from this noreply@qemailserver.com which doesn't sound official at all so it may be junk mail?

Email Contents Below:
"Dear LDS Church Member,

The Church is conducting a survey of member perceptions and attitudes towards religious participation. This survey should take about 20-30 minutes to complete. You will be compensated for your time with an Amazon gift card (e-cards will be sent to all participants who complete the survey). We value the responses of all members, regardless of your current level of activity. Please click the link below to access the survey. Please do not send this link to other members.

Follow this link to the Survey:
"Link Removed"

The Correlation Research Division is the only group authorized by the Brethren to conduct research for the Church. As instructed in Handbook 2, section 21.1.35, “The only authorized research agency of the Church is the Correlation Research Division of the Correlation Department. Representatives of this division use questionnaires and interviews to obtain information on issues of concern to General Authorities.”

If you have any questions about this research effort, please contact James Glenn of the Correlation Research Division at Church headquarters: LDS-Church-Research@ldschurch.org.

Thank you for your help."

græy

Re: Just received 'Correlation Research Department Survey'

Post by græy » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:59 pm

I have never received anything like this. FWIW, the reference to HB 2 21.1.35 is accurate.
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

FoundMyOwnWay

Post by FoundMyOwnWay » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:23 pm

Well I took the survey, I do like amazon gift cards so fingers crossed. The survey was more about ones feelings on religion and spirituality, than on how much work one has to put into the Church like I thought it would be.

Lots of questions to gauge wither or not one prefers religion over spirituality and vice versa. FYI I leaned heavily toward spirituality in this survey. It was weird that in the survey I had to check which religious group I belonged to, since I had assumed this was only sent to members. The survey was also structured so that most of the questions weren't about LDS church specifically, but religion in general. That right there saved them from some of the more negative viewpoints of mine.

I wonder what policy changes, I mean "revelation" the church is trying to pull from this survey?

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:49 pm

Want to have some fun? Go and search LDS employment for the jobs that do these surveys and research. They always seem to be hiring someone. This used to be called the Research Information Division (RID) but was renamed the Correlation Research Division (CRD).

Ironically this is a qualification:

Demonstrated Skills & Abilities:
Ability to think critically and solve problems.

Probably why they are always hiring.

Then go and search linked in to see who works there or has in the past.
Job description
Purposes
This position supports the Correlation Research Division’s assignment to provide timely, relevant, and reliable information to General Authorities and Church administrators to help them respond to the diverse challenges and opportunities of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The Researcher 3 is a fully functioning, journey level position. Under general supervision the incumbent uses generally-accepted methods, skills, and scientific knowledge (usually from the social sciences) to conduct research and produce research information. This typically includes research design, data collection, analysis, and reporting to support senior research staff in fulfilling approved information requests and projects. The incumbent should be trained and experienced in at least one of the following areas: social science research; program evaluation; or product development and evaluation such as user experience research.

Responsibilities

Research 75% - Design research to answer client questions using advanced methods as appropriate. Collect, analyze, and interpret data. Produce research reports and products for sharing results.

Consultation 10% - Consult with clients to provide useful information and answer questions/address their issues.

Scholarship 5% - Develop expertise in multiple areas and develop conceptual products that synthesize ideas.

Leadership 5% - Direct study teams. Help colleagues solve problems. Review colleagues’ plans and products.

Management 5% - Seek innovative ways to solve problems and improve products. Assist in some administrative tasks. Manage risks appropriately (legal, data privacy, etc.).

Success: Development of valid and reliable research information that meets organizational needs in a timely way.

Qualifications
Education:
Master's or PhD degree in the social/behavioral sciences or closely related field.

Work Experience:
Five to seven years professional experience in the social/behavioral sciences or closely related field.

Demonstrated Skills & Abilities:

Ability to think critically and solve problems.
Good oral and written communication skills.
Good organizational and interpersonal skills.

Worthiness Qualification
Must be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and currently temple worthy.

Posting Notice/More Info.
Please Note: All positions are subject to close without notice.
Find out more about the many benefits of Church Employment at http://careers.lds.org.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:07 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:49 pm
Want to have some fun? Go and search LDS employment for the jobs that do these surveys and research. They always seem to be hiring someone. This used to be called the Research Information Division (RID) but was renamed the Correlation Research Division (CRD).
Why did reading that job description send chills up my spine? :shock: Sometimes I feel like I am caught in a horror novel.

Kishkumen

Post by Kishkumen » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:32 am

So how many tithing dollars are used for Amazon gift cards sent to survey responders?

FoundMyOwnWay

Post by FoundMyOwnWay » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:53 pm

That's a good question. I haven't received any gift chard yet, so no idea what they are offering. However, at the end of the survey there was a question asking about doing more surveys for money/gift cards. Something about how the Correlation Research Department is always looking for people to take surveys, and that they would like to know if I would be interested in doing more for money/gift cards. I can't remember the exact wording, but that was the gist of it. I checked no on that one.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:26 pm

Kishkumen wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:32 am
So how many tithing dollars are used for Amazon gift cards sent to survey responders?
They may be farming this type of stuff out to a "Survey" or PR firm, who is then purchasing the gift cards...

Either way, it's Your Tithing Dollars at work. :twisted:
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Kishkumen

Post by Kishkumen » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:55 pm

FoundMyOwnWay wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:53 pm
That's a good question. I haven't received any gift chard yet, so no idea what they are offering. However, at the end of the survey there was a question asking about doing more surveys for money/gift cards. Something about how the Correlation Research Department is always looking for people to take surveys, and that they would like to know if I would be interested in doing more for money/gift cards. I can't remember the exact wording, but that was the gist of it. I checked no on that one.
Dammit, send me the link. I'll take surveys for them.

FoundMyOwnWay

Post by FoundMyOwnWay » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:14 pm

I would, but I don't know if it would work. They specifically said not to share the link. Sorry.

Can of Worms

Post by Can of Worms » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:45 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:26 pm
Kishkumen wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:32 am
They may be farming this type of stuff out to a "Survey" or PR firm, who is then purchasing the gift cards...

Either way, it's Your Tithing Dollars at work. :twisted:
I filled out the survey and am waiting for my Amazon gift card. I look at it as a down-payment on the return of all the tithing money I gave to the Church over the years.
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.” Winston Churchill

Archimedes

Post by Archimedes » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:22 pm

Careful, the question about what religion you belong to is a trap. If you answer some denomination other than LDS that would be admitting to an excommunicable offense.

I received one of these emails very shortly after instructing my bishop to put me on the "Do Not Contact" list. I think disaffected members are targeted for these surveys.
"She never loved you; she loved the church, her one true love. She used you to marry the church by proxy."

-- unknown reddit poster

Can of Worms

Post by Can of Worms » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:22 pm

Archimedes wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:22 pm
Careful, the question about what religion you belong to is a trap. If you answer some denomination other than LDS that would be admitting to an excommunicable offense.

I received one of these emails very shortly after instructing my bishop to put me on the "Do Not Contact" list. I think disaffected members are targeted for these surveys.
I wondered about that too. And if that is the way I go, so be it. Our stake secretary sent an mass email saying they had received many questions about the survey and that it was indeed valid. But, that could have easily been sent to a select few too.... :?
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.” Winston Churchill

Archimedes

Post by Archimedes » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:17 pm

Can of Worms wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:22 pm
I wondered about that too. And if that is the way I go, so be it. Our stake secretary sent an mass email saying they had received many questions about the survey and that it was indeed valid. But, that could have easily been sent to a select few too.... :?
either that or my paranoia is showing. Just be sure not to tell them about your affiliation with fundamentalist polygamist sects in southern Utah.
"She never loved you; she loved the church, her one true love. She used you to marry the church by proxy."

-- unknown reddit poster

FoundMyOwnWay

Post by FoundMyOwnWay » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:19 am

I did feel that I had to put LDS on that question to avoid outing myself, but I was surprised to see it since I had assumed this only went out to members. However, if they look at my other responses they may start to question my loyalty. So far I haven't been called into the Bishops office for a talking to lol.

Has anyone received the promised Amazon gift card? I thought it would take a few days, but it's been over a week and nothing.

Archimedes

Post by Archimedes » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:23 pm

Sorry but the gift certificates are being replaced with 1 dozen zucchini cookies hand baked by Sister Mittleschift and accompanied by a BofM with her personal testimony tucked behind the front page.

Now won't that be better than the crap you would have bought on Amazon?

-- unknown reddit poster

Can of Worms

Post by Can of Worms » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:32 pm

Just to close the loop - I received my gift card by email. What should I do with $7.66 CDN? I'm open to suggestions. :roll:

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:40 pm

Can of Worms wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:32 pm
Just to close the loop - I received my gift card by email. What should I do with $7.66 CDN? I'm open to suggestions. :roll:
New hip flask? Or new heathen underwear?

FoundMyOwnWay

Post by FoundMyOwnWay » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:05 pm

I still haven't seen a gift card, nor any zucchini cookies. You must of answered all of the questions correctly.

I am however being pestered by someone in the new Elder's quorum presidency about a quick meeting. I assumed it was for a calling I will need to turn down, but maybe the church passed along some of my "confidential" answers and he wants to discuss that instead. That would be something.

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:15 pm

When they call an EQP, they’re encouraged to pray and seek answers for how to bring back lost members. Each of our auxiliary organizations was supposed to name someone they were going to work on bringing back - and then discuss them at each WC. We were also supposed to do a PPI with everybody in the quorum, home visits and all that. It’s likely just an overzealous new guy.