This made me bloody angry

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Meilingkie

This made me bloody angry

Post by Meilingkie » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:41 am

2f5838f6d86b6ed9f1aa8639c14584d1.jpg
2f5838f6d86b6ed9f1aa8639c14584d1.jpg (60.21 KiB) Viewed 5089 times
Why then did priests not get the inspiration to build the Saturn V?
Or to build the telescope?
Or do any invention using the scientific method.
Why did we have to wait for scientists and the renaissance to jumpstart our civilization??

We had bloody priests who can draw from His knowledge and wisdom?
ANd they did nothing to advance the human race. They held us back.

And now we teach our children that knowing, that science is not obedience, on the contrary.
"Getting the Mormon out of the Church is easier than getting the Mormon out of the Ex-Mormon"

Corsair

Re: This made me bloody angry

Post by Corsair » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:40 am

The assumption in this attitude by religious people is that God's unlimited wisdom is readily available to us. I'm not claiming that God does not exist. On the contrary, I would be happy with an omni-benevolent God in charge. But the LDS ordering of the cosmos does not hold up well. God's unlimited wisdom is filtered through LDS leaders and that's where the problems start. How many apologetic explanations for an extensive list of poor decisions gets explained by "speaking as a man, not as a prophet" or "prophets are fallible" or "the imperfections of men".

The wisdom of God is only lauded when some sacrifice turns out well for the limited mortal. But this bit of advice will not get trotted out when an over-zealous LDS leader kills a bunch of settlers in southern Utah, or the prophet marries your wife, or LDS leaders purchase forged documents, or yet another homeless, gay teenager comes to a tragic end.

In LDS thought, "Obedience is a choice" translates into "Do what your leaders tell you and stop complaining". The much better advice would be, "Spend some in in study and meditation and figure out what is truly going to work best for your life." But a lot of people would use that power deciding that the LDS church is irrelevant to them.

fh451

Post by fh451 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:19 pm

I'm sure they don't see the irony (and I know I didn't as a TBM) that "free agency" was the alleged purpose of the war in heaven. Now you only have to make one choice: surrender your agency to the church. They may say "God", but for all practical purposes, it's the church. I'm sure you all remember Jesus' response to the pharisees when they asked him what was the greatest commandment, and Jesus said "Be obedient to your church leaders, for such is the first law of heaven." Yup, I'm sure it's in there somewhere...

fh451

LSOF

Post by LSOF » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:31 pm

Quoth the Dalek,

Code: Select all

I OBEY!
"I appreciate your flesh needs to martyr me." Parture

"There is no contradiction between faith and science --- true science." Dr Zaius

Pastor, Lunar Society of Friends; CEO, Faithful Origins and Ontology League

Meilingkie

Post by Meilingkie » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:34 pm

fh451 wrote:I'm sure you all remember Jesus' response to the pharisees when they asked him what was the greatest commandment, and Jesus said "Be obedient to your church leaders, for such is the first law of heaven." Yup, I'm sure it's in there somewhere...
fh451
Yup, he also said to the rich youngman: Sell everything you have, and give it to my twelve disciples.
"Getting the Mormon out of the Church is easier than getting the Mormon out of the Ex-Mormon"

General Nuisance

Post by General Nuisance » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:06 am

Hi FH451. "You said Yup, I'm sure it's in there somewhere..."
What you meant was: "Yup I'm sure it's in there NOWHERE..." Oh the joy of sarcasm.

oximormon

Post by oximormon » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:45 am

I think it really reads:

Obedience is a choice.
Its a choice between our own limited knowledge & power & God's unlimited wisdom & omnipotence.

And by God's unlimited wisdom & omnipotence, we mean the earthly representatives of God,
you know; the prophets and apostles and general authorities of the church!

Obedience.... its the first law of heaven.

hiding in plain sight

Post by hiding in plain sight » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:24 am

Obedience is a choice.

I think he got that one correct.

The test of this life is all about the decisions we do and do not make. For mormons who refuse to open their eyes and see what is right in front of them, that is their choice. They can't blame anyone else if it turns out that thy are following lies and deceptions. They have to own where they placed their obedience.

Time is not a TBM's friend. With time, their posterity will know that they refused to think for themselves. That they were lemmings to the sea. That they were willfully blind,when all they had to do was just open their eyes.

But NO. They CHOSE to be led by the nose by those who did not deserve their trust. Yet they gave it anyway.

Obedience is a choice. Open your eyes and see.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:47 am

The image is awesome too. God's light is not filling the universe, but rather the Brethrens' light is flooding outward from Utah into the universe. All hail!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."