Return and Report- Smelders Quorum Mtg the First

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Archimedes

Return and Report- Smelders Quorum Mtg the First

Post by Archimedes » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:54 pm

I didn't go but would be curious to hear how the new Smelders Quorum meeting went. Was yours truly historic?
"She never loved you; she loved the church, her one true love. She used you to marry the church by proxy."

-- unknown reddit poster

w2mz

Re: Return and Report- Smelders Quorum Mtg the First

Post by w2mz » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:20 pm

Bishop, counselors, and assigned HCer took our whole meeting telling us what they knew and didn’t know so far.

Also, “those guys” letting the rest of the group know THEY know it’s all inspired and proves we’re on the verge of a growth explosion. (Yep. You heard it here first).
The church has engineered your eternal family into a commodity that can be purchased with an annual fee. The fact that full tithing payment is a requirement for saving ordinances is the biggest red flag imaginable. Hagoth

lostinmiddlemormonism

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:44 pm

Ours was best summed up as follows, choose one:

1. A rose by any other name
2. The king is dead, long live the king
3. SSDD

Archimedes

Post by Archimedes » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:10 pm

Sounds like Situation Normal.
"She never loved you; she loved the church, her one true love. She used you to marry the church by proxy."

-- unknown reddit poster

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:53 pm

w2mz wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:20 pm
Also, “those guys” letting the rest of the group know THEY know it’s all inspired and proves we’re on the verge of a growth explosion. (Yep. You heard it here first).
Somebody ought to tell "those guys" that combining groups is not historically indicative of things that are growing. :roll:
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Brent

Post by Brent » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:18 pm

I imagine it will be like thanksgiving dinner with 7 or 8 crazy uncles instead of 1 or 2...

Unbroken

Post by Unbroken » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:25 pm

Heart of Utah ward. 125 now on the EQ role 33 there. I think this is why they combined.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:39 pm

I usually attend Priests quorum (I am YM secretary) but today I thought I would see what councils looked like with this reconstituted Elders Quorum. It was fine but nothing amazing. I will grant that the outgoing EQ pres and HP group leader were still in place and just led the group in a discussion on service and it was benign. I'm not expecting transcendence, after all. Having the older guys was amusing but did not really change the group dynamic. Without some new curriculum it's just going to be back to the usual discussion and reuse of conference talks.

oliver_denom

Post by oliver_denom » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:17 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:53 pm
w2mz wrote:
Somebody ought to tell "those guys" that combining groups is not historically indicative of things that are growing. :roll:
Maybe they're thinking that closing wards and stakes, then eliminating callings and consolidating quorums is some sort of grand restructuring plan that will make the organization more profitable? I don't know...
“You want to know something? We are still in the Dark Ages. The Dark Ages--they haven't ended yet.” - Vonnegut

L'enfer, c'est les autres - JP

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:03 am

I didn’t go but this is how the new revelation was explained to me:

Home Teaching/HP & EQ

Ministering/ EQ

Isn’t it marvelous!!!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Archimedes

Post by Archimedes » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:26 am

Um, triangles are inherently more stable than rectangles?

-- unknown reddit poster

Archimedes

Post by Archimedes » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:32 am

Unbroken wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:25 pm
Heart of Utah ward. 125 now on the EQ role 33 there. I think this is why they combined.
^
|
|
This. PH meeting is so uninspired it is hard to get even the TBMs to make a showing.

-- unknown reddit poster

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:48 am

Ours didn't even happen. Our stake is taking the one ward at a time approach and we are towards the end of the list. The next 3-4 weeks are going to see some very trunky unmotivated EQ and HPG leaders waiting to be released.

The Beast

Post by The Beast » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:57 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:53 pm
w2mz wrote:
Well, the self deception/delusion might be...
Are you on the square? Are you on the level?

Bremguy

Post by Bremguy » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:17 pm

From the Pacific Northwest:

It was nothing spectacular, with the ex HP and EQ President leading. It was ok, I guess, we will have to see as more gets ironed out.
We had 24 attend the combined meeting. That is about what the HP had several years ago attend, but we have lost several to death, and some to moving.

Saturday evening, we had a meeting with the SP and his councilors. Mostly we learned, we were all summarily released. The SP is working on calling people. So far, they have called 5 new EQ Presidents, but not in our ward yet. I got the impression, the SP was somewhat informed of the changes, but nothing of the details.

There is a saying. Nothing to write home about. That about sums it up for me.
Live Long and Prosper

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:40 pm

I read a couple of posts on another website where the members (especially those dismissed from their posts) were pissed at this change and were very vocal about it.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha