3 Things I have questions about

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
IT_Veteran

Re: 3 Things I have questions about

Post by IT_Veteran » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:48 am

I've seen that too, but it's a lot different outside of Utah or specific areas like Mesa.

In Washington, California, Texas, etc. everybody that shows up regularly is going to have a calling. At some point, if you're in the ward long enough, it's going to be in a presidency of leadership of some sort. They eventually start running out of other people. That's one of the reasons I think they've changed the EQP/HP meeting separately to what we have now. They keep pulling younger guys from EQP into leadership callings that require HP ordination. Until recently, they could never put those guys back in EQ. They'd get farmed around to young men's or SS presidency, but eventually they'd age out of young men's too. Or they'd get pulled for HC because the stake needs people in those.

Inside Utah? Whole different story. Don't conform and meet the ideal of what a priesthood leader looks like, you're not getting called.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:26 pm

IT_Veteran wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:48 am
I've seen that too, but it's a lot different outside of Utah or specific areas like Mesa.

In Washington, California, Texas, etc. everybody that shows up regularly is going to have a calling. At some point, if you're in the ward long enough, it's going to be in a presidency of leadership of some sort. They eventually start running out of other people. That's one of the reasons I think they've changed the EQP/HP meeting separately to what we have now. They keep pulling younger guys from EQP into leadership callings that require HP ordination. Until recently, they could never put those guys back in EQ. They'd get farmed around to young men's or SS presidency, but eventually they'd age out of young men's too. Or they'd get pulled for HC because the stake needs people in those.

Inside Utah? Whole different story. Don't conform and meet the ideal of what a priesthood leader looks like, you're not getting called.

I am not in Utah. My ward's sacrament attendance is around 70.

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:02 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:26 pm

I am not in Utah. My ward's sacrament attendance is around 70.
I think that’s about what attendance is like in my wife’s ward too. But of those 70, we had 5-7 regularly attend EQ. Everyone else was tied up in primary, YM, or HP. Seems like they usually had 5-7 in HP too. We had three (at my last count) members of our small ward on the stake HC and the SP was from our ward as well. We’re avout an hour from the stake center, so they didn’t usually attend our ward.