TBM in laws in my ward..

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
whatififly

Re: TBM in laws in my ward..

Post by whatififly » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:52 pm

Thanks everyone for your support and suggestions. After reading through everything I definitely feel less alone but am still not entirely sure what I will do. DH says play alone, occasional church to appease them. I'm trying to embrace that idea- after all, like one of you mentioned, it may be less painful to sit through it now that I don't believe. It sure would be disappointing to keep going to church after feeling so relieved about deciding I didn't need to go anymore! Also, I don't want my kids indoctrinated! How can I avoid indoctrination if they keep going? Any thoughts on that?
“There is freedom waiting for you, on the breezes of the sky, and you ask "What if I fall?" Oh but my darling, what if you fly?” ― Erin Hanson

Proud Doubter of Dubious Doctrines

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:24 pm

JustHangingOn@57 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:27 am
c) Things to note:
- if you do not believe in God, you die, & there is no God - then you no longer exist & it is over
- if you believe in God, you die, & there is no God - then you no longer exist & it is over, but you lived a good life
- if you do not believe in God, you die, & there is a God - you are toast
- if you believe in God, you die, & there is a God - the rewards will be awesome
I think there may be another option to this variation on Pascal's wager. What if there is a God and he has reserved a special waiting area for Mormons called The Limbo Room? In that room, they could have endless rounds of prayer, talks, singing, and bearing witness that they are in the true waiting area. Since you refused their line of thought, you will be ushered to the main reception area for orientation to your new home in the hereafter.

Hard to predict the reactions by TBM in-laws ahead of time. Probably being true to yourselves and hoping for the best would be the wisest course of action.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:23 am

whatififly wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:52 pm
Also, I don't want my kids indoctrinated! How can I avoid indoctrination if they keep going? Any thoughts on that?
I got nothing, but I am listening intently to the answers.

We get letters from my son who is on a mission, he sounds super-TBM right now. Lots of "everyone needs to study and ponder the GC talks" and I know this is the one true church stuff. It breaks my heart. :cry:

I pray that he can be pulled out of this somehow, someday...

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:31 am

slavereeno wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:23 am
I pray that he can be pulled out of this somehow, someday...
I hope my kids all 'see the light' eventually too. I can only take heart in the stories of others that have family members leave eventually. My exmo brother waited silently for 20 years before I left. He found out when I sent him the email I planned to send to everyone else to announce my own apostasy. Because these are things we never talk about, can't talk about, it's often a surprise to those that are closest to us when we do make that leap. Even my brother, who I knew would understand, was kept in the dark until I was ready to tell everybody.

I don't have any answers to the indoctrination question either, other than to say it's okay to have frank conversations with your kids after church. My TBM DW also recognizes that its important to have age-appropriate church history discussions with our kids so they aren't lied to. Let the indoctrinators cast doubt for them, IMO.

John G.

Post by John G. » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:41 pm

but be warned, sometimes if he is having a hard time getting through, he may send a tragedy your way, to help break down the wall that you may have unknowingly built.
GOD: You sure got a nice happy family there, it suure would be unfortunate if something happened to them. You wouldn’t that to happen now would you? I don’t want anything to happen either, but ya know, stuff happens.....You may really want to consider some of the fire insurance I’m sellen! I think you’re going to need it! Only 10% of your income!

Extortion! Bringing people to god since Adam and Eve!
Last edited by John G. on Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If your children are taught untruths on evolution in the public schools or even in our Church schools, provide them with a copy of President Joseph Fielding Smith's excellent rebuttal in his book Man, His Origin and Destiny."

Ezra Taft Benson

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:03 pm

John G. wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:41 pm
but be warned, sometimes if he is having a hard time getting through, he may send a tragedy your way, to help break down the wall that you may have unknowingly built.
GOD: You sure got a nice happy family there, it suure would be unfortunate is something happened to them. You wouldn’t that to happen now would you? I don’t want anything to happen either, but ya know, stuff happens.....You may really want to consider some of the fire insurance I’m sellen! I think you’re going to need it! Only 10% of your income!

Extortion! Bringing people to god since Adam and Eve!
I just realized that Mormon god is a mob boss.

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:34 am

I was asking my TBM friend how it was God was going to keep loving families apart in the terrestrial kingdom. Is it like invisible force fields?