President Nelson's Message to Kenya

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Mormorrisey

Re: President Nelson's Message to Kenya

Post by Mormorrisey » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:45 am

wtfluff wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:12 am
I'm trying to remember if I truly believed this craziness when I was in. I know they've constantly preached the prosperity gospel, and that "the windows of heaven" would open from paying tithing, but I don't remember any blatant statements like "tithing can break the cycles of poverty." It's easy to use plausible deniability or move the goalposts with "the windows of heaven" BS; But claiming that tithing can break the cycles of poverty should be statistically provable.

Anyone else remember actually believing this drivel?
Yes. Yes I did.

It only became obvious to me during my faith transition, that the ups and downs of my finances had absolutely nothing to do with the tithing I paid, the offerings I offered, or the personal righteousness I achieved. It had everything to do with the jobs I had and the salary I was being paid. Once the matrix was revealed, it became very easy to see this.

That's why, and I believe it, you can see the church as the ultimate MLM, making grandiose promises about your product that have no basis in quantifiable reality, but everyone involved seems to buy without question.

And I was a huge sucker. Not any more! But it's a crying shame, at the same time, that this message is going out to the people who can least afford to pay their 10%. Not good.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

No Tof

Post by No Tof » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:38 am

Mormorrisey wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:45 am
wtfluff wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:12 am
I'm trying to remember if I truly believed this craziness when I was in. I know they've constantly preached the prosperity gospel, and that "the windows of heaven" would open from paying tithing, but I don't remember any blatant statements like "tithing can break the cycles of poverty." It's easy to use plausible deniability or move the goalposts with "the windows of heaven" BS; But claiming that tithing can break the cycles of poverty should be statistically provable.

Anyone else remember actually believing this drivel?
Yes. Yes I did.

It only became obvious to me during my faith transition, that the ups and downs of my finances had absolutely nothing to do with the tithing I paid, the offerings I offered, or the personal righteousness I achieved. It had everything to do with the jobs I had and the salary I was being paid. Once the matrix was revealed, it became very easy to see this.

That's why, and I believe it, you can see the church as the ultimate MLM, making grandiose promises about your product that have no basis in quantifiable reality, but everyone involved seems to buy without question.

And I was a huge sucker. Not any more! But it's a crying shame, at the same time, that this message is going out to the people who can least afford to pay their 10%. Not good.
I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I too was a believer in this. I really thought that my monetary success was because I had always paid. Paid and paid and well you get the drift. It was an expensive tuition to the "how to get royally f'd (fleeced for sensitive ears) by an institution.

The proof is in the past few years of not paying and seeing that things only get better when you invest the 10% in other fun venues.

No thunderbolts from Zeus, no catastrophic fails in the No Tof family financial picture.

It's an easy experiment. Just put the tithes and offerings in an account; wait for a couple of months, years, or decades and if you find your life goes to hell, pay it to see if the windows open.

If not, go to Hawaii.
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there.
Rumi

JustHangingOn@57

Post by JustHangingOn@57 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:20 am

When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said 'Let us pray.' We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land

Desmond Tutu