For the Geeks among us...

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
slavereeno

For the Geeks among us...

Post by slavereeno » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:21 am

So I am a Star Trek TNG fan... :ugeek:

I have been re-watching the series since my faith transition and find that I enjoy them quite a bit more than I did in my TBM youth. Particularly this episode:

Season 4, Episode 13 "Devil's Due"

When I watched it in my teens (I was very TBM at that point) this episode bothered me, a lot. I recently watched it, and its probably one of my favorites! I felt like it spoke to my faith transition in a very profound way and rang true, very true. I think it related very closely to the Tithing questions being posed on another thread here on the board, if you substitute President Nelson for "Ardra" in the story you get my meaning.. Sometimes I feel very much like Capt. Picard in a battle for my "soul"

:geek:

Corsair

Re: For the Geeks among us...

Post by Corsair » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:23 am

Help us out. I'm not geeky enough to recognize individual episodes by title or season. What happened and who was Ardra?

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:59 am

Tl;Dr version:

A planet that has enjoyed prosperity and peace for 1000 years is visited by "Ardra" (that planet's version of the devil) whom they supposedly made a pact with 1000 years ago. The Ardra that shows up displays some show of power and they whole planet is ready to enslave themselves to her to repay their part of the bargain. The Enterprise shows up and Picard sets out to debunk the Ardra myth to free the people, trying to show that their prosperity and peace was their own doing and not because of supernatural influence.

The most unrealistic part of the entire story is that after being debunked, the people of the planet accept the debunking...

It is available on Netflix if you are the StarTrek type...

Linked

Post by Linked » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:01 pm

I saw the title and knew this post was for me.

I don't think I've watched this episode since my faith transition, but I remember the episode and how hard it was for Picard to convince the people. That rings true. I guess in a 45 minute episode they didn't have time to show the people who dug their heels in...
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:42 pm

Acost Jared: Thank you, Captain Picard. You saved our lives.
Captain Jean-Luc Picard: No, Jared. As I've tried to tell you, you saved your own lives a long time ago.