Bracing for impact

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

Bracing for impact

Post by Hagoth » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:23 pm

They announced the new HPG leadership yesterday. That means I'll be back on the radar. The last time it happened people were all of a sudden worried about me and trying to get me to start attending HPG again. Fortunately, they eventually forgot about me again, but with new leaders comes new ambition and the weight of a new mantle. Has anybody else noticed this pattern?

Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised this time but the new Group Leader is one of those gung-ho sparkly-eyed types who absolutely loves the church and everything about it and can't understand why everybody in the world isn't waking up on Sunday morning excited to rush to their first meeting. He's a great guy and I really like him, but he's not the kind of person you could even begin to talk to about personal reasons for doubt. Once I shared a long drive with him to set up for an out-of-town youth activity. This was when I was on the verge of my disaffection and the entire trip he just went on and on about how wonderful the church is and how happy it makes everyone who keeps the commandments and how grateful he is to have the wisdom of a living prophet in his life and on and on and on. Every time I tried to change the subject he would immediately go back to, "that reminds me of the time the prophet..."

So, I'm bracing for impact because he has chosen two counselors cut from the same cloth. These are people who wouldn't read an essay or RSR if their lives depended on it, so there is no chance of a reasonable meeting of the minds it they do try to fix me, I am preparing to be pushed further into the deceived-and-dark-countenanced category, and for Mrs. Hagoth to start getting those sad pity looks again, and the sympathetic pats on the back.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Red Ryder

Re: Bracing for impact

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:31 pm

It's like a bad yo yo diet. The worst part is having to reset the boundaries you've worked so hard to achieve with the prior leaders.

I went through this with a new Bishop a few years ago. Then an EQP who still brings donuts. And don't forget the new home teachers who introduce themselves every few months.

I think you should fire off a couple of warning shots. Although, my favorite is to just look at them with a sly grin on your face that gives them a small hint you have no idea why they are concerned about you.

We should write a book about navigating amongst TBMs.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

fh451

Post by fh451 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:13 pm

Hagoth wrote:This was when I was on the verge of my disaffection and the entire trip he just went on and on about how wonderful the church is and how happy it makes everyone who keeps the commandments and how grateful he is to have the wisdom of a living prophet in his life and on and on and on. Every time I tried to change the subject he would immediately go back to, "that reminds me of the time the prophet..."
Wow - even when I was a TBM I think I would have found this guy insufferable! Leaders do indeed start out with a new sense of purpose and idealism when they are first called, but experience usually beats some of it out of them. In the mean time, about all I can do is wish you "good luck"!

fh451

HighMaintenance

Post by HighMaintenance » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:35 pm

The leadership changed in the ward where I live recently. Letters started arriving from my new VT and then one from the new HTs. "Please call us and set up a time when we can come and waste your evening!" They all go directly in the garbage, much like spam email does.

One evening, NeverMo DH got the mail and opened a VT letter. He noticed that it had the bishops phone number, so, without my prompting, he called and left a message, very politely asking the guy to tell his people to quit harassing me and my daughter (who is living with us).

About a month later, the bish calls, in the middle of the day and leaves a message for my husband, wanting him to call him back. Unfortunately, our cordless phones were fritzing out and he couldn't call him back.

We've since gotten rid of the cordless phones that were acting up, along with the answering machine base and just have a regular phone. Don't know if he's tried to call again since we don't have an answering machine, but I haven't gotten any letters since then!

I'll probably be resigned by the time they change leadership again.
Somewhere on a toilet wall I read the words 'You form a line to formalize the former lies.' And I finally saw the truth - Slipknot

Bosch

Post by Bosch » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:55 am

We went through a change in HPG leadership recently. The only request of me has been to teach a lesson once. I haven't been given a home teaching route and they are treating me like have a highly communicable disease. Which suits me fine. So maybe your impact will be a welcome one, Hagoth.
"Once you label me, you negate me." S. Kierkegaard

Batman

Post by Batman » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:29 pm

Good luck Hagoth! I hope they can just let you be.

I was approached at church today by the HPGL who wanted to ask me a "personal" question. He asked me if I was a HP because I was on their records as one, but thought it might have been a mistake. (He thought I was too young.) I assured him that I was and had been for quite a while. One of the other group leaders saw my name on their list and had no idea who I was. He said, "Brother Batman? Oh, he has been in the primary for a long time."

I hope they don't get any ideas either.

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:06 am

Spin the leadership roulette wheel!

SunbeltRed

Post by SunbeltRed » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:14 am

Fun times!

I've been a bit surprised at the lack of interest my HPG leadership has shown in my inactivity. But a blessing I guess since I don't have to do a whole lot of boundary maintenance.

Might be worth it to take Red Ryder's advice. Fire a couple of pre-emotive shots, but maybe you will fly under the radar and they just know at this point to leave you alone.

Let us know how things proceed.

Bosch

Post by Bosch » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:28 pm

Well, I jinxed myself with that post. After church, the HPG leader delivered my HT assignment. My companion and people assigned to me are all absolute nutters.
"Once you label me, you negate me." S. Kierkegaard

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:32 am

Bosch wrote:Well, I jinxed myself with that post. After church, the HPG leader delivered my HT assignment. My companion and people assigned to me are all absolute nutters.
When that happened to me I said, "I'm perfectly fine with the one family I'm visiting now, and my wife as a companion. I will continue to do that if you don't mind." And they complied.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

RGiles

Post by RGiles » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:37 pm

Bosch wrote:Well, I jinxed myself with that post. After church, the HPG leader delivered my HT assignment. My companion and people assigned to me are all absolute nutters.
Just look him in the eye and tell him, "I have no desire to home teach at this time."