Relevance of Proclamation on the Family

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
ap1054

Relevance of Proclamation on the Family

Post by ap1054 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:24 pm

I heard or read somewhere that a study was conducted at BYU and the researchers found that only 15% 'ish of families in the LDS church fit the mold of what the "ideal" family should be (according to the definition in the Proc to the World).

Has anyone heard of this study or something similar to it? If so, would love to get my hands on it.

Bremguy

Re: Relevance of Proclamation on the Family

Post by Bremguy » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:46 pm

I know my family never quite fit the mold. I am disabled with MS and my wife worked.

Now, it is just myself and my wife.

But, it would be interesting to find the study.

Any way, family is what you make it.
Live Long and Prosper

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:45 pm

Bremguy wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:46 pm
Any way, family is what you make it.
I totally agree, but this is outside the model espoused in the Proclamation on the Family. There is a pall of orthodox expectation that burdens families that don't fit the standard model.

dogbite

Post by dogbite » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:56 pm

The PotF is a move to give the church legal standing in contesting laws regarding marriage, adoption and so on. That's its relevance. Without standing (in other words the law directly affects you) you can't sue.

SeeNoEvil

Post by SeeNoEvil » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:15 pm

When the proclamation first came out the bishop read it over the pulpit. I was sitting in the congregation with my family that consisted of me, a single divorced mom with my 8 kids with one being pregnant, unmarried, and 17 and another one yet to come out. . It was a huge shelf cracking moment. The proclamation confirmed I had failed as a mother and wife. Now I see it as nothing more than hurtful words put out by a bunch of old delusional men who haven't a clue what family is all anout!
"Every event that has taken place in this universe has led you to this moment.
... The real question is, what will you do with this moment?" - Unknown

"Never arrive @ a point where you know everything - Korihor57

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:19 pm

SeeNoEvil wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:15 pm
When the proclamation first came out the bishop read it over the pulpit. I was sitting in the congregation with my family that consisted of me, a single divorced mom with my 8 kids with one being pregnant, unmarried, and 17 and another one yet to come out. . It was a huge shelf cracking moment. The proclamation confirmed I had failed as a mother and wife. Now I see it as nothing more than hurtful words put out by a bunch of old delusional men who haven't a clue what family is all anout!
I never saw a problem with it, I'm ashamed to say. I never thought about how it impacted those that didn't have that. Now I understand and it's horrifying to think of the things I said defending it.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:30 pm

ap1054 wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:24 pm
I heard or read somewhere that a study was conducted at BYU and the researchers found that only 15% 'ish of families in the LDS church fit the mold of what the "ideal" family should be (according to the definition in the Proc to the World).
Sounds like much of what the church "teaches".

Unattainable, impossible to reach "goals" that they use to constantly beat you into submission with.

Edit: A possibly better name I've heard for the "proc" is: The Proclamation Against The Family, because as mentioned, very few families actually fit into that mold.
Last edited by wtfluff on Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:37 pm

Let’s talk about it’s relevance: It’s called “The Family: A Proclamation to the World”. And the World says “Hmmm...never heard of it”.

It’s just a self-important press release from a small religion with delusions of grandeur that no one else really cares about.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:07 am

SeeNoEvil wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:15 pm
Yep^
All it does is highlight the pain and shame of people who don't fit the ideal. It's cruel, really.

I liked this podcast form RFM. It really tears it down quite nicely.

https://mormondiscussionpodcast.org/201 ... ion-world/
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Archimedes

Post by Archimedes » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:52 am

I think that someone not familiar with Mormonism and just living an everyday modern life would read the Proclamation and be led immediately to the conclusion that this religion is anti-LGBTQ. And misogynistic. It espouses a 1950s world view where Hillary Clinton really should have stayed home and baked cookies. I find it particularly horrific that the church is still heaping guilt and shame on women who either choose to, or have to, work outside the home.

Cheesers.
"She never loved you; she loved the church, her one true love. She used you to marry the church by proxy."

-- unknown reddit poster

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:15 pm

We memorized it as a family when challenged to do so by our biship. :oops:

dogbite

Post by dogbite » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:54 pm

I've shredded every copy that came into the house. Nobody has ever noticed.