Reading r/exmormon during stake conference

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
TheRoadSouth

Reading r/exmormon during stake conference

Post by TheRoadSouth » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:11 am

DW is at a convention so I’m here with the boys myself, reading Reddit and enjoying the discussions there FAR more than the diahhrea of the mouth crap that the new stake presidency is spewing out of their mouths. Makes me want to thrust all of it out my velvet bunghole for good.

We sang “We Thank thee o God for a Prophet “, and the words, for the first time in my life, made me feel sick. I can see now what the words really are teaching. Do you now “re-analyze” hymns and stuff like that now?

Reuben

Re: Reading r/exmormon during stake conference

Post by Reuben » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:01 am

I re-analyze everything church-related now. I can't let any of it enter my mind without evaluating it for truth, goodness, and lack of manipulation.

What I found when I was still attending was that most was either true, unverifiable, or reasonably disputable. Half was good, a quarter was neutral, and a quarter was bad. About a quarter was laced with manipulation of some kind. The sessions of GC I watched this year followed the same pattern.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Perfigliano

Post by Perfigliano » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:46 am

I have a TBM friend who hates that hymn because it comes off as prophet worship. It has made me feel sick since my FC.
Integrity is more important than loyalty.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:15 pm

I refrain from singing quite a few hymns in the 20s in the hymnal.

Those and the hymns that have the theme of battling people, how they are wrong, we are right, and they'll be sorry. Also that sacrament hymn about proving ourselves worthy of Jesus' sacrifice sucks too.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:27 pm

TheRoadSouth wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:11 am
Do you now “re-analyze” hymns and stuff like that now?
Yes, I do this too, with hymns, lessons, etc.

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Tue May 01, 2018 8:33 am

I felt sick during we thank thee for a prophet for the first time recently as well. I cannot stand praise to the man and won’t sing it.